BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
Ajumepke
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Need recommendation for new set of tires.

My OEM RFT are coming to the end of its life cycle. I have an appointment in about 6 weeks to replace them. In the mean time - I would like some second opinions about tires.

Did some looking up on Tire Rack.com I have some options.

215/40-18 (Front)
245/35-18 (Rear)

1. Could just stick with OEM RFT
2. Thinking about getting Yokohama's (but Continental seems to have better "scores").

Some factors to consider.

1. Mostly driving in Sunny LA weather. Occasionally drive up to No-Cal
2. Have the Tire and Wheel protection plan. (had a puncture in 1 tire - had that replaced.) The plan is for 5 years. Should I just wait for the plan to expire before getting non-RFTs? Because if I get non-RFT tires have another blowout - would have replace it only with RFTs?
3. It would probably be cheaper to get a whole new set of Yokohama Non-RFT than to replace the 3 worn RFTs.
4. I do have AAA coverage.
5. But I like the comforting thought that on an average day if I had a puncture - I could make it home and just call the tow truck in the morning

I don't take the car to tracks so "performance" isn't necessarily an issue.
Most important to me are:
1. Good Treadwear
2. Ride comfort/noise

I'm okay with getting the RFT again but want second opinions about other tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

From everything I have read here... Conti DW's (not DWS! that is the all season version) are the best tire for the most bang for the buck! IF money is not a big deal... the Michelin PS2's or PS3's are THE tire to have. IF I was living in the states I would buy the Conti DW.

Over here in Germany these two tires are almost teh same price. That is why I have decied to buy the Michelin PS3's - non run flat. I carry a small sace saver spare - so that is not big worry. Even IF I did not have a spare... I would not worry too much about non runflats.

I am going with the 225/255 sizes on stock bmw wheels.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:17 AM   #3
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Scores aren't everything. I have the conti DW's and hate them. There's not enough grip for the one on stock wheels and the sidewalls roll very easily. Running 225/245.

If you're in LA, stick with summer tires of some sort.

Go 225/40-18 F, 255/35-18 R (sizes fit, no mods, more options available)

Performance options:
- Michelin Pilot SS or PS2's
- Dunlop Direzzas

Inexpensive options:
- Hankook V12's
- Conti DW's
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

WoW! Really? This is the first bad report of the Conti DW's I have read here. You have the DW and not the all season DWS right?

Makes me glad I have decided to go with the Michelin PS3's. I mean if the PS2 are goood enough for BMW M models they must be pretty good tires.

I still worry about ditching the run flats and going with regular non flat tires. I don't want to give up ANY steering response.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

First bad report of the DW I've heard also. Last winter when I still had my 3er I put the DWS on for winter and they did just as well as true snow tires. Been contimplting the DW's instead of the Run Flats but truthfully I think the OEm's are not that bad ride wise(this is probably due to the fact I drive in my wife's Mini quite allot and that my friends is a suspension that will rattle your teeth over the rough stuff) I've pushed the OEM pretty hard latley and they stick well. And of course being summer tires I don't expect 40K treadlife. I'll probably run these low then get new tires. The Bridgestones are way to expensive. Been reading bout the PS 3's also and they look sweet along with the Contisportcontact 5's.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

Not sure about the conti 5's they may be a euro only tire. They have them on the international site. I was looking at the Germany link so that may be. Yeah I wouldn't put Kumhos on my dogs car. Not sure about the Kook's but I see good reviews. I'd either get the Conti DW or maybe the new PS 3's.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

Go to www.conti-online.com and pull up the rubber group then hit usa at the top it has them, the 5's, listed. They're brand new so things might not be out or updated.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

Tire rack has'em listed but only 235/40 and 255/35. No 225. The 255's are $292 by the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajumepke View Post
Most important to me are:
1. Good Treadwear
2. Ride comfort/noise
1. While everyone likes to badmouth A/S tires, the DWS has a treadwear rating of 540 - and decent handling and grip on both dry & wet pavement.

2. The ride is very comfortable, and so far (9,000 miles) no noise.

3. Unless the price has gone up since I bought mine last year, they are an excellent value.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
doogle
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
We don't see anything beyond Sport Contact 3 in this country, so a review of the 5 would be interesting.

Beyond being a RFT, the RE050A is a pretty good tire. Kills me to see all the Kumhos and Hankooks getting slapped on thinking its a good tire.
The Hankook RS-3 and Kumho XS are much better tires in terms of grip than the RE050A. They don't last as long as the stock runflats, but they are half the price.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep

I truly am a non all season tire guy but I was really impressed with the DWS. I actually think they stuck better than the S Drives yoko's I had for the summer on my 325i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
1. While everyone likes to badmouth A/S tires, the DWS has a treadwear rating of 540 - and decent handling and grip on both dry & wet pavement.

2. The ride is very comfortable, and so far (9,000 miles) no noise.

3. Unless the price has gone up since I bought mine last year, they are an excellent value.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #12
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:
Interesting review! The DW are faulted on turn in but seem to perform well otherwise.

