BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-30-2018, 11:10 PM   #1
RaleighIrishman
Rep
Drives: car

Lightbulb Dealership wants me to trade my 2011 135i for a 2018 M240i

Hey guys,

I currently have a 2011 e82. I have been receiving emails, and a few calls from the local BMW dealer stating that they can give me an upgrade for the same price I'm paying to swap out my current car for a M240i.

I'm hesitant because I love my car, it is under 70k miles, and there has only been one ding on it (which is a sad story in its own). It still runs great, I take great care of it. The thing is I love the simplicity, I don't need super special anything. I'd love the dash, but if I upgraded I'd absolutely have to have a stick. I can't stand the feeling of the DTC, or an automatic. Hell I haven't owned an automatic in... yeesh a little over 10 years now.

So I'm curious about opinions on if it is something that I should look into, or just tell them to bugger off, and change out my airbag since it hasn't been fixed yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighIrishman View Post
Hey guys,

I currently have a 2011 e82. I have been receiving emails, and a few calls from the local BMW dealer stating that they can give me an upgrade for the same price I'm paying to swap out my current car for a M240i.

I'm hesitant because I love my car, it is under 70k miles, and there has only been one ding on it (which is a sad story in its own). It still runs great, I take great care of it. The thing is I love the simplicity, I don't need super special anything. I'd love the dash, but if I upgraded I'd absolutely have to have a stick. I can't stand the feeling of the DTC, or an automatic. Hell I haven't owned an automatic in... yeesh a little over 10 years now.

So I'm curious about opinions on if it is something that I should look into, or just tell them to bugger off, and change out my airbag since it hasn't been fixed yet.
Um, what?

They're going to match your payments on a 7 year old car? What are your payments?

And, like any mail you get from a dealer, it's all a fishing tactic. They're just trying to get you to come down.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Well, It's really a personal preference. The dealer is just going through the motions of trying to get a sale on their books (lease, whatever...), and they also would get a very desirable trade-in that they could probably turn over in less than 30 days. So, if you do go in, it's a win-win for them.

What's important is what you want to do. If you don't see/feel any need or desire to get out of your 1er, then just ignore their offers like any other junk mail. If you've been toying with the idea of moving on from your 1, and the 2 series strikes your fancy then crunch the numbers and see if it fits.

Have you driven a 240 yet? Seems to be a love it or hate it car. A quick test drive may put this question to bed for ya, one way or the other. And give you a chance to pester the service manager about your airbag (especially since they couldn't sell it with an open recall on the books)
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
RaleighIrishman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Um, what?

They're going to match your payments on a 7 year old car? What are your payments?

And, like any mail you get from a dealer, it's all a fishing tactic. They're just trying to get you to come down.
Yeah I just got off the phone with the dealership. I gotta go in to get the airbags replaced next Thursday. I ended up talking to my sales rep. He talked about the data mining, and estimated info. For 200 more than what I'm paying I could get a 440i. But I said it wasn't what I was looking for or anything. I told him to keep his eyes open for something in the ballpark. But it wasn't any skin off my back.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
RaleighIrishman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post
Well, It's really a personal preference. The dealer is just going through the motions of trying to get a sale on their books (lease, whatever...), and they also would get a very desirable trade-in that they could probably turn over in less than 30 days. So, if you do go in, it's a win-win for them.

What's important is what you want to do. If you don't see/feel any need or desire to get out of your 1er, then just ignore their offers like any other junk mail. If you've been toying with the idea of moving on from your 1, and the 2 series strikes your fancy then crunch the numbers and see if it fits.

Have you driven a 240 yet? Seems to be a love it or hate it car. A quick test drive may put this question to bed for ya, one way or the other. And give you a chance to pester the service manager about your airbag (especially since they couldn't sell it with an open recall on the books)

That's how it was with the 1er. I test drove it for less than 10 minutes, and immediately fell in love. Got it, and then sold my old z4. I am skeptical if I want to upgrade, it is one of those... can't kill me to look. But I'm a rational adult, my mortgage comes first. I don't need a new car if it is going to cost me hundreds more than what I'm paying now.

So if I don't buy anything new, I'll just start looking into parts. I forgot that I had an account on here, so it is time to do some research on things I want to get, or what my options are.
Appreciate 1
1and11856.50
      02-01-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
FrostyDC4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C63S Sedan|350Z

Garage List
2007 Nissan 350Z  [0.00]
2012 BMW 135i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1and1 View Post

This post is spot on. I drove the M235 and M240 and it just didn’t do it for me. The newer tech is nice but it felt like a Camry by comparison. If you are considering something small and sporty just go straight for the M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

They, of course, just want your money. If you are bored with your 1er or just want to check it out, by all means do it. Test drives are free, and fun. If your dealer has an M2, as mentioned above, you should check that out as well. I would consider that an upgrade to your 1er as opposed to more of a lateral move with the M240i.
      02-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #8
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Why isn't the airbag fixed?

