BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #45
McClane
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Coupe Alpine White

So as I was typing my response earlier in the day apparently a cop was writing me a ticket at the same time. Wish I was making this up. I even said in my post a few posts back that I've been fine in the suburbs, well not anymore. I started using a vanpool where I park in the parking lot of a local community college all day...well the car lasted about a week until today when I come back to find a $25 ticket. I think I'm gonna have to cave here...I have to park in this lot every day... Unless I buy a beater LOL... anyway what are the odds the day I talk about it I get a ticket sheesh.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #46
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2 - Long Beach Blue

Well, that sucks - at least it was only $25...here in Brooklyn it's $65...

2018 M2 LCI - Long Beach Blue Metallic - MT
2017 Camaro SS - MT (Sold)
2011 135i N55 - MT - Suspension+Stage 1 PPK (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #47
damo_ct
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

I don't understand how they can give you a ticket on private property .. what if you had just taken it off temporarily for some reason? What if you weren't going to be driving the car until you put it back on?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #48
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyar18 View Post
Pretty sure you have to be moving or operating the car for a them to give you a ticket for no front plate.

It's like an expired inspection sticker. You don't have to be driving to get a ticket. As long as you are on a public road (parked or driving), then it's fair game for tickets. A parking garage is another story. i would speak with garage management with that one. That's private property. That's like getting a ticket in your driveway.
      03-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #49
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClane View Post
I started using a vanpool where I park in the parking lot of a local community college all day...well the car lasted about a week until today when I come back to find a $25 ticket.
Man that's not bad, its $75 here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo_ct View Post
I don't understand how they can give you a ticket on private property .. what if you had just taken it off temporarily for some reason? What if you weren't going to be driving the car until you put it back on?
Excellent point, what if the car was being stored during winter???

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #50
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnpower View Post
It's like an expired inspection sticker. You don't have to be driving to get a ticket. As long as you are on a public road (parked or driving), then it's fair game for tickets. A parking garage is another story. i would speak with garage management with that one. That's private property. That's like getting a ticket in your driveway.

Yeah because in that case, police could go to any outdoor car show and write 200 no-plate tickets.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #51
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
no front license plate is a cheap ticket and doesn't do anything to your driving record. if you had no plate there isnt really anything you can say or do. Your ticket has nothing to do with anyone elses.

i have gotten a ticket for not plate and it pissed me off. Especially because I parked the car (legally) for a few minutes came out, and the ticket was on my window. I dont agree with the law but technically i do have to abide by it. I actually only had to mount a front plate (tow hook) and get an officer to sign off on it. I didnt have to pay the full fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #52
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I paid the ticket a month ago lol
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #53
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyar18 View Post
Pretty sure you have to be moving or operating the car for a them to give you a ticket for no front plate.
Unfortunately, they can. It falls into the same category as having an expired registration sticker or an expired safety check sticker. Cars are required to have those current, as well as front license plates, whether they're being "operated" or not. I got a ticket for an expired safety check sticker when my car was parked on the street in front of my condo.

It doesn't matter if it's a municipal operated garage or privately operated garage. Unless it's parked in your home/private garage where a search warrant would be needed, it's out "in public" and subject to all the local and state DMV rules and regs. Even if your car is parked in private, like say up on blocks behind your house, it's still subject to all those regs, but the cops can't go snooping around behind your house looking for it just to check if it has all the plates and current stickers that are required. But if they're on your property for other legal reasons and happen to see it they can give you a ticket for it. To avoid being subject to these things you have to cancel your registration and turn in your plates. The car then has no right to be operated, which is what some people do when they put their cars in long term storage.

The ticket having to be paid to the department of revenue is a common practice in any city of reasonable size. Proceeds from tickets don't go directly to the police department that issues them but rather to the city or municipality which allocates revenue from tickets to any number of DMV departments. Ticket revenues can also be used to fund highway projects and other city initiatives.

And yes, while there is a deterrent factor to breaking the law involved which is also connected to highway safety, it is a lot about revenue.
      03-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #54
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Yeah because in that case, police could go to any outdoor car show and write 200 no-plate tickets.
That actually happened here. There was a big Japanese car show at the Stadium the cops just lined up a block or two down the street out of view and pulled people over as the exited the Stadium. They weren't just checking for front licence plates.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #55
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
That actually happened here. There was a big Japanese car show at the Stadium the cops just lined up a block or two down the street out of view and pulled people over as the exited the Stadium. They weren't just checking for front licence plates.
I think the OP was referring to cars that get trailered in and out of a show. It's game on the minute you drive away on a public road.
      03-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #56
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012_135i View Post
Unfortunately, they can. It falls into the same category as having an expired registration sticker or an expired safety check sticker. Cars are required to have those current, as well as front license plates, whether they're being "operated" or not. I got a ticket for an expired safety check sticker when my car was parked on the street in front of my condo.