Could you fill in your review a little by noting your tire pressures and driving environment (hills, urban, speeds, temperatures, etc.)?
Normal conditions:
- Norcal highways
- 36 psi F/R
- They're ok for daily driving. Good treadwear, but too soft for my taste.

Autox conditions:
- 38 psi (rolled to 1/4 inch of rim)
- 42 psi (still rolled over)
- 45 psi+ (ok)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
davefromfla
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440ix

Conti DW

I've only had mine about a month now (400 miles), but they have been great especially after truing, balancing and alignment. Way better than the RFT Bridgestones it came with. I had the non- RFT RE050' s on a G35 previously. They were good for a while, then got loud and wore out in less than 10,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
Ajumepke
First Lieutenant
Rep

does anyone know how long the Continentals last- 30k?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
does anyone know how long the Continentals last- 30k?

Maybe on the fronts! lol

You have a 135i right>?

I think the 135i is like my old Porsche. It would just eat rear tires every 10k or 15K. the fronts would last twice that. But the rears would just be bald in no time. AND I am not the kind of driver to burn rubber either. I do get on it (WOT) from time to time. And I like to have fund in the turns.

I think 20K miles would be pushing it for rear tires though. 30K for front tires.

It sounds like you are really concerned by tire life. With BMW's sport suspensions... the tires are a consumable part of the equation. This aint no econo box. I would say to go with the tires with the highest TREAD WEAR INDEX. I think that means Michelins.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #16
Ajumepke
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Maybe on the fronts! lol

You have a 135i right>?

I think the 135i is like my old Porsche. It would just eat rear tires every 10k or 15K. the fronts would last twice that. But the rears would just be bald in no time. AND I am not the kind of driver to burn rubber either. I do get on it (WOT) from time to time. And I like to have fund in the turns.

I think 20K miles would be pushing it for rear tires though. 30K for front tires.

It sounds like you are really concerned by tire life. With BMW's sport suspensions... the tires are a consumable part of the equation. This aint no econo box. I would say to go with the tires with the highest TREAD WEAR INDEX. I think that means Michelins.

Good Luck,
Dackel

My original tires are at 29k. If non-OEM tires don't last that long or longer it may just make more sense for me to stick with OEM RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #17
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

Quote:
My original tires are at 29k. If non-OEM tires don't last that long or longer it may just make more sense for me to stick with OEM RFTs.
if you're happy with the way the RFT's ride, then stick with them.
I got an average of 10,000 miles on my three pairs of Goodyear F1 Asymmetric's on the rear. worth it to not have the RFT's though.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #18
Ajumepke
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
if you're happy with the way the RFT's ride, then stick with them.
I got an average of 10,000 miles on my three pairs of Goodyear F1 Asymmetric's on the rear. worth it to not have the RFT's though.
Well - since I do about close to 15-20k miles a year on the car. It'd be nice not have to swap a new set of tires twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #19
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Maybe on the fronts! lol

You have a 135i right>?

Good Luck,
Dackel

+1 I drive about the same as Dackel and get the same life tire life.

And non run flats make for a better ride. Just get some slime/air compressor for the trunk.
      03-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Well - since I do about close to 15-20k miles a year on the car. It'd be nice not have to swap a new set of tires twice a year.

Tire thread life is all how you drive. Some of us like to feel the power in the turns(feeling the car rotate) or off the line acell. Others just punch it on the highway -every once in awhile. Anytime you get the tires to start slipping you are wearing them down.

I remember getting a ride in my friends '87 930S slope-nose(real metal fenders from Porsche!) "Turbo S2". When you would get on boost you could literally look out the rear view mirror and see black marks being put down at 40 mph to 80 mph. I've never been in a car since then that has been able to do that. lol

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #21
Ajumepke
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I have a 5 year tire/wheel protection plan in place. I think what I'll do is stick with the RFT for the time being until the plan expires and then look at non-RFT.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
We don't see anything beyond Sport Contact 3 in this country, so a review of the 5 would be interesting.

Beyond being a RFT, the RE050A is a pretty good tire. Kills me to see all the Kumhos and Hankooks getting slapped on thinking its a good tire.

I was over at my tire dealer again today. I asked about the Conti Sport Contact-5's - those are only made in small narrow sized tires. They do not make them in 135i tire sizes.

Basically the top tires for the 135i are Conti Sport Contact-3's and Michelin's. Also some Dunlaps and Good Years in these sizes. But frm what the tire guy was telling me in German is that I should go with Conti's or Michelin's. BTW... the tires over here might have the same or simular name... but the tires are vastly different. Even the thread profile is different that say what is on TireRack's website.

Well... after some debating back and fourth... I decided on Michelin PS3's XL's non run flat tires in 225/255 18's for my 135i. Looks like I will have to wait a week or so before they will be at my tire dealer. But it is still kind of cold outside so that is ok for now. I'll make a posting when I get some kms on my PS3's.

Dackel
Appreciate 0