BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

06-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #23
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Isnt the existence of the 1M gift enough?
      06-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #24
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Wait, so is it a fact that they make less money or "just your opinion"?

You do understand that the two are mutually exclusive?
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #25
Kippers
Closeted BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 ///M and 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.87]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [6.80]
Indeed!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Isn't the existence of the 1M gift enough?
2003 325i - OEM - My First **RETIRED**
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #26
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
I'm not sure I understand this.

1. The US was (the last time I checked) still the largest and most important market for BMW and will continue to be for quite some time until the Chinese wealth actually spreads beyond the lucky few with government connections ( granted when the total population is 5x that of the US, 'few' can be quite large).

2. Audi and Mercedes have been eating into BMW market share in the US in the last few years.

3. The people who are going through the equivalent of a prostate exam by a man with hands the size of Shaq are true enthusiasts who will become even more fervent evangelists for the brand.

Please tell me what market conditions would keep BMW from spending a couple of hundred dollars on us?

I think because of the high market in the US that is the reason other markets the car is sold in limited numbers, hence why they get plaques. We are sucking up the available cars, making it harder for other countries to get the 1M.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #27
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippers View Post
Indeed!!!!!!!

I'm still loving every minute of this thing, a gift is the last thing on my mind
      06-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #28
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

BMW's current largest market is Germany , followed by the USA then China.
For M it is the USA for the largest market , but China is catching up quickly to the USA.

2016 is projected to be the year for BMW and other manufacturers to announce that their no1 global market is China.
In some cases take Lamborghini and Rolls-Royce who now have China as their no1 market.

By 2016 over 1 million luxury vehicles will be sold on the Chinese market. And BMW wish to be a significant percentage of those sales.

The issue of "gifts" is dependent on the discreation of the relevant BMW M distributor in this case BMW UK and BMW Fr. Offer their customers something exclusive regarding, but that is on their sole decision. It is nothing to do with BMW AG as these distributors handle their own marketing decisions.

It is also known that customers in most markets do not ask for such goodwill.

Whether the marketing at BMW NA decide to offer something is soley up to them and them only.

BMW AG commissioned the ltd edition print and that is their offering to 1M customers.

But is it not concerning that you want the gift as a priority to actually being satisfied with owning the car?

Last edited by SCOTT26; 06-30-2011 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #29
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

BMW AG commissioned the ltd edition print and that is their offering to 1M customers.

For witch i'm greatfull thank you BMW AG
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #30
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
Shwag.... how about a free set of floor mats? Or some free detailing services... or a free car cover... or better still - an all inclusive trip for every owner to the Ring. EPIC, ill see you all there.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #31
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW's current largest market is Germany , followed by the USA then China.
For M it is the USA for the largest market , but China is catching up quickly to the USA.

2016 is projected to be the year for BMW and other manufacturers to announce that their no1 global market is China.
In some cases take Lamborghini and Rolls-Royce who now have China as their no1 market.

By 2016 over 1 million luxury vehicles will be sold on the Chinese market. And BMW wish to be a significant percentage of those sales.

The issue of "gifts" is dependent on the discreation of the relevant BMW M distributor in this case BMW UK and BMW Fr. Offer their customers something exclusive regarding, but that is on their sole decision. It is nothing to do with BMW AG as these distributors handle their own marketing decisions.

It is also known that customers in most markets do not ask for such goodwill.

Whether the marketing at BMW NA decide to offer something is soley up to them and them only.

But is it not concerning that you want the gift as a priority to actually being satisfied with owning the car?
Thank you for the Wikipedia para-phrase. That was wonderfully informative and not at all contrary to anything I posted in my OP.

I realize that in some parts of the world it's considered bad manners to demand that vendors go out of their way to accommodate customers, but it is not in the US. US customers typically don't accept the 'It's entirely upto Multinational xxxx corp whether they decide to put a steering wheel in the car' argument. You can make whatever cultural and social assumptions about that, but I kindly ask that you keep them to yourself since that would be off topic here.

