08-30-2011, 04:07 AM   #46
RC3
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

Garage List
2011 F10 528i  [10.00]
amazing trip and great write-up. congrats on the new 1M.

2011 F10 528i Black Sapphire / Oyster Black
2000 E46 325ci Cabrio Titanium Silver / Black - retired
1997 E36/7 Z3 Montreal Blue / Black - retired
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 05:40 AM   #47
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

nice!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #48
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Thats one hell of an ED story ! CONGRATS !
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #49
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
This is probably the only reason I won't get a used e90.
Lovely write up! I have to do Ed in 2012
      08-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #50
1sonnyM
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
You are my hero! How did you get behind the scenes at F1? I am heading to Monza next week and would love to know your secrets
+1
I wanna know too!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #51
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

So cool...you definitely made the most of the delivery options...great ED then a 1-day M school at the PDC. Amazing!

Quick question - how did you get that access to the German Grand Prix? It looks like you had a pit pass - so cool!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #52
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Great pics! Always good to see Prague, probably one of the prettiest cities in the world.
Nice to see Coulthard and Lauda as well.
      08-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #53
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

at anyone who did ED, a perhaps obvious question:

How does one identify one self to the BMW staff? Iow what paperwork is done on the delivery day at der Welt upfront getting your ED car. Does BMWNA send you some paper that needs to be handed in or does one just identify oneself (passport, US drivers license?)?

thx for your inputs
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #54
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

///M1, awesome thread. Love the pictures, especially the f1 behind-the-scenes.

My ED date is in October and seeing your pictures has brought up a couple questions..

-Do you have any more details on the Sixt M3 rental, especially on the 80 euro deal?
-Do all ED customers get a credit voucher and key chain from the Welt?
-Did you purchase any bmw phone adapter for use on your trip? If you did, did you purchase it in the US and bring it or get it at the Welt? Same for the usb/ipod cable?
-Where might one be able to purchase Sonax products for mid-trip car washing and where can you wash your own car?
-You passed 1200 miles on your trip, did you get your run-in service done while there? If so, how was it and do you expect any trouble getting refunded the cost of the service?
-Is taking the front plate allowed? Will it not be left on the car if not personally removed?
-Do you have a copy of the letter you left on the dash? I'd like to use that too.

Thanks!
      08-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #55
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
///M1, awesome thread. Love the pictures, especially the f1 behind-the-scenes.

My ED date is in October and seeing your pictures has brought up a couple questions..

-Do you have any more details on the Sixt M3 rental, especially on the 80 euro deal?
-Did you purchase any bmw phone adapter for use on your trip? If you did, did you purchase it in the US and bring it or get it at the Welt? Same for the usb/ipod cable?
-Where might one be able to purchase Sonax products for mid-trip car washing and where can you wash your own car?
-You passed 1200 miles on your trip, did you get your run-in service done while there? If so, how was it and do you expect any trouble getting refunded the cost of the service?
-Is taking the front plate allowed? Will it not be left on the car if not personally removed?
-Do you have a copy of the letter you left on the dash? I'd like to use that too.

Thanks!
here is the letter
Attached Images
File Type: pdf plate notice.pdf (14.3 KB, 99 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #56
BuckarooVT90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Z4 sDrive35i DCT

Garage List
2020 Z4 M40i  [8.00]
wow! thanks for sharing!! I'm GREEN with envy!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #57
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Thanks a lot for all the positive comments guys, glad I am able to share these memories of a lifetime with other fellow car buffs and pistonheads! Cheers to the admins as well for making it front cover, I am humbled! (and you can thank hurricane Irene for affording me all this free time locked up at home to upload all the pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrin View Post
Brilliant write up. You made my next BMW have to be an ED now!
Absolutely, anyone buying a new BMW has to do ED at least once in their lifetime. Hope you get to do it for your next purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott135i View Post
Excited to drive it

Eagerly waiting....
You have been by my side day 1, mate, so you do get first rights to drive her. First car I have ever bought sight unseen and undriven, and you helped me get over that hurdle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauber F1 View Post
Wow!!!! Awesome trip! European delivery & F1 is on my Bucket list. The food is the icing on the cake!
Absolutely, hence why I called it a fairy tale. I duuno if I could've dreamt it any better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
Best set of pictures I've seen thus far. Thanks for sharing! How does the 1M compare to the B7 RS4? I love mine, but I wouldn't mind hopping over to one of those!
Oh boy, that's a thread in its own right. They 1///M and RS 4 as so vastly different (yet intoxicatingly good and addictive), that they are the perfect complement, not substitute. One is a light(er) weight tossable TQ monster that as has been stated 'needs wipers on the side windows', the other is a high rpm loving visceral composed all-weather beast. I am just lucky to have both in the same stable, if only I had enough time to drive them daily as much as I would like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranter View Post
Amazing pics! Congrats on the car and thanks for the pics. The best ED i have seen so far. Enjoy your car and drive safely!
Appreciate the praise, Sir. Would have made it to your neck of the woods in Varna, but decided to fly from Vienna to Bourgas instead (can't beat Lauda Air's Euro 20 flight). And something only you and a handful may understand: "No sledvashtoto liato mozhe da se vidim i piem po edno"

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Awesome write up mate, stunning pics and a fantastic AW1M ED too. A very good way to take delivery of a new car. Wish it was available here in UK.