I bought my '13 135i less than two weeks ago out of state. I called the dealer last week, "Has the airbag recall been done? Oh it hasn't, when can I get it in?"
"Next Monday and we will have a loaner waiting for you."

They did it this Monday the 26th and returned the car washed and vacuumed. I have never done business with this dealer before.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #9
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
They, of course, just want your money. If you are bored with your 1er or just want to check it out, by all means do it. Test drives are free, and fun. If your dealer has an M2, as mentioned above, you should check that out as well. I would consider that an upgrade to your 1er as opposed to more of a lateral move with the M240i.
This, if you option out a M240 similar to the M2, you're only a few thousand off and you end up with larger brakes, wheels/tires, an actual diff, etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 04:57 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I constantly get mailers from the dealer I bought my 135i new. Just because they tell you they can get you into something newer doesn't mean you have to act on it. Notice they're talking about monthly payments which is the #1 tactic they use in sales. And anyone adept with finances knows not to buy based on a monthly payment.

If there is no compelling reason for you to consider changing cars, why even put yourself in that position even if it's just your time and a free test drive. I rather not have to deal with saying no and actually running into a situation where something about the new hotness gets my head wandering about what if.

I can say having no car payment has a lot of positives.
Appreciate 1
1and11856.50
      02-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #11
Mybimmer
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 118d & E82 135i

I would have taken the M240i for the day while they were fixing your airbag. You would know for sure after that if you liked the car or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #12
RaleighIrishman
Rep

Well thanks everyone for the insights and your opinions. Of course I found out it was a data miner that found my information.
They don't have a single M2 on their lot, and they only had 2 6MT. One being a 440, and the other was a M3. I may look at them Thursday when I get the airbag, but the 440 would be 200+ more than my payment and it is larger than I need/want. The M3 he didn't look at the figured but guessed it would be about 800ish a month, which is wayyyy more than I'm in the market to pay right now.

So who knows what will happen. In the mean time, I'm going to really start utilizing this damn forum and start doing my own fixes, and look into parts. Maybe do some mods in the next year or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:26 PM   #13
RaleighIrishman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Why isn't the airbag fixed?

I bought my '13 135i less than two weeks ago out of state. I called the dealer last week, "Has the airbag recall been done? Oh it hasn't, when can I get it in?"
"Next Monday and we will have a loaner waiting for you."

They did it this Monday the 26th and returned the car washed and vacuumed. I have never done business with this dealer before.
So basically at this point from my understanding is they are ordering them, and having to supply them in small amounts. Hell I had been calling for nearly a year for it, and they told me they would inform me when they get the shipment. But just a quick reminder, and search just as of 2016 they replaced 8mil airbags. The total to be replaced is roughly 40mil+. So I totally get the wait. Luckily I'm a super cautious driver and rarely end up in traffic given my social/work life. I also had an appointment set up earlier this month, and their reminder email went to spam. Then the stupid reminder text came for some damn reason 3 days AFTER the appointment was missed. Which made no sense at all. So I have it set up this Thursday. So it should go smoothly, I just have to sit around for a few hours they said. They don't have any loaners available on the time of the day, and I work nights so it is easy for me to drive 10 minutes down the road first thing after work instead of waking up mid day and driving the 40 minutes from my home. I think I have a few other things they need to check, but I'll I just see what the computer is throwing and maybe just do it myself and save the buck. Because damn is it pricey at a dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:55 PM   #14
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I constantly get mailers from the dealer I bought my 135i new. Just because they tell you they can get you into something newer doesn't mean you have to act on it. Notice they're talking about monthly payments which is the #1 tactic they use in sales. And anyone adept with finances knows not to buy based on a monthly payment.

If there is no compelling reason for you to consider changing cars, why even put yourself in that position even if it's just your time and a free test drive. I rather not have to deal with saying no and actually running into a situation where something about the new hotness gets my head wandering about what if.

I can say having no car payment has a lot of positives.
Test drives have always been fun for me. I like to see what the new hotness is all about. Doesn't mean I'm going to buy it, and I have no problem saying "thanks, but no thanks." So far, nothing really makes me want to give up my 1er and start making car payments again, especially NEW cars. Most seem to be heading in a direction that doesn't appeal to me.

But, if something tugs at the heartstrings, then maybe it's meant to be. As we all know a certain portion of car purchases are emotional purchases as it is, and just as long as it make some kind of sense financially and you're not digging yourself into a hole, if you want it, then why not? It never hurts to look imo, just exercise some self control.
      02-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #15
RaleighIrishman
Rep

Quote:
Test drives have always been fun for me. I like to see what the new hotness is all about. Doesn't mean I'm going to buy it, and I have no problem saying "thanks, but no thanks." So far, nothing really makes me want to give up my 1er and start making car payments again, especially NEW cars. Most seem to be heading in a direction that doesn't appeal to me.