Since you seem to be quite proficient in doing internet research you may be familiar with the concept of internet petitions that have been wildly successful in getting large corporations to grant various concessions.

Also, I realize that it is the fashion on the Internet to deliberately misunderstand/misquote original statements to better promote your argument, but I don't think I ever said that getting a gift was a higher priority over getting the car. For most US posters on this forum it's not a question of getting the gift or the car. Most of us have our allocations and are waiting for the car (some have even received theirs).

Finally, I don't think we're asking BMW to spend thousands of dollars to create a 1M replica in unobtanium. Most of us would be happy to get a simple plaque with a //M logo like the French and the Brits are getting.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #32
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
Most of us would be happy to get a simple plaque with a //M logo like the French and the Brits are getting.
Actually, I would really like to have a Carbon Fiber fob case if BMW didn't use all of their stock for their French customers. More a favor to them to help get rid of excess product.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #33
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
Actually, I would really like to have a Carbon Fiber fob case if BMW didn't use all of their stock for their French customers. More a favor to them to help get rid of excess product.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #34
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Lightbulb

When I bought my M3 Sedan in '08, I got a free 1-day ///M Performance Driving School in Spartanburg, for me and a friend! That was pretty sweet!
      06-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #35
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
When I bought my M3 Sedan in '08, I got a free 1-day ///M Performance Driving School in Spartanburg, for me and a friend! That was pretty sweet!
I'll trade the plaque and the key fob for that!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #36
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Thank you for the Wikipedia para-phrase. That was wonderfully informative and not at all contrary to anything I posted in my OP.

I realize that in some parts of the world it's considered bad manners to demand that vendors go out of their way to accommodate customers, but it is not in the US. US customers typically don't accept the 'It's entirely upto Multinational xxxx corp whether they decide to put a steering wheel in the car' argument. You can make whatever cultural and social assumptions about that, but I kindly ask that you keep them to yourself since that would be off topic here.

If I may, I don't think SCOTT was making a cultural inference of any kind, and I'm certain his information didn't come from Wikipedia. He (or they) represent BMW AG Marketing.

I believe he's just confirming that it's completely up to BMWNA to do something like this.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #37
snipe
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

"I, along with many other US 1M owners, have been enviously eyeing the various special gifts and plaques being provided to UK/French 1M owners."

Customers in UK and France are paying a bit more for their 1 M. USA-price is ca. € 35,000.
In Germany they pay more than € 50k and in the Netherlands it is more than € 80k.

I think you can get as many gifts from your dealer as you want when you leave such an amount of money ;-)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #38
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe View Post
"I, along with many other US 1M owners, have been enviously eyeing the various special gifts and plaques being provided to UK/French 1M owners."

Customers in UK and France are paying a bit more for their 1 M. USA-price is ca. € 35,000.
In Germany they pay more than € 50k and in the Netherlands it is more than € 80k.

I think you can get as many gifts from your dealer as you want when you leave such an amount of money ;-)
Unless I'm mistaken you pay more because your governments (that you elected) charge you more taxes so you get things like free/ cheap healthcare. We don't get a free ride here.

I don't think Euro dealers are getting any of that money do you?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #39
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka View Post
If I may, I don't think SCOTT was making a cultural inference of any kind, and I'm certain his information didn't come from Wikipedia. He (or they) represent BMW AG Marketing.

