BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
emack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4F82,Akra/Eventuri/Stage2Tune

Coilovers..........need input

Morning,

Getting ready to pull the trigger on coilovers (including springs and maybe camber plates), but would like input from you guys based on what you know and what you've heard.

There's obviously KW V3, and I don't think the Ohlins have been released yet, JRZ also has a pretty serious offering, but I don't know much about them ( http://www.hpashop.com/JRZ-RS1-Singl...JRZ-1M-RS1.htm ). Ran bilsteins on a previous track car, but don't know if there availble for the 1M (Since found this http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657630 ).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by emack; 08-12-2012 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Edit: Wrong post
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

No contest if you can get Ohlins.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by emack View Post
Morning,

Getting ready to pull the trigger on coilovers (including springs and maybe camber plates), but would like input from you guys based on what you know and what you've heard.

There's obviously KW V3, and I don't think the Ohlins have been released yet, JRZ also has a pretty serious offering, but I don't know much about them ( http://www.hpashop.com/JRZ-RS1-Singl...JRZ-1M-RS1.htm ). Ran bilsteins on a previous track car, but don't know if there availble for the 1M (Since found this http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657630 ).

Thanks in advance.
I am waiting to see what Ohlins offering is going to be as their Road and Track for the M3 and 1M should be ready very soon. However, PSI already has their's released for race cars and you can get it through HPA as well. The Ohlins USA system would also be closed to finish too. I have their contact details if you need it.

I am reluctant to get JRZ because of its problems and limited support here right now. It is okay if we are in Europe or US where there is great support. You can wait till all the little issues have been resolved. I know Advevo is running an adjustable height spring as well, and Eibach spring is available on the setup. Having said that, this is what everyone has been raving about and I think most of the noise issue has been nutted out.

KW V3 would be the gold standard, trialled and tested. The clacking could be an issue still if you are going to use it as a road car. Plenty of support here in Aust. The company I get most of my things from a-workx have their own KW V3/Clubsport spring setup at a very reason price. Euro is very good at the moment.

There is Moton too, but not much feedback. I believe there is a 1M using it at the moment. With regards to Bilstein, I think the JRZ would be the better option.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
emack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks heaps for the input bud, much appreciated. Think I'll wait with you to see what the Ohlins offer is.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks heaps for the input bud, much appreciated. Think I'll wait with you to see what the Ohlins offer is.
No problems mate. I wonder what JSAN went with. He was looking at JRZ or KW.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I'd go with KW V3, they are available now and you know what you're getting. KW are ideal for the occasional or hardcore track junkie.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
emack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Anybody read the report in the latest Motor Magazine? Lot of complaints about 1M's on the limit, but still the fastest lap time................mind you, it wasn't up against much.

Hoping the coilovers might help settle things down a bit?!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #9
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Anybody read the report in the latest Motor Magazine? Lot of complaints about 1M's on the limit, but still the fastest lap time................mind you, it wasn't up against much.

Hoping the coilovers might help settle things down a bit?!
The limit is pretty high. Bear in mind that all of those European after market suspensions ( Bilstein - Eibach - KW - Ohlin$ ) are tuned on Billiard table smooth European roads.

I've had Eibach springs on for a month now and they have certainly added some confidence to the handling. The ride is firmer but slightly less jarring than stock.
In my humble and amateur suspension analysis I'd say most of the trouble is in the rear, that the stock compression damping is too firm, the rebound is too light and the stock springs are too harsh / not progressive enough in their initial travel. I suspect that when the suspension becomes loaded the too light rebound doesn't control the decompression, the rear gets a little floaty and look out we are swapping ends. The front end is controllable but will push under partial load. It seems to prefer either cornering under brakes or strongly on the power. Trailing or leading throttle will see understeer ( I'm talking track speeds ). I've tried all sorts of tyre pressures but I suspect that the afore mentioned suspension traits and the basic configuration, i.e. short wheelbase / wide track is what we are dealing with here. As it comes it's a better road car than a track car IMO. The opposite of the M3 I guess.

Then again, maybe my driving is really shite and I have an utter lack of knowledge about suspension tuning.

Last edited by gazz; 08-15-2012 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
emack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hey Gazz, thanks heaps for the insightful input..............

