BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Rear ended. BMW dealership body shop replacing buper. Paint matching nightmares!?

I was rear ended in my 11 128i vert by a sloppy middle aged lady in green 96' Nissan 240sx. Lady had no car insurance and her car was lucky if it was worth $1,500.

I didn't want to be waiting long so the car is in the shop insurance covered job. I opted fro my best choice a BMW dealership certified body shop who has a painter who has air brushed my car before (rock chips on the hood) The paint matching was good...but rock chips are harder to match than a panel such as a bumper.

I'm getting a replacement bumper, and hardware. Insurance estimate is $1100.
Long story short I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight worrying about how the paint will come out. Will it match good enought to please me. Probably not. The body shop manager knows how OCD I am, and he stated that the paint will not match perfectly. That's really alarming. How horrible will this come out.

Very POd. 3 years of being ridiculously careful and early enough I just lost my factory paint. Talk about problems down the road...discoloration and so forth. Man and I really wanted to keep this car 8+ years.

Any insight about other's panel/bumper repaint stories..would be helpful.
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
What color is your car? Some colors blend much easier than others.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Welcome to my life. I have had my 1'er for just over a month and someone backed into my parked car at a gas station. Currently dealing with his Insurance company, and driving around with a dented fender and a rear bumper with a giant hole in it (the guy has a truck with a tow hitch). So much for my low mileage, clean CARFAX car. I have been losing my mind thinking about depreciation, what if the repairs are not perfect, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

I'm with you. Someone took out my whole bumper in a parking lot in Vegas a couple of years ago and I needed a new bumper, rear diffuser, and some bar that was in the bumper as well.

I was completely anal and OCD and at the time, in my mind, the car had lost value, nobody would want it, and I was terrified to see how it would look in the end. Mine was titanium silver and it looked flawless and wasn't an issue at all. So, ultimately, I was fine and I was put at ease, but I was a nervous wreck while they had it and were painting the new bumper.

As earlier posters said, some colors are easier than others. I think an alpine white or titanium silver should be pretty easy, whereas something like sparkling graphite or carbon black might be a little harder.

Also, that new bumper never showed up on my carfax either. Neither did the $26k in damage done in a later accident. So, I don't have any faith in a clean carfax.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
any metallic color will be much more difficult than a non metallic. I have had 1 trunk painted, 1 hood, 2x fenders, 2x skirts and am in the process of having nearly my entire car painted at the moment due to some heavy conversion work.

All of my paint matched both in color and in shine.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
Tommeh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 BMW M3 & 16 GMC Canyon

I had to get my bumper replaced, and a dent removed, and matched on rear quarter from a BMW dealership and cant tell the difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

Not to worry I just had 3,500 euro...yep that euro...worth of paint work done two weeks before I shipped my Bimmer back from Germany. I have LeMans Blue and I can't see anything. I also have a 2011 so the age on our paints is prob the same. For me a dump truck let loose as I was passing him at about 110 on the autobahn. Needless to say the damage was ridiculous. Looked as if someone stood about 50 feet away and let loose with birdshot from a 12 Ga...a few times. I didn't have BMW fix it but a very reputable autobody shop. They should over spray and blend so as to not see a difference.

On a side note I almost experienced your pain yesterday as some bitch on her cell phone texting screeched to a halt a few inches from my rear bumper. I look back and she's still trying to finish her fk'n message...
      03-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My car's color is blue water metallic.

They said that I should get the car back tuesday next week.
Nervous to see how this comes out...even with the assurance of a BMW dealership and a personal friend/contact doing the repair. I know that I took it to the best available place for the repair...but I'm still very nervous. The guys working on my car know how OCD I am lol
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Blue water metallic....you should be fine. You'll be frantic and paranoid and stare at it forever from every angle and lighting situation, but eventually you'll be okay and in the end, nobody, including yourself will ever know or be able to tell.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I was rearended a few years ago. My bmw bodyshop matched the paint perfectly.

My car is SGM...if they can match that they have the tools to match anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Did you guys know.... the parts supplier for BMW paints the bumpers before BMW paints the car. They always do not match exactly. Its close, but not exact. That is how our cars are made now a days. Its the same over at Audi too.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Had my SGM done at the local Mercedes dealer. (Driver's door, and front fender.) Flawless.
      03-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Just go to a reputable shop and they should do a decent job.
      03-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptempo80 View Post
I was rear ended in my 11 128i vert by a sloppy middle aged lady in green 96' Nissan 240sx. Lady had no car insurance and her car was lucky if it was worth $1,500.

I didn't want to be waiting long so the car is in the shop insurance covered job. I opted fro my best choice a BMW dealership certified body shop who has a painter who has air brushed my car before (rock chips on the hood) The paint matching was good...but rock chips are harder to match than a panel such as a bumper.
They know what they are doing. I took it a step further and had a BMW Certified Collision Center take care of my 1er.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Some inbred made a left turn across traffic in front of me and my bumper, hood, headlight, and driver fender payed the price. Fighting with his insurance right now so it sucks to have to drive around with that damage. I'm taking mine to a BMW dealer and I have this same fear. They were really good with damage that they caused to my rear. Can't tell it happened at all. Mine is Montego Blue Metallic. Good luck with yours. I might need some luck for mine.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #16
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well guys...the paint didn't match and the bumper has a run mark I could see when examining it. Also there's a few small scratches above the bumper right below the taillight. The area were the damage occurred is not lined up 100% too. It's slightly off when compared to the other side.

