BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-26-2016, 09:07 PM   #1
Rickmac
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i m-sport

Walnut blaster from Bavarian Autosport???

So my car has roughly 67000 miles on it now, and since I bought it used I have no idea if was blasted before. However I'm just planning to do it myself since the tools seen cheap and the labor is simple enough.

Has anyone purchased and used the kit from Bavarian Autosport website ? The link below should show you what I'm looking at.

http://http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=B1100001&utm_source=google&utm_medi um=cse&utm_term=B1100001-135ICOUPE-2007-576959&gclid=Cj0KEQjwvZq6BRC9kfq2zKfQ_94BEiQAOeUVC 7gRvDZYpApkCfRPLiyEgmpTTW8ML0CR51B8Ly3AJ8kaAtav8P8 HAQ
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 07:15 AM   #2
Rickmac
Rep

Come on people, someone has to have s9me experience with this..
Does this at least look like a pretty solid buy/kit for blasting compared to other options ?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
qcodec
A driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: This isn't a 964

Yeah I believe the kit would be a good solution. Or if you're handy, you can follow cheaper route. I believe one of E90 owner posted Walnut blaster DIY guide somewhere (I don't remember where) with 1HP blaster kit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/portabl...kit-37025.html
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcodec View Post
Yeah I believe the kit would be a good solution. Or if you're handy, you can follow cheaper route. I believe one of E90 owner posted Walnut blaster DIY guide somewhere (I don't remember where) with 1HP blaster kit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/portabl...kit-37025.html
The Pressurized one included in BAV is far more effective then the one you have there. Harbor sells one like it for $65 http://www.harborfreight.com/20-lb-p...ter-68994.html

It also doesn't include the intake adapter and wand which BAV does.

Another option Harbor blaster $65
BAV plastic vacuum adapter $40 http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
25lbs walnut $25
Blasting Wand $20 https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2165971/

And in either case you will need a good compressor.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #5
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

$295 Bav Auto media kit (included shipping) VS. $499 at an independent shop. Is this really worth it considering this only needs to be done every 50K miles. Do you plan to own the car for more than 10 - 15 years? Also, consider your time and the mess it creates. Plus. I'd be worried that I might screw something up all to save about $200. If this were a more frequent need then I'd be all for it. Guess I'd rather pay the $499 and be certain that the job was done right and is backed up by the shop who performed it. Rather than invest in something I may only use once!
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes

Last edited by PA135i; 06-14-2016 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
Rickmac
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberschnell View Post
The Pressurized one included in BAV is far more effective then the one you have there. Harbor sells one like it for $65 http://www.harborfreight.com/20-lb-p...ter-68994.html

It also doesn't include the intake adapter and wand which BAV does.

Another option Harbor blaster $65
BAV plastic vacuum adapter $40 http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
25lbs walnut $25
Blasting Wand $20 https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2165971/

And in either case you will need a good compressor.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll have to look into what you said here, that'll save me a few bucks..

@PA135i And yes I plan on owning this car for some time. That is why I bought it after all. Why w9uld I buy a car in hopes to get rid of it unless I'm trying to turn a profit. Which I'm not.
In Any Case, The job is pretty straight forward and the only "difficult" or key things I see that need attention are keeping the walnut contained and installing the new gaskets correctly. Again, a little attention and this is simple stuff. So yes I'm more than ok with saving $200+ regardless of how many times I'll need it. I can use this blaster for more than just blasting walnut through my intake valves anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #7
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickmac View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll have to look into what you said here, that'll save me a few bucks..

@PA135i And yes I plan on owning this car for some time. That is why I bought it after all. Why w9uld I buy a car in hopes to get rid of it unless I'm trying to turn a profit. Which I'm not.
I wasn't suggesting you were going to keep the car for 3 years and turn it over for a profit. Mine is an 2008 and it has 107K on it. The dealer blasted the valves under warranty at 49K and I paid for second nut blast at 100K last May. I doubt, I will own it for the next time it needs it at 150K.

My point was that there is a "hassle factor here" plus it costs money for the media kit. And you have to buy new gaskets.... see how the money gap is closing. You can do what you want but I'll let a professional do this for me. I'll gladly pay the extra $200 for the piece of mind.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
Rickmac
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
I wasn't suggesting you were going to keep the car for 3 years and turn it over for a profit. Mine is an 2008 and it has 107K on it. The dealer blasted the valves under warranty at 49K and I paid for second nut blast at 100K last May. I doubt, I will own it for the next time it needs it at 150K.

My point was that there is a "hassle factor here" plus it costs money for the media kit. And you have to buy new gaskets.... see how the money gap is closing. You can do what you want but I'll let a professional do this for me. I'll gladly pay the extra $200 for the piece of mind.
No I completely understand. I bought my car used right around 48,000 miles. I'm assuming whoever owned it was selling due to expiring warranty.. right now I have just under 70,000 on the car with no knowledge if it's been blasted previously or not. So if I blast it now myself, I'll save the initial $200 or so. Then at 100,000 I'll save myself $500 or so since I'll already have the kit. Yes it's a slight hassle and time consuming but from a financial stand point, it makes sense. A dollar saved is a dollar earned as they say. Plus, since I have the kit, I can very well use it to blast other cars if the opportunity should arise, thus making the investment even more financially justified.
Either way I understand the convenience and piece of mind as you say, but I see more benefits than risk by doing it myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #9
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
I pieced mine together here in Germany and spent less than the BAVAUTO one and I also have the bucket from Harbor Freight. Although I will say that the BAVAUTO one looks very solid but you still need a compressor, a gun, and a shop vac to get the work done. There was a guy on another forum that sold the wand and adapter kit at a very good price. That is the one i'm using. If I can find the link I can share it.

I kept all my stuff because I also do it on the side as extra cash.
      04-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #10
kingj327
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Black Sapphire

Totally worth it!

Rick,

Totally worth the money even if you only do it once! I used this on my 2011 N55 135i and it made a huge difference. My intake ports were super dirty even after 35,000 miles. I bought the Bavarian Autosport kit and it worked great. Not hard at all, I did this myself after watching the instructional DIY video on youtube.

I just sold my 135i, so I'm selling this Bavauto media blaster along with a bunch of performance parts. PM me if you're interested.
Appreciate 0