BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

OT: Mini Diesel

The car is in service at the moment (yes, long crank and engine light...), and just a change I took the mini out.

Well, I drove a mini cabrio (yes another loaner) a couple of years back and had a lot of fun. The mini diesel however is just a little slug.

It is probably great for day to day driving and fuel economy, but it didn't have that fun character I associated with the mini with the petrol.

We know BMW makes much better diesel than that, in the 1er etc, so hopefully, with the iSetta project, they don't put one of these in, because it's certainly not Joy.

Joy is not driving a Mini Diesel.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post

Joy is not driving a Mini Diesel.
Win!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I remember 5th Gear saying the same thing about the Mini Diesel a few years back. They said it just took all the zippy-ness out of the mini package. They said to go for gas models unless you really need an economy car for the highways.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I remember 5th Gear saying the same thing about the Mini Diesel a few years back. They said it just took all the zippy-ness out of the mini package. They said to go for gas models unless you really need an economy car for the highways.
Didn't they do a Mini Diesel vs. Mini Petrol challenge? Or was it Top Gear? AFAIK, i think it was 5th Gear..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:

We know BMW makes much better diesel than that, in the 1er etc
That's cos the diesel in the Mini isn't a BMW diesel at all. It's shared with Citroen.

It was a marketing move that allowed BMW to claim the lowest consumption car in Australia for a while (until the Fiesta EcoNetic came).

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:
The car is in service at the moment (yes, long crank and engine light...), and just a change I took the mini out.
Told you so!!

Welcome to the club!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
Told you so!!

Welcome to the club!
Yes, I know... the recent gremlins is getting a bit annoying, but they are picking it up from me, and dropping it off back to me, so I will keep it until the replacement next year and hopefully I have better luck.

The only issue with the 125i so far is just the rear lights which was recalled and fixed up.

I guess both cars would be replaced next year, I am sure my wife will be reluctant to let her car go, but she would love whatever she's getting next. Except I have got a suspicion that if she doesn't need the big car, she'll be into the 1M. Well, that's after she stopped talking to me for 2 months after I take the car home without her knowing.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
The only issue with the 125i so far is just the rear lights which was recalled and fixed up.
Mine isn't yet - once she's back it's straight to Trivett for a fix. I can see the water around the edges in the tail lights, luckily haven't had a short circuit yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 02:34 AM   #9
SR32
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY11 135i CW 6Spd Man

Quote:
Yes, I know... the recent gremlins is getting a bit annoying, but they are picking it up from me, and dropping it off back to me, so I will keep it until the replacement next year and hopefully I have better luck.

I guess both cars would be replaced next year, I am sure my wife will be reluctant to let her car go, but she would love whatever she's getting next. Except I have got a suspicion that if she doesn't need the big car, she'll be into the 1M. Well, that's after she stopped talking to me for 2 months after I take the car home without her knowing.
*touch wood for mine*

Hope it sorts itself out mate!