I've been driving around like this for awhile(a month) trying to accept this as my car is a lease that is up in July. Not sure if I want to fight with them. But I am very unhappy.

It may not be smart to buy out my car but I WAS going to before this happened
The issues I'm describing are minor to most but an irritant to me.

Should I just suck it up and take it to another BMW shop or a certified shop?

Can't live with it like this...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #17
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett Venom View Post
They know what they are doing. I took it a step further and had a BMW Certified Collision Center take care of my 1er.
I have to find a certified shop in my area. How do I find one? My zip is 18644.

Maybe I can salvage this and become satisfied somehow...all I know is that I can't accept this.
It's disappointing because it has to happen right how when I wanted to buy the car out now. I ordered the car, and can't build one anywhere similar to the options I have. I thought long and hard about getting a new one, but with all the bundling of stuff and left overs its not desirable to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
I have to find a certified shop in my area. How do I find one? My zip is 18644.

Maybe I can salvage this and become satisfied somehow...all I know is that I can't accept this.
It's disappointing because it has to happen right how when I wanted to buy the car out now. I ordered the car, and can't build one anywhere similar to the options I have. I thought long and hard about getting a new one, but with all the bundling of stuff and left overs its not desirable to me.
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...spx?filterBy=E
for a map of collision centers

you have near you: sun motor cars BMW, daniels bmw, jmk bmw, paul miller bmw, wide world BMW, and bmw of hudson valley. Unfortunately, none of these are that close to you. My experience is they are capable of building it back to like new.

I would highly suggest if you drive out to any of these, yelp their collision centers first to see their overall ratings and satisfaction.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...spx?filterBy=E
for a map of collision centers

you have near you: sun motor cars BMW, daniels bmw, jmk bmw, paul miller bmw, wide world BMW, and bmw of hudson valley. Unfortunately, none of these are that close to you. My experience is they are capable of building it back to like new.

I would highly suggest if you drive out to any of these, yelp their collision centers first to see their overall ratings and satisfaction.
Thanks!

I am very familiar with Daniels, as my wife passes the dealership everyday as she works in Allentown. I may have to go up there and see what they can do for me.

Upon further inspection of my car today...the bumper is miss aligned. Poor fitment which is why it wasn't lining up. I noticed that the slight scratching at top of edge gave way for evidence of damage. The bottom edges of the taillights have slight cracking and chipping.

I can't believe I've missed this issue. I've just been too busy with work to fully inspect my car...the day I received the car from the body shop the weather was a rain/snow mix. I haven't driven the car too much since then and did not even take the steel wheels/snow tires off yet...so this is my fault for not fully inspecting the car.
- I did notice that the paint wasn't 100% though.

I'll include photos.

Now I gotta assume I'll be paying for a re-install of the bumper and a new respray of the bumper @ Daniels. Not to mention new taillights. Might as well get those...stock non-black line LCI's would be perfect. Gotta price that as well.

With all this going on I am in the process to finance the car to buy it off lease....but I know right now as-is right now It's not worth buying out!

Going to be a stressful summer of decisions. I'd rather just keep my car though. You can't get the all monotone grey leather anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #20
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
If you go through all that, get them to price match parts from the local vendors here, or buy from Phil@Reeves BMW, he has the best prices on parts hands down
Quote:
Thanks!

I am very familiar with Daniels, as my wife passes the dealership everyday as she works in Allentown. I may have to go up there and see what they can do for me.

Upon further inspection of my car today...the bumper is miss aligned. Poor fitment which is why it wasn't lining up. I noticed that the slight scratching at top of edge gave way for evidence of damage. The bottom edges of the taillights have slight cracking and chipping.

I can't believe I've missed this issue. I've just been too busy with work to fully inspect my car...the day I received the car from the body shop the weather was a rain/snow mix. I haven't driven the car too much since then and did not even take the steel wheels/snow tires off yet...so this is my fault for not fully inspecting the car.
- I did notice that the paint wasn't 100% though.

I'll include photos.

Now I gotta assume I'll be paying for a re-install of the bumper and a new respray of the bumper @ Daniels. Not to mention new taillights. Might as well get those...stock non-black line LCI's would be perfect. Gotta price that as well.

With all this going on I am in the process to finance the car to buy it off lease....but I know right now as-is right now It's not worth buying out!

Going to be a stressful summer of decisions. I'd rather just keep my car though. You can't get the all monotone grey leather anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #21
Uptempo80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you go through all that, get them to price match parts from the local vendors here, or buy from Phil@Reeves BMW, he has the best prices on parts hands down
Thanks, Will do.
Appreciate 0