It doesn't matter if it's a municipal operated garage or privately operated garage. Unless it's parked in your home/private garage where a search warrant would be needed, it's out "in public" and subject to all the local and state DMV rules and regs. Even if your car is parked in private, like say up on blocks behind your house, it's still subject to all those regs, but the cops can't go snooping around behind your house looking for it just to check if it has all the plates and current stickers that are required. But if they're on your property for other legal reasons and happen to see it they can give you a ticket for it. To avoid being subject to these things you have to cancel your registration and turn in your plates. The car then has no right to be operated, which is what some people do when they put their cars in long term storage.

The ticket having to be paid to the department of revenue is a common practice in any city of reasonable size. Proceeds from tickets don't go directly to the police department that issues them but rather to the city or municipality which allocates revenue from tickets to any number of DMV departments. Ticket revenues can also be used to fund highway projects and other city initiatives.

And yes, while there is a deterrent factor to breaking the law involved which is also connected to highway safety, it is a lot about revenue.
so you're saying if I had turned in my plates to the reg and parked my car in my backyard, that is illegal?
      03-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #57
2012_135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

Quote:
so you're saying if I had turned in my plates to the reg and parked my car in my backyard, that is illegal?
No. If you turn in your plates to DMV, and I'm not sure of the exact process here and what all the requirements are, you're saying my car will no longer be operating on the road or anywhere else and will instead be "in storage". Essentially, it becomes a lump of inert metal being kept somewhere instead of an operable motor vehicle. The key word there is "operable", which requires plates, registration, and safety check as well as being physically capable of operating. If you do drive it after doing this and are caught you would be cited for operating a motor vehicle illegally.
      03-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #58
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Quote:
If you live in Alabama and its a 1985 Camaro no problem at all
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #59
Sinister Crayon
floccinaucinihilipilifica tion
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I think the upshot of this whole discussion is that in states where you require a front plate, you're really rolling the dice if you don't install it. There's really no reason to complain about it; you knew the risk when you decided not to mount one. And no, it doesn't matter if the car's in a parking garage; legally the cop knows that in order for it to get there, it must've been driven on a public road and therefore is technically illegal.

I don't run a front plate because I think it ruins the lines of the front. Plus the stock front plate mount would block my Passport QI45... but that's a choice I make and don't regret it for an instant. Even if I get a ticket I won't regret it because I just don't want the front plate... and the aforementioned QI45 has saved me far more than that just by being installed where the front plate is supposed to go.

On the flip side, here in St. Louis I have never been pulled over. My girlfriend has driven her 2002 Jaguar X-Type for the last 5 years without a front plate as well without once having a problem. Maybe we're just lucky that at least one neighbouring state (Oklahoma) doesn't require a front plate... so cars without them legally are actually relatively common here. It probably doesn't hurt that neither my car nor my girlfriend's even has a mount on the bumper for a plate, or holes where one was removed.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #60
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

I face this problem too. What's the most commonly accepted (while aesthetically pleasing & not drilling the bumper) way of putting the front plate on?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #61
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Crayon View Post
I don't run a front plate because I think it ruins the lines of the front. Even if I get a ticket
I won't regret it because I just don't want the front plate... but that's a choice I make and
don't regret it for an instant.
That.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #62
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusselSimmons View Post
I face this problem too. What's the most commonly accepted (while aesthetically pleasing & not drilling the bumper) way of putting the front plate on?
If the back of your plate is flat, you could try using the automotive 3M tape (the one with the red backing). My BMW dealer used that on my front plate when it was in Germany.

Now, I use a tow-hook mount for the front plate. Kinda goofy looking if you ask me, but no holes to drill.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #63
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
If the back of your plate is flat, you could try using the automotive 3M tape (the one with the red backing). My BMW dealer used that on my front plate when it was in Germany.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...oduct-Catalog/

^ one of these? Which one? Would u recommend just taping it on with new tape every time I park in public (not often)? I really don't wanna have a plate on my bumper.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #64
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:

^ one of these? Which one? Would u recommend just taping it on with new tape every time I park in public (not often)? I really don't wanna have a plate on my bumper.

This stuff

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Automotive-...2727601&sr=8-2

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #65
J0E
Year One of the 1
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT 'vert

Quote:

If you're going to put it on and take it off every time you park, you might want to play around with some kind of magnet system. Maybe glue two strong magnets to the back of your front bumper where the plate will go and throw magnets on the front of the plate. This probably won't hold up for driving but for a parked car, why not..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #66
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Got to my car today and found TWO tickets. One for no front plate and one for the tinted cover on the back plate. $60 each. In the same garage btw. I'm gonna check the other ticket to see if its the same badge number. Maybe the guy has something against me lol. I think I'm gonna get the tow hook plate holder so i can take it off.
Appreciate 0