BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #23
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaice View Post
Honestly, if you are concerned with being able to afford the maintenance (and there's nothing wrong with that, I was there myself when I was younger), I would not buy a 135i without a warranty as my one-and-only DD. I love my 135i, but if I needed it as a DD and had a limited budget, I'd be driving something else... like a BRZ, 370Z or a Mustang GT!
I wouldn't buy the BRZ, but then that's because I owned one once.

Some representatives of the 1-Series have now depreciated to the point where financially challenged people can afford to buy them. As stated, this is not a particularly good idea, as the ongoing expenses could put you in the poor house if your finances are marginal.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #24
spain4065
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: EM1 and 08 135i

Just get the route 66 warranty and everything else will work out.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #25
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spain4065 View Post
Just get the route 66 warranty and everything else will work out.
Of course you want someone to ask you, "what is the route 66 warranty?"

I'm not biting
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #26
spain4065
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: EM1 and 08 135i

Great question, please read thread below.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1023296
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 10:19 PM   #27
KNS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i and Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I wouldn't buy the BRZ, but then that's because I owned one once.

Some representatives of the 1-Series have now depreciated to the point where financially challenged people can afford to buy them. As stated, this is not a particularly good idea, as the ongoing expenses could put you in the poor house if your finances are marginal.
What didn't you like about the BRZ - just curious?

I was considering one but got the 128 instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 10:32 PM   #28
Lagzilla
Rep
Drives: None

=spain4065;19343432]Great question, please read thread below.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1023296[/QUOTE]

After reading this as much as I love the car getting a high mileage one will end up being a money pit not to mention the hassle of taking it in the shop all the time. I think I will have to look at something cheaper to maintain and fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 11:12 PM   #29
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
What didn't you like about the BRZ - just curious?

I was considering one but got the 128 instead.
The car was somewhat "cute," however more or less useless for transporting anything other than the driver. It handles well if your definition is limited to turning, however it is beyond GUTLESS, no power whatsoever. The interior is the cheapest I have ever seen, worse than the cheapest Korean economy car you can rent from Enterprise (I know from personal experience). One time I got caught on a twisting mountain road behind a classic car rally with about 100 cars from the 1920s and 1930s. I passed them all, with great difficulty, not impressive considering they were going about 30 miles an hour. My cherished memory of that drive was towards the end hearing my ~40lb doodle barf repeatedly in what passes for a back seat :-)

The F&I guy at the Subaru dealership, when I traded it in on an STi, called it (the BRZ) the perfect "college girl's car." That about summed it up as well as I could have. I owned it for a year and put less than 2000 miles on it, including the 155 miles I had to drive it to the dealership to trade it in. Every time I thought of driving it, after the first month or two, I managed to come up with an excuse to use another vehicle, not a good sign.

If they turboed it or put in a more powerful engine, then at least it could be considered interesting to at least a certain segment of the car enthusiast public.

Last edited by champignon; 02-05-2016 at 11:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 04:07 PM   #30
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
The car was somewhat "cute," however more or less useless for transporting anything other than the driver. It handles well if your definition is limited to turning, however it is beyond GUTLESS, no power whatsoever. The interior is the cheapest I have ever seen, worse than the cheapest Korean economy car you can rent from Enterprise (I know from personal experience). One time I got caught on a twisting mountain road behind a classic car rally with about 100 cars from the 1920s and 1930s. I passed them all, with great difficulty, not impressive considering they were going about 30 miles an hour. My cherished memory of that drive was towards the end hearing my ~40lb doodle barf repeatedly in what passes for a back seat :-)

The F&I guy at the Subaru dealership, when I traded it in on an STi, called it (the BRZ) the perfect "college girl's car." That about summed it up as well as I could have. I owned it for a year and put less than 2000 miles on it, including the 155 miles I had to drive it to the dealership to trade it in. Every time I thought of driving it, after the first month or two, I managed to come up with an excuse to use another vehicle, not a good sign.

If they turboed it or put in a more powerful engine, then at least it could be considered interesting to at least a certain segment of the car enthusiast public.
Good review coming from a previous owner. I only test drove the BRZ, but found the car to be extremely fun to drive. Everything from the precise short-throw shifter, short clutch travel, steering, lightness, handling, boxer rumble, made this a very fun car to drive. I found the car even more fun to drive than the various e82s I drove (128i M-Sport and a few 135i's). Sure, the straightline grunt was lacking (compared to the 135i but not too bad compared to the 128i), but it sure felt adequate and fun, mostly due to all the noise coming in to the cabin, which made it feel "quick". What surprises me is that this car only has 200hp, but it also weighs well under 3000lbs, so it should be quicker than what it is. The other things that really impressed me about the car were the shifter and especially the clutch travel. These felt so much better in the BRZ than in the BMWs.

Nevertheless, this was only a 10 minute drive. Longer term ownership may change anyone's feelings on a car. I can see how such things as the excessive road noise (which made it fun during the test drive) and lack of grunt on open highways, will eventually become turn-offs to the owner. Not to mention the lack of space everywhere (backseat, trunk).

In any case, (slightly off-topic) but it doesn't seem like you like your Subarus much. I recall you saying that even the STI was the least of your current favorite cars. I'd be curious to know why. Even though I've never driven one, I find the STI to be one of the most attractive, hard-core, performance-oriented, and affordable new cars available now. I mean, how many new cars come with hydraulic steering like the STI? LSDs? check. Track-ready brakes? check. Wide-body kit? check. Excellent shifter? check. Wide after-market support? check. Cult following? check. Room for 5? check. Exceptional resale value? check. Only 35k MSRP? double-check.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #31
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
The other things that really impressed me about the car were the shifter and especially the clutch travel. These felt so much better in the BRZ than in the BMWs.

Nevertheless, this was only a 10 minute drive. Longer term ownership may change anyone's feelings on a car. I can see how such things as the excessive road noise (which made it fun during the test drive) and lack of grunt on open highways, will eventually become turn-offs to the owner. Not to mention the lack of space everywhere (backseat, trunk).

In any case, (slightly off-topic) but it doesn't seem like you like your Subarus much. I recall you saying that even the STI was the least of your current favorite cars. I'd be curious to know why. Even though I've never driven one, I find the STI to be one of the most attractive, hard-core, performance-oriented, and affordable new cars available now. I mean, how many new cars come with hydraulic steering like the STI? LSDs? check. Track-ready brakes? check. Wide-body kit? check. Excellent shifter? check. Wide after-market support? check. Cult following? check. Room for 5? check. Exceptional resale value? check. Only 35k MSRP? double-check.
I like the STi if the drive is short enough (say under an hour) but on long drives the noise becomes unnerving, and feeling every single defect in the asphalt gets old. The interstate hwy speed limit in Idaho is 80, so when on the interstate the road noise, at say 83-85, is really excessive, especially given the very high revs that even 6th gear rolls on at those speeds.

If the car was a hatchback, I'd never sell it. I'll probably keep my sedan, hoping that there will be a hatch version the next iteration, and I'll trade it in for that. You are right though, there is a lot to like in the car and the price is right for what you get.

I'm not as enamored of the Subaru shifter and clutch as you appear to be. To me, they are very notchy. As to road noise, the BRZ is way WORSE than the STi, it appears to have not one ounce of sound insulation in the car's body.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #32
Lagzilla
Rep
Drives: None

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #33
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
The OP said a page back that he was no longer interested in buying the high mileage car that he had asked about originally, due to potential cost and risks involved.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #34
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Attached Images