BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
SloPoke
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

1 Series M coupe effect on 135i resale value?

Anyone thinking that with the introduction of the new 1M, the 1 series will finally get into the mainstream public's eye, thereby causing better resale values? If anything it will give the 1 more street credit since people know what M cars can do. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
135i maintains its value pretty well right now. 1M won't hurt the 135i resale value at all.
lol......i bought my '08 135i for $25k w/ 30k miles on it, 1 owner. the 135i has not held it's value at all. just browse through the cars for sale section.....you'll see 1-2 year old cars losing $10k +, sometimes closer to $15k or higher
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Anyone thinking that with the introduction of the new 1M, the 1 series will finally get into the mainstream public's eye, thereby causing better resale values? If anything it will give the 1 more street credit since people know what M cars can do. Thoughts?
135i's are already depreciating quickly, i dont' expect the 1 series m coupe being released having a positive effect on this
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

So far the 135s have held their value to the original lease residuals. The car also came out during the economic downturn and a period of serious discounting, which is the biggest reason for the drop in value. I bought my car off the lot under invoice because the dealer wanted to clear it before year-end.

I doubt the 1M will have any effect on the car, as it will be very limited production and sold at or above sticker.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Wishing for an e30iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
lol......i bought my '08 135i for $25k w/ 30k miles on it, 1 owner. the 135i has not held it's value at all. just browse through the cars for sale section.....you'll see 1-2 year old cars losing $10k +, sometimes closer to $15k or higher
That could be because the HPFP is so well known and people (and I'm one) don't want to mess with what equates to a game or roulette.

Porsche 996s have the same problem since their rear main seal issues are so common and well known, the resale on them is in the toilet (I've seen good clean cars as low as $20k!!!). You'll actually pay more for a 993 than the 996.

-dave
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
That's a fair price for a 3yr 135i old car with Premium, Sport and a couple more options. New it was what...about $39K?
Loaded 2009 135i are about $34K-$37K. Similarly optioned 2010 135i are about $3K -$4K higher. In the last 9 months in my city, there has only been one 135i for sale used. A couple in San Antonio, a few in DFW and a few in Houston. Almost all had automatics. 6MT very rare.
i hear you, i'm just not sure a $14k loss for a car that is 2yr 3mo old constitutes holding it's value very well (the sticker on my car was in the glove box, $38,9xx). and in regards to the '09 and '10 models, good luck getting that much private party or trade in. like i said, browse through the used car section on this website and you'll see what members are able to get for their 135i's
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnat View Post
That could be because the HPFP is so well known and people (and I'm one) don't want to mess with what equates to a game or roulette.

Porsche 996s have the same problem since their rear main seal issues are so common and well known, the resale on them is in the toilet (I've seen good clean cars as low as $20k!!!). You'll actually pay more for a 993 than the 996.

-dave
good point, it's probably valid too. after hearing about the '11 n55 motors experiencing hpfp failures, i don't think this is going to get any better either
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
gawee77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MSM F06 GC M6

I am glad I leased mine instead of buying it... My residual is 26K after 3 yrs... I doubt my 135i vert will be in that price range in 2012 June...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
i hear you, i'm just not sure a $14k loss for a car that is 2yr 3mo old constitutes holding it's value very well (the sticker on my car was in the glove box, $38,9xx). and in regards to the '09 and '10 models, good luck getting that much private party or trade in. like i said, browse through the used car section on this website and you'll see what members are able to get for their 135i's
BMW had published lease residuals from the time the car was launched, the vehicle after 3 years is effectively at its residual price +/-. As I mentioned earlier, save the first few months upon release, very few people were paying sticker price for their cars - mainly as a result of the downturn. I know I paid below invoice at year-end 2008 to get a convertible off the books.

As far as the HPFP, that's just such an overrated issue. It may/will fail, but it is warrantied to 100,000 miles. BMW needs to figure out what is causing the failure, as it is not an inexpensive fix - and 100,000 mile warranty on any part is a considerable expense.

I have a lease on mine, and I am planning on buying off lease. I'll either pay my buyout or negotiate a lower price if the vehicle's residual is materially worse. Right now, given how well I take care of my car - I'm still inclined to buy out the lease as long as BMW continues to offer such good refinancing rates.

I know a lot of people are comparing the 135 to the Mustang GT - but Ford won't even lease it or set a residual value. That, in itself, is something.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by michifan View Post
BMW had published lease residuals from the time the car was launched, the vehicle after 3 years is effectively at its residual price +/-. As I mentioned earlier, save the first few months upon release, very few people were paying sticker price for their cars - mainly as a result of the downturn. I know I paid below invoice at year-end 2008 to get a convertible off the books.

As far as the HPFP, that's just such an overrated issue. It may/will fail, but it is warrantied to 100,000 miles. BMW needs to figure out what is causing the failure, as it is not an inexpensive fix - and 100,000 mile warranty on any part is a considerable expense.

I have a lease on mine, and I am planning on buying off lease. I'll either pay my buyout or negotiate a lower price if the vehicle's residual is materially worse. Right now, given how well I take care of my car - I'm still inclined to buy out the lease as long as BMW continues to offer such good refinancing rates.

I know a lot of people are comparing the 135 to the Mustang GT - but Ford won't even lease it or set a residual value. That, in itself, is something.
Must we drag the GT into every bloody thread? BMW's are leased at a higher rate rather than bought in comparison to its Competitors(Lexus, Merc, etc.) That, in itself, is something. Why dont people want to own these cars out of warranty? With that said, I believe the 1er values are around where they should be. The 1M will definitely draw some attention to the 1er franchise but I doubt it will be enough to really do anything. See: Z4M.

The HPFP is not overrated. You dont pay what we do for the a car and have that in the back of our minds. Its unacceptable. I'm sorry. Do we all remember the E46 subframe issues?
Appreciate 0