I believe he's just confirming that it's completely up to BMWNA to do something like this.
Thanks for the clarification. I got a bit worked up when he said "Isn't it enough you're getting the car?' I'm not "getting" anything from BMW, I'm "paying" them for a product.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #40
snipe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken you pay more because your governments (that you elected) charge you more taxes
Actually, you are mistaken. The 1 M costs € 79,950 with all the taxes, but before taxes it still costs € 48,997.
€ 48,997 is almost $ 71,000

So again, give your dealer 71k and wait to see all his gifts. Bottle of wine, flowers for your wife and may be even more ;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 10:43 AM   #41
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually, you are mistaken. The 1 M costs € 79,950 with all the taxes, but before taxes it still costs € 48,997.
€ 48,997 is almost $ 71,000

So again, give your dealer 71k and wait to see all his gifts. Bottle of wine, flowers for your wife and may be even more ;-)
Please provide sources. Why would the car cost a different amount of money when it is produced in the same place? The only difference would be taxes (VAT/Import/Other). If anything, costs in the Netherlands should be less because the vehicles don't have to cross a great body of water on a ship!

Also, you do realize that straight currency conversions are quite meaningless right? You have to factor in per-capita-income, cost of living and the consumer price index (or equivalent) to have any sort of parity.

Or are you saying that BMWNA is a non-profit in the USA and are selling products below cost?

It's very easy to throw numbers around with no substantive proof and I understand you are pissed off because you are paying more (as you see it) and not getting anything, but don't go raining on our parade because we are doing something about it in the US

I am emailing the Admins/Mods to close down this thread because it's getting way Off Topic and we've been advised that there are conversations going on w/ BMWNA regarding this.

Thanks for all those who participated and contributed your input (positive and negative).

Last edited by b33g33; 07-01-2011 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #42
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

When the 1-series came to the US in 2008, BMWNA gave owners an engraved starter surround, a certificate, a drawing and a very nice leather-bound book; for a car that was new only to the US. The regional pricing was the same then. I don't believe that has any effect on whether or not owner gifts are provided.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #43
snipe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Please provide sources.
I supposed your Dutch is not too well, so I didn't give the link. You can find it here: http://www.bmw.nl/nl/nl/general/down...?download=true
(See 'netto catalogusprijs')

Quote:
It's very easy to throw numbers around with no substantive proof and I understand you are pissed off because you are paying more (as you see it) and not getting anything, but don't go raining on our parade because we are doing something about it in the US
I tought a part of your question was why you didn't 'get' any gifts and the European owners did. The answer is: because they pay more. But one thing is for sure: you can't help that. If you're still getting some gifts, it would be good for you, but I was just answering your question.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #44
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I supposed your Dutch is not too well, so I didn't give the link. You can find it here: http://www.bmw.nl/nl/nl/general/down...?download=true
(See 'netto catalogusprijs')

I tought a part of your question was why you didn't 'get' any gifts and the European owners did. The answer is: because they pay more. But one thing is for sure: you can't help that. If you're still getting some gifts, it would be good for you, but I was just answering your question.
I'm sure we're crossing some wires here because English is not your native language, but how exactly is a link to a brochure considered a source that explains that you actually pay more for the car than US customers (once you consider all the economic factors I pointed out)?

Let me put this very simply:

1. It is my belief that the profit margins (please note that term carefully) are similar for BMW whether they sell a 1M to a Dutch customer for €50k or a US customer for $50k (or at least in the same ball-park. BMW is not the RedCross). Government imposed fines are not BMW's concern and would not factor too much into marketing decisions such as these. That extra amount of money you keep telling me to give my dealer does not go to your dealer either. Big brother or big daddy takes that. So, your argument is false.

2. Whether BMW chooses to 'reward' customers who go through additional hassle to purchase a rate and limited edition vehicle would have nothing to do with what the customer ultimately 'pays' due to individual country's taxes and import duties, it will be tied to the profit margin on each unit and intangibles such as positive press and customer loyalty.

3. We have a saying here that goes 'The squeaky wheel gets the grease'. We're squeaking so we get some grease. If you also want some grease, mobilize your local troops and squeak away. There's no need to come over here and tell us how much drier your axles are and how much you should be commended for taking the high road and not squeaking

Cheers,

Squeaky American Wheeel.

Appreciate 0
Closed Thread