I did the Scuderia Ferrari F1 experience too at Silverstone Qualifying in July, an awesome day, looks like you had a great time too! Thanks for sharing.
Thx for the kind words, and yes, the paddock experience is indeed something else as you can attest, and hope to be able to do it one fine day in the home of the sport - England, and tour some of the factories and team facilities near by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
congrats.
This is by far the most thorough-written ED experience.
I do have one question. Was that Niki Lauda with the hooded jacket at the Ferrari stand?
Yup indeed, the man himself. I actualy had a chance to talk to him last year at Hockenheim, great guy! And during this vacation I flew on the airlines he owns (Niki/Lauda Air) by far the best service, hottest flight attendants, and great new fleet. I'll be sure to mention the second item next time I see him

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Thanks for sharing by far this is was the most completed details European deliver I've ever seen on this forum, not to mention you must be a huge F1 fan.
Huge doesn't begin to describe it! Was hooked to F1 before I could even learn to ride a bicycle Do Montreal every yr (already booked seats for 2012 in fact), and can't wait for Austin in Nov next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monne View Post
what a little world man! I saw you in Prague...or well...i saw your Arabella in Prague traffic

btw...nice pictures and nice report!
Ha ha, small indeed it is. So many people, especially in CZ, would be waving, whistling, honking, thumbs upping me, that often it was tough to concentrate on driving through crowded streets. Great country, been there a few times and already look frwd to my next trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
This is probably the only reason I won't get a used e90.
Lovely write up! I have to do Ed in 2012
Hah, I hope you do and would be humbled to know I took a small part in your decision, Dave! Appreciate you guys highlighting the thread! I should have her next month back home, and will make it to the next NYC/NJ gathering, more than welcome to driver her so you can fortify your decision
Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
So cool...you definitely made the most of the delivery options...great ED then a 1-day M school at the PDC. Amazing!

Quick question - how did you get that access to the German Grand Prix? It looks like you had a pit pass - so cool!
Yup, had a paddock pit pass and host of Ferrari and Shell. It is something I 'splurge' once a year in my life-long quest to visit every single active circuit in the world (and it is often a tough decision, as I always have to weigh it against putting those funds for say an Akrapovic exhaust . Also privileged to know a few F1 insiders (team CTOs, agents, etc.) so have had a few chances to meet some of the F1 drivers and chat to them eye to eye. For the most part great guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinF10 View Post
Great pics! Always good to see Prague, probably one of the prettiest cities in the world.
Nice to see Coulthard and Lauda as well.
Indeed, Prague was awesome, as it always is. Coulthard and Lauda are pretty regulars (of course former BBC pundit now), and both are very personable guys, great attitude and approachable.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #58
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
///M1, awesome thread. Love the pictures, especially the f1 behind-the-scenes. My ED date is in October and seeing your pictures has brought up a couple questions..

Thanks!
Here are your answers:

- the Euro 80 M3 overnight rental I mentioned is through The Welt (pickup before close, return at opening hours next morning). Sixt is just a regular rental, with no such restrictions.
- yes, all ED customers get a small credit voucher good to be applied towards anything in the store. Ditto for the key chain, they will engrave anything you like on it for free (and key chain of course is free)
- yup, I bought my BMW iPod media adaptor from one of our board sponsors (Dan@United who has hooked me up on a number of things for my 135i and I would recommend any day of the week and twice on Sunday), was $200 or so IIRC. Definitely do so prior to your date and carry it with you from the US. Take it back though, don't risk leaving it in the car, you just never know what our friendly customs officers can do (they will take your warning triangle and first aid kit)
- you can buy Sonax products from any Shell station (perhaps from OMV and others as well, but I stuck to Shell V-Power only and each station had abundant Sonax offerings). I was staying at a friend's house on the day of the wash, but otherwise believe you can find stations where you can do it all yourself, kinda like some of the ones we have States-side
- I didn't get the 1200 mile service, but it was chosing the lesser of two evils. I was in CZ when I hit the mark, spoke to the 3 largest dealers in the area (Prague, Pilzen) and none had serviced the car, knew exactly what was needed, nor had the fluids when I gave them the part number (diff especially). Found that to be the case in HG as well, and in Austria I really didn't drive the car that much so felt I should just do it in the States rather than be the first car serviced at a dealer that was honest and admitted to not being 100% sure what is needed as far as work performed. The guys here at the delivery center have assured me it will be serviced, so when I pick it up at SC from the PCD it will be good to go.
- taking the front plate is OK, the girls (how lovely they were!) in Vienna didn't care. Many have done the same with no issues. Hopefully I will be able to retrieve my rear one as well. The front was with 2-sided tape, so easy to take off, but do it slowly side to side so you don't bend the plate too much, it is fairly soft and the tape is strong.
- Papethova beat me on the PDF doc, it is also available on the ED Wiki
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #59
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Pretty much the BEST euro-delivery trip ever! Its near what I want to do when i finally have the chance to do it.
      08-31-2011, 12:50 AM   #60
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

///M1, thanks so much for taking the time to answer the questions.
      08-31-2011, 01:18 AM   #61
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Amazing! Congrats
      08-31-2011, 04:11 AM   #62
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Absolutely fantastic thread and very worthy of making the main 'page' for bimmerpost.

Love the car and the pitures tell a thousand words - very envious of your F1 pit pass, the whole experience must have been awesome and certainly something you will never ever forget!!

Enjoy your M car
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #63
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Awesome, thanks for posting your experience!!

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #64
I n i T i a L
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
seriously, that has to be the most gorgeous car i have ever seen, my 128i looks like a baby compared to that monster! i hope i can get one soon ..

thank you for sharing your EPIC trip with us.

how are u getting it back to the states? can u keep the euro plates? they look awesome on the car!
      08-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #65
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: Yes

I have to organize a trip like this someday...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:18 AM   #66
M3V10
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F20M

awesome write up! thanks for sharing (:
Appreciate 0