But, if something tugs at the heartstrings, then maybe it's meant to be. As we all know a certain portion of car purchases are emotional purchases as it is, and just as long as it make some kind of sense financially and you're not digging yourself into a hole, if you want it, then why not? It never hurts to look imo, just exercise some self control.
That's exactly how I sold my Z4. I was in to do maintenance, and I was looking at a new Z4. Sales guy asked if I wanted to check some stuff out. He just so happened to get my 1er in and it had like 28k miles for a '11. Within 10 minutes of driving it I just was sold. And I have test drove cars before, but something about the size, speed, and comfort in comparison to the z4. I was hooked. I don't need the super fancy stuff they come with these days. So I'll have fun hopefully. The sales guy knows I'll be in next week. Maybe they will still have the M3 to have some fun in.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 11:21 PM   #16
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

I get that. I bought my Ducati 848 because I just happened to have an itch which wouldn't go away after a few days. So at that point, I went shopping. Same thing with my 1. Got around to the point I wanted something different for a car. And just happened to find a dealer which still had a new one on the lot. I grabbed the last new carbon black (for that matter black anything) 135i within 4 states. This was when the production stopped and what was left was it.

I don't make a sales person manufacture a need/want for me.

Same goes with audio equipment. I got my high dollar system in my dedicated sound room right where I want it. I'm very happy with the system. The main speakers are all B&W Nautilus 804s with the HTM-1 center. B&W introduced the new hotness with the diamond tweeters in the D series line. My dealer asked if I wanted to audition the new speakers. I said no thanks. I didn't have a reason to upgrade. I don't want an excuse to upgrade. And I won't know what I'm missing if I never open that door.

But getting back to cars, yes, I may test drive a car here or there to see what's new on the market. But I don't go into it with a manufactured need or want. This philosophy has served me well over the years as my financial statements will attest.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #17
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighIrishman View Post
That's exactly how I sold my Z4. I was in to do maintenance, and I was looking at a new Z4. Sales guy asked if I wanted to check some stuff out. He just so happened to get my 1er in and it had like 28k miles for a '11. Within 10 minutes of driving it I just was sold. And I have test drove cars before, but something about the size, speed, and comfort in comparison to the z4. I was hooked. I don't need the super fancy stuff they come with these days. So I'll have fun hopefully. The sales guy knows I'll be in next week. Maybe they will still have the M3 to have some fun in.
RaleighIrishman, which dealer are you working with? I'm in Raleigh myself and generally shy away from anything to do with local dealers... You talking with Leith right now?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #18
RaleighIrishman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds350 View Post
RaleighIrishman, which dealer are you working with? I'm in Raleigh myself and generally shy away from anything to do with local dealers... You talking with Leith right now?
Yeah it is all through Leith. They are the first and only dealership I've ever dealt with actually when it comes to car sales. Anything else was done via whatever other means.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #19
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
The M240i is mad nice especially with those new LED angel eyes, looks meaner and more sophisticated than before. They want a sale to close the month not of unheard of, (I'm in car sales too) so they're just fishing to make some $$$. It's all up to you as others have mentioned a test drive won't hurt, however I agree the 2 series doesn't grab you like the 1 series does. I still remember my first test drive of the 135i, I told myself that I just had to have it!! This didn't happened during the 2 series test drive.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #20
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
The M240i is mad nice especially with those new LED angel eyes, looks meaner and more sophisticated than before. They want a sale to close the month not of unheard of, (I'm in car sales too) so they're just fishing to make some $$$. It's all up to you as others have mentioned a test drive won't hurt, however I agree the 2 series doesn't grab you like the 1 series does. I still remember my first test drive of the 135i, I told myself that I just had to have it!! This didn't happened during the 2 series test drive.
Yeah, the 2 series didn't thrill me either. The M2 looks pretty sweet, though. Have yet to test drive it. My dealer hasn't had one yet but the next closest dealer to me had 3 last time I checked. Got to get off my lazy ass and see what it's all about. lol
      02-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #21
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Performance BMW still sends me flyers. I’d buy from there if they ever had a car I wanted. They mostly cater to the 320i lease crowd. They do have a few M and other cars, but difficult to find what I want there. Even Leith BMW seems low on inventory. I just go to DC to shop BMWs, which is much easier now that up live up here now instead of Raleigh.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #22
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
I always go back to Chris Harris comparing an M2 to his own personal, tuned, 1m..... and saying the 1 is better....
Appreciate 0