Hopefully there's a solution out there that will "help" dial this problem out (or at least reduce it).
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Gazz, thanks for this as well!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

My advice is to go for a set of coilovers over a set of springs for the 1M. I've been on the track with a stock 1M and can see that it still has body roll and weight transfer. It's quite noticeable and I could really see the difference when watching some video taken from the pitlane of a 1er with coilovers setup properly and a stock 1M. Not saying it's mandatory (like it is on a stock suspension 135i which is a mini boat) but if you're serious about driving on the track I highly recommend coilovers. I believe KW have fully adjustable coilovers for the 1M that can be adjusted with an app on your iphone. That's what I would be looking into mainly because they are quality coilovers and the ease of use. Basically you will get more value in getting coilovers for a 135i, but I still see the benefit in getting them for a 1M as there's still room for improvement.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

1M setup
BC ER coilover system, front sway bay, TOYO R888 and a track day alignment setup option BBK 280mm front and 245mm rear brake set up
TOTAL $9,000 drive in drive out with that setup 1.47 at the creek is possible with around 260kw atw

Why purchase top shelf products for a road car that you will track 2-3 times a year, the differance in performance at club level between my setup and a top shelf setup is 0000 but the cost differance is many thousands $$$, hey im not knocking anyone if you have money to burn on top shelf parts go for it

BC shock system ER, made in Taiwan
Nashin BBK, made in Taiwan
Whitline sway bar custom, made in Australia
TOYO tyres R888 made in Japan
Labour and set up KIWI
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
1M setup
BC ER coilover system, front sway bay, TOYO R888 and a track day alignment setup option BBK 280mm front and 245mm rear brake set up
TOTAL $9,000 drive in drive out with that setup 1.47 at the creek is possible with around 260kw atw

Why purchase top shelf products for a road car that you will track 2-3 times a year, the differance in performance at club level between my setup and a top shelf setup is 0000 but the cost differance is many thousands $$$, hey im not knocking anyone if you have money to burn on top shelf parts go for it

Labour and set up KIWI
Pete any thoughts on an Advan brake cooling plate complete with hoses to connect from the stock brake ducts. sounds like an easy job any everyone needs cooler rotors
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Labour and set up KIWI
Great so I can pay you in peso's from now on, that's about what a Kiwi dollar is worth right? Good to know
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Pete any thoughts on an Advan brake cooling plate complete with hoses to connect from the stock brake ducts. sounds like an easy job any everyone needs cooler rotors
Hey Pav
I will have a look and see what we can offer but price could kill it.
We do a kit for the GTR Skyline, i could use that concept as there are no hoses so it is more of a air diverter system and works very well that may keep the $$$$$$$ in check

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 08-15-2012 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
Great so I can pay you in peso's from now on, that's about what a Kiwi dollar is worth right? Good to know
Thanks Ben Mate
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #18
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
word of warning benny, whatever you pay in just DON'T wear ugg boots, you'll never get outa there alive
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #19
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hey Pav
I will have a look and see what we can offer but price could kill it.
We do a kit for the GTR Skyline, i could use that concept as there are no hoses so it is more of a air diverter system and workes very well that may keep the $$$$$$$ in check
pete, i would have thought chris could easily make the plate to replace the stock heat/dust shield thinggie (to my mind its a donut with a bite taken out) with a flange on it and some bunnings tubing. a couple of pop rivits and your all done
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #20
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
pete, i would have thought chris could easily make the plate to replace the stock heat/dust shield thinggie (to my mind its a donut with a bite taken out) with a flange on it and some bunnings tubing. a couple of pop rivits and your all done
Yer i know what you are saying but for a road car it is hard as the hoses catch on the tyre when on full lock etc, I will have a look just for you
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #21
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
1M setup

Labour and set up KIWI
For those interested in track work, listen to Peter .. he knows it from decades of experience. Peter has an uncanny knack of sniffing out great bang for buck solutions if you open your mind to the alternative paths.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #22
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Hi emack

Ohlins showed their m3/1m r&t kit at SEMA. I am not sure if that's what I am going to go with. PSI's raceline or the 1M kit Ohlins USA did may be the way to go. The question is who to speak to - PSI is well respected, but Ohlins do have all those shake rig data for the 1M although it is for a LHD. PSI uses Eibach, and I believe Ohlins use GC. Both use GC camber plates.

Both are 2 way adjustable, and height adjustable.

I will probably start talking to them soon.

Steve

PS: just realised Eibach do the springs for GC.
Appreciate 0