BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2010, 12:08 AM   #23
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Really good explanation RPM90 of the various risks... Doesnt a recall entail risks other than costs as well? The risk that the whole world will know BMW had to issue a recall; a blot on any company's reputation.. But not as bad a blot as if they are found legally culpable!

I have an Oct delivery date for my 135i scheduled. I would have to assume that this new pump, the one your SA say IS THE FIX is the one going into my car, and probably has gone into most N55 cars.. Which may be the reason weve heard no definitive cases of the failure among these cars... if there really is such a pump, that is..

Part of me feels like a moron buying a car that has had this serious a problem for what is it now... at least 3 model yrs? The other part tells me, 'take your chance.. you love the car, its fully warrantied, the dealer does seem to try and satisfy within their workable parameters, and, many purchasers of these cars never have the problem!' Live life dangerously, I guess.

Last edited by boostm3; 08-13-2010 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:35 AM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Really good explanation RPM90 of the various risks... Doesnt a recall entail risks other than costs as well? The risk that the whole world will know BMW had to issue a recall; a blot on any company's reputation.. But not as bad a blot as if they are found legally culpable!

I have an Oct delivery date for my 135i scheduled. I would have to assume that this new pump, the one your SA say IS THE FIX is the one going into my car, and probably has gone into most N55 cars.. Which may be the reason weve heard no definitive cases of the failure among these cars... if there really is such a pump, that is..

Part of me feels like a moron buying a car that has had this serious a problem for what is it now... at least 3 model yrs? The other part tells me, 'take your chance.. you love the car, its fully warrantied, the dealer does seem to try and satisfy within their workable parameters, and, many purchasers of these cars never have the problem!' Live life dangerously, I guess.
The newest pump will be in your N55, along with the new engine.
So far, no reported failures.
I think you're good.

Regarding a voluntary recall, I don't think that's too bad for any car company where the problem hasn't caused any serious problems other than being a nuisance to customers. With a voluntary recall the information is more contained as it will mostly be given to current owners.
Some may see a recall as a bad thing, but I think most people see a voluntary recall as a company doing the right thing to make sure it's products are good and safe. A mandatory recall, however, can be a very negative thing, because it gives the perception that the company was/is hiding something, and it now takes legal action to force them to comply, like what happened to Toyota.

The HPFP issue isn't anything like what just happened to Toyota, because the HPFP failures haven't yet proved to be a "safety issue".
But, what happend to Toyota shows what a forced mandatory recall can do to a companies reputation. Toyota got dragged through the mud by the media, and then the NHTSA got involved, which created more media. Toyota has probably spent as much, if not more, on media damage control than what it cost to replace or fix what ever problem there was. National TV air time cost BIG BIG bucks.
Just as BP how much damage control through mass media costs.

Last edited by RPM90; 08-16-2010 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:55 AM   #25
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The newest pump will be in your N55, along with the new engine.
So far, no reported failures.
I think you're good.

Regarding a voluntary recall, I don't think that's too bad for any car company where the problem hasn't caused any serious problems other than being a nuisance to customers. With a voluntary recall the information is more contained as it will mostly be given to current owners.
Some may see a recall as a bad thing, but I think most people see a voluntary recall as a company doing the right thing to make sure it's products are good and safe. A mandatory recall, however, can be a very negative thing, because it gives the perception that the company was/is hiding something, and it now takes legal action to force them to comply, like what happened to Toyota.

The HPFP issue isn't anything like what just happened to Toyota, because the HPFP failures haven't yet proved to be a "safety issue".
But, what happend to Toyota shows what a forced mandatory recall can do to a companies reputation. Toyota got dragged through the mud by the media, and then the NHTSA got involved, which created more media. Toyota has probably spent as much, if not more, on media damage control than what it cost to replace or fix what ever problem there was. National TV air time cost BIG BIG bucks.
Just as BP how much damage control through mass media costs.
There's already one on this board...
      08-16-2010, 02:05 AM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
There's already one on this board...
Yeah, I just read it.
Sure does suck.
Appreciate 0