BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

PCD on July 21st

I took delivery of my 128i convertible yesterday at the Performance Center in Greer, SC. My son and I had a really good time. We drove a 135i couple on the test track which was a blast. Would have been even better if we had not caught our class members so quickly. That motor almost seems to scream at you when you get it wound out. Car handles GREAT

For those thinking about it, you have to get yourself to the Greenville, SC airport or to the Marriott Greenville the day before your delivery. The hotel and a decent dinner is on BMW (you pay for alcohol if you want it and if you want to leave more than a 15% tip (BMW does 15%)). I had a nice 6 oz filet and my son had the Mahi Mahi. We both thought our meal was well prepared. Salad, main dish, and desert are included (I had the cheese cake which was fine but my son had the chocalate cake which looked better).

The hotel is a typical seemingly a little older Marriott. My bed was fine, my son found his too soft. The service is excellant. They have a list of who is coming from BMW and know what you are supposed to do. The wait staff in the little restrauant in the lobby area also understand BMW is paying and explain things to you unobtrusively. If you fly into the airport, they pick you up in a BMW station wagon. The shuttle from the hotel leaves the Marriott at 7:45am or when everybody shows up to take you to the Performance Center. You should be done before 3pm but we were there a little longer to get a paint chip fixed.

Basic plan is about 2 hours on the test track (the best part), 2 hours in a factory tour and a trip back and forth in X5 SUVs through an obstacle course (fun too if you like SUVs), and as long as it takes for the actual delivery. Mine had a very small paint chip which I did not see and they pointed out. They asked if I wanted it fixed and they did it for me. Took maybe an hour total might have even been a bit longer which was more than expected but still less than a trip to my dealer. Everybody was consistently friendly and pleasant throughout. They give you a good lunch at the performance center (hot sandwiches, salad, soup, desert, all the drinks you want). The hot lap with Donnie is also not to be missed. He man-handles a M3 in a very entertaining way.

Thanks to Donnie, Steve, Willie and the rest of the staff at the Performance Center.

Jim
      07-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

Glad you had a great time. It is a 1st class operation, I'm not aware of anyone else doing anything close to this for its customers. My wife and I took delivery at the PC last summer and after the X5 off road trip, the wife was sold on an X5 for her when its time for a new vehicle. BMW marketing at it's best.

A couple other 135's in the area. I'm aware of Montego blue, Black, and Sedona coupes.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
Excitmnt94
Detailer & Fitness Freak
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i ///M Sport Coupe

that place is just amazing...best people...best products...best practices. makes for a memorable experience you will talk about for the rest of your life.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
BlueC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I'm looking to do this hopefully in December or January.

Best part for me is the drive home is about 1200 miles. I'll be back home and the car will be fully broken in.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
willwin2day
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: all BMWs

Thanks for a great day!

Donnie Isley
BMW Driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
AW135*Guy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Great write up! I went with a friend about a year ago when he took delivery of his 135i....I had never experienced anything like that. Was absolutely amazing.

To be honest, while my wife has always wanted a BMW...I never really considered one until after seeing/experiencing the PCD experience. With that said....our PCD delivery date is set for 8/14!!! I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!

Ordered (6/17) ● Production (6/19) ● Completed (6/26) ● En Route (7/14) ● Prep Center (8/2) ● At BMW Center (8/3) ● PCD (8/14)
Appreciate 0