BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-15-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
MarinerZ4C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0Si Coupe

2008 OE Radio Replacement (with BMW OE NOS)

I'm new to the board, and new owner of a 2008 128i convertible with about 67K miles. The pixels on the Professional CD Radio head unit (HU) were going bad. I purchased a BMW Professional CD Radio HU from ECS Tuning with part number (6512 9241762) - ECS indicated fitments were unknown, but it cost me less than the pixel repair kits on eBay.

I was concerned that I did not get a radio code with this radio, but I have not yet needed one. My backup plan was to partly disassemble and swap the faceplate between HU's and reinstall on my OE unit, since all I wanted was a functional display (upgrades later ?). My original post was to a thread in which someone else asked about needing a radio code.

My car has a build date of 08/2008, and this new HU is 2010 manufacture. Neither HU is the Alpine 73D unit I have seen on YouTube. Both units are made in Czech Republic, and they share chassis construction, so I could swap displays if needed. In addition to the main multi-pin connector and antenna, there's a second coax connector on the newer HU (what's it for ?). The antenna connector is positioned just enough differently that I had to trim the dash support panel (plastic) a little to give clearance as shown when installing the HU. Sorry my photos are upside down - I will have to learn to correct this feature.

I'm a happy camper because the cost was $92 plus tax, and it works fine.

Are radio codes stored somewhere other than the radio HU ? Will the one original to the car work if I ever need it ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
asbrr543.00
      03-19-2021, 04:53 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

It's kind of weird that an easy answer isn't available to the question "Does the code live with the radio or with another module" ...

I know when I replaced my HU, I dug around for an answer for quite a while with no luck.

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 01:46 AM   #3
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
It's kind of weird that an easy answer isn't available to the question "Does the code live with the radio or with another module" ...

I know when I replaced my HU, I dug around for an answer for quite a while with no luck.

Anyone?
Maybe because we don`t really understand the question here , at least i don`t really get it (no native english speaker )

Afaik the normal radios (not nav) dont have "lock code" to protect them from stealing, you can install every radio from E- one and three series into your car.

If this question is about the configuration, yes this is stored within the Radio unit, it has to be coded (programmed) to fit your car configuration (unless you`re lucky and the donor car had the same configuration )

Kri
Appreciate 1
asbrr543.00
      03-21-2021, 01:31 PM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
Maybe because we don`t really understand the question here , at least i don`t really get it (no native english speaker )

Afaik the normal radios (not nav) dont have "lock code" to protect them from stealing, you can install every radio from E- one and three series into your car.

If this question is about the configuration, yes this is stored within the Radio unit, it has to be coded (programmed) to fit your car configuration (unless you`re lucky and the donor car had the same configuration )

Kri
Ah - you actually understood perfectly! I didn't realize the non-NAV radios don't have a lock code, just assumed all car head units have lock codes..

Ok that answers that, thank you.
Appreciate 0