BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
vito747
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 coupe M

Question Mid pipes in Europe

Hello guys

I am just trying to change my mids to get rid of the secondary cats but here in Spain I checked with different dealers and the system shows the N55 with the same cats as the N54. I know it is weird but I do not know if it is a system error or not. I do not want to pay for them and realize upon arrival that i just bought the same I already have.

On the other hand, I would like to have maddads or berk but are very expensive to ship here (500$) so I have been looking to other options like eissenman resonated one or supersprint straight pipes but I do not know anybody that has installed only the mid and how will that work. I am not looking for the full system only the mids.

I would like if any can share experiences or info so I can remove the cats and hopefully the drone.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

You need to interpret this info yourself but for instance I imported my N55 mids from UK, they are without cats but with a resonator like everywhere else and they do cure the drone greatly plus provide other benefits. My bet is the info you got via local dealers is simply wrong, which is neither rare nor surprising, try to see if there is a 135i/335i around with N55 engine for sale or for getting a service job etc. and check it yourself to have peace of mind before putting the order.

If your primary objective is to ease drone your best bet is the N55 mids.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 07-04-2013 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
vito747
Private
Rep

This is the image that shows with this part number... exactly the same as if I select 1m or 135 n55... dunno
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #4
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

It is just image the real part is w/o cats
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
vito747
Private
Rep

thank you guys
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito747 View Post
This is the image that shows with this part number... exactly the same as if I select 1m or 135 n55... dunno
The parts images are NOT always correct on the ETK/RealOEM.com

Just order the N55 mid pipes... and you will be good to go. Also order new DP gaskets and new copper nuts. Be careful when removing the nuts... its real easy to snap off one of the DP studs. Then its gonna be a real PITA t fix. Ask me how I know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
It is just image the real part is w/o cats
+1.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
vito747
Private
Rep

thank you! i think I will order them and see what happens.

are there any negative sides on swaping n54 to n55 miss? Cuz I am worried with the resonator, is "fake in the n54" but "real" in the 55....
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

OP: ignore the pictured real.oem diagram. It's wrong.

N55 midpipe = BMW OEM part # 18307599743

Also, for precautionary reasons, order the appropriate OEM bolts and gaskets. Reason: those risk to be in bad shape or shear/brake off when removed + it's better to install with brand new fixture stuff (price for all these parts together was less than 80 EUR for me):
  • 2x BMW OEM part # 18307553603 (gaskets)
  • 1x BMW OEM part # 18117553130 (gasket ring)
  • 2x BMW OEM part # 18307790610 (spiral springs)
  • 2x BMW OEM part # 18307561670 (hex screws with collar)
When replacing the N54 mids by N55 mids, definitely keep the N54 mids somewhere for possible future re-install (1M resale). As a matter of fact, for the price of one N54 midpipe you can get at least five N55 midpipes !

Also check these threads for further info about the N55 midpipe:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=27 (N55 midpipe)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797160 (N55 midpipe DIY installation process)

left = N55 | right = N54
      07-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:

are there any negative sides on swaping n54 to n55 miss? Cuz I am worried with the resonator, is "fake in the n54" but "real" in the 55....
No, unless you are an active member of Green Party.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:

The resonator IS fake on 1M's (N54T). Even though the 1M mid pipe looks to have a resonator... it does not when you cut it open!

The resonator is real on the N55 mids.

Only other minus is be very careful when you remove the downpipe coper nuts. On my car those threaded studs just snapped off. Then you will need a torch and some patients and a BFH to pound out whats left of that broken stud. And convert to SS bolts.

Here is what the 1M's rear resonator looks like when you cut it open. Its no wonder why the 1M has some "drone" at highway speeds!
Name:  N54T mid pipe fake     Midpipe-Mittelschalldaempfer-Original-BMW-N55-N54-135i-1M-High-Flow-Versi.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  123.1 KB

Name:  N54T mid pipe fake      Midpipe-Mittelschalldaempfer-Original-BMW-N55-N54-135i-1M-High-Flow-Vers.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  93.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
vito747
Private
Rep

good info! I ll will ask for the prize and order ASAP, looks like drone is increasing after 13000 miles. Was not an issue before but now is getting worse.

Thank u all!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
looks like drone is increasing after 13000 miles. Was not an issue before but now is getting worse.
Replacing the N54 mids by N55 mids on the 1M = significant reduction of 'drone'.
      07-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Where to buy downpipes in Europe...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:

Rimas we are talking about mid pipes here. BUT if you are looking for Down Pipes... I know Wagner sells them - although I do not see the DP's on their website anymore. ?

http://wagner-tuning.de/shop/bmw.html

Also... last year when we were at Manhart Racing GmbH they also sold DP's. They even had a cool one that looked like a "stock" cat/DP but it was empty inside of it! Totally stealth.

Your best bet is to order DP's from the states... bc the EU prices are pretty high. Even after paying import duties/tax... I bet a US tuner DP's like AR or Burger Tuning would be a better deal for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
In addition to Dackel's advice, Super Sprint also sells them, both catted and catless versions available. Since they are made in Italy and distributed from there, it should not be a problem for you to buy. Check their web site and choose 1M, they actually have every single component of a full system available in different forms (straight, resonated, non-resonated etc. etc.) a la carte. I am not sure if you have a 1M but even if you have a N54 135i those dps should fit the same.

Akra is Slovenian and sure sells in Europe and has down pipes too.

And then comes the German tuners, including Lightweight Titanauspuffanlagen (by the way, this last name reminds me when I was a little boy and trying to spell Czechoslovakia as a learning practice and a game).

There really are many
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #16
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Rimas we are talking about mid pipes here. BUT if you are looking for Down Pipes... I know Wagner sells them - although I do not see the DP's on their website anymore. ?

http://wagner-tuning.de/shop/bmw.html

Also... last year when we were at Manhart Racing GmbH they also sold DP's. They even had a cool one that looked like a "stock" cat/DP but it was empty inside of it! Totally stealth.

Your best bet is to order DP's from the states... bc the EU prices are pretty high. Even after paying import duties/tax... I bet a US tuner DP's like AR or Burger Tuning would be a better deal for you.
Thanks David

Yeah I know there was Wagner Tuning downpipes but for sure I would look for cheaper option like BMS downpipes even they are expensive 380 for DPs + 150 shipping + maybe all taxes and sh*t Not talking about ARs or Akrapovich which price is insane.
I saw somewhere on ebay.de those stealth downpipes they are really nice I would not have to worry about technical state inspection.
As I am not sure will I like driving with catless pipes Im looking to cheapest option and that is I believe BMS pipes best bang for the buck...
Appreciate 0