BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Hi guys, have been debating whether to go with 19" wheels or stay with 18". Now thinking to get Volk TE37TTA and run it on square setup. The wheel spec is 19x8.5 et35 and tire is 235/35/19 Michelin PSS.

It should fit fine on the back with proper camber but the question is for the front setup, will it fit with about -2 to -2.5 camber? Currently running stock sport suspension but it has dinan camber plates to allow more negative camber.

Please let me know what do you guys think. Thoughts and opinions are always welcome as well as pictures as reference.

Thanks!
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:24 AM   #2
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

There's more chance of rubbing with 19" than 18". Also more likely to bend your rims with 19" and 2.5+ camber. So probably a bad idea functionality wise.

IMO, it may not even look very aggressive with the 8.5" rear rims.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #3
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I love my Volks but I would rather have 18s. I think you'll be fine during normal driving but when you suspension fully compresses you'll rub mildly. Might take 3deg to not rub at all.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I love my Volks but I would rather have 18s. I think you'll be fine during normal driving but when you suspension fully compresses you'll rub mildly. Might take 3deg to not rub at all.
Any specific reason why you would rather have 18s? I know its more functional and less "heart shocking" when you hit pothole as well. I'm seriously considering Volk TE37 in 18" now after many people told me to stay with 18". After all you also confirm that I might face lesser problem with 18s. Any thoughts on 18x8.5 et35 square or 18x8.5 et42 square? If I can still order one of those setups in magnesium blue color, I will pull the trigger but which one do you think more visible to run 245/35/18 Michelin PSS? I don't mind to dial in more negative camber on my setup.

Thanks!
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Generally, 19s weigh more and give you such a small amount of tire sidewall that you are more prone to damaging the wheels or tires. Also you start running out of tire choices in 19s.

I'd definitely go with 18x8.5 et42 if that were an option. With my 19x8.5 et42 front, my wheel is 3.5 mm from my strut. So if you get a tire much wider than your wheel you might have to add a 3mm spacer. It's tough to ever get a 245 to fit up front. You might actually need to add a little rear camber too if you can get up to 245s. But that will probably work better anyways with all the front camber you'll be running.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
Generally, 19s weigh more and give you such a small amount of tire sidewall that you are more prone to damaging the wheels or tires. Also you start running out of tire choices in 19s.

I'd definitely go with 18x8.5 et42 if that were an option. With my 19x8.5 et42 front, my wheel is 3.5 mm from my strut. So if you get a tire much wider than your wheel you might have to add a 3mm spacer. It's tough to ever get a 245 to fit up front. You might actually need to add a little rear camber too if you can get up to 245s. But that will probably work better anyways with all the front camber you'll be running.
I see what your concerns with 19s are. That's exactly what I'm thinking about since my highway and local road are not the best in USA, so I might opt for 18s since it gives me peace of mind anyway.

What wheels are you running up front? Yeah, I know its pretty hard to fit 245/35 all around even with spacer, it might rub against the fender as well especially with meaty Michelin PSS. Well, we'll see how it goes, I might try to fit my stock RFT (245) up front and decides from there.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Yes, the wheels will work, but you're going to have to pop the alignment pins out to get the camber you'll need for the setup. Also, you *may* have to give a slight pull on the front fender and possibly trim the contact point between the front quarter panel and bumper.

Those tires, on the other hand, may end up running a bit too large for this setup. I've run 215s up front with 9'' +35s up front with a very lowered setup and it's been fine, but I did rub pretty good when the springs compressed while the wheels were turned. That's without taking into consideration that the PSS tend to poke outward from the rim before diving inward at the sidewall, which will give you more clearance issues.

Again- not certain you'll encounter this with your specific setup- just items to think about.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #8
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
Yes, the wheels will work, but you're going to have to pop the alignment pins out to get the camber you'll need for the setup. Also, you *may* have to give a slight pull on the front fender and possibly trim the contact point between the front quarter panel and bumper.

Those tires, on the other hand, may end up running a bit too large for this setup. I've run 215s up front with 9'' +35s up front with a very lowered setup and it's been fine, but I did rub pretty good when the springs compressed while the wheels were turned. That's without taking into consideration that the PSS tend to poke outward from the rim before diving inward at the sidewall, which will give you more clearance issues.

Again- not certain you'll encounter this with your specific setup- just items to think about.
Ahh, I see. Glad that you can chime on my future setup, so that I can prevent the problem or prepare for the worst, lol. Running 9" wide rims has been on my mind but then it sounds too much hassle to run 9" wide up front. What tires are you running? Currently I'm running 18x8.5 et38 225/40/18 RE11 and at first it was rub horribly and I have to install Dinan plates to eliminate the rub.

Thanks man!
Appreciate 0