BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
racing games?

Hi guys,
hopefully will be receiving a free PS3 (promotion with if you get a new bravia) within a few weeks, and just wondering what racing games you guys play? haven't played games for a while and am a bit out of it!
anyway also planning on getting a steering wheel thingy, any you guys got any experience with them???
was planning on setting up a little game station thing using my bro's extra mini cooper seats which are lying around lol
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 01:10 AM   #2
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

On the PS3 try GT prologue.
Need for Speed Shift (xbox 360 as well).
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Ah, I just posted up a couple of pics of my set up recently. I think it is the Forza thread? Anyway, heaps of fun with steering wheel set up.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

If you've got a decent PC, the driving games on PC are MUCH better than anything on the consoles (RFactor, GTR Evolution (and all it's derivatives), even Live For Speed is good)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
thanks for the suggestions guys.
as for your set up way, that looks amazing! but prob way beyond what im wanting to spend... was thinking of doing a bodgy home job
just out of curiosity how much does a set up like that cost and where did you get it from?
MickyD, as for PCs, all i got is my poor old macbook which wouldn't really be suitable at all, but thanks anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I've got a PS3 and I've got GT5 Prologue, NFS Shift and NFS Underground.

GT5 Prologue is actually the demo version of GT5 which is expected to come out in March 2010. They've been pushing back the release date for years. This game is not very in depth, only has 6 tracks or so but a pretty decent car list which includes the 135i. The game is a lot cheaper now too and I recommend purchasing the GT5 steering wheel that you buy in a bundle pack, which is what I did. The graphics are unbelievable and the gameplay is somewhat very realistic but they made the 135i very average to say the least, especially in a straight line where I know for a fact it outperforms the Evo X and some other cars.

NFS Shift I purchased recently because it has the 135i in it. The game is based on an arcade style of racing but it's very engaging. Very nice car list which is up to date, allows you to mod your car and the career mode is fun. I enjoy this game and bought it solely because it has the 135i in it but after playing it I'd buy it anyway. I prefer this over GT5 Prologue but maybe because I'm tired of playing that game now. The graphics on Shift are awesome too and the cars look great.

NFS Underground is a waste of time and money, it's very arcade and unrealistic, I don't recommend this to anyone. It came out before NFS Shift which is way better in my opinion.

Forza 3 is the rival car game to GT5 which has always set the bench mark for real simulation car racing games. Only thing is, GT has only ever been available on Playstations and Forza Motorsport only ever available on Xbox, so there is a huge rivalry and fanbase for both. I've always been a Playstation user so I've loved all the GT5's but GT4 is way too dated and GT5 Prologue just doesn't cut it in my opinion. You will eventually get bored of GT5 Prologue.

Forza is an awesome game as well and because FM3 has come out last month it is now easily the best car game on the market but it's only available on Xbox. The modifying aspect of the game is unbelievably realistic and it's easy to invest hundreds of hours into that game. I've been contemplating buying an Xbox just so I can play FM3 until GT5 comes out for Playstation, that's how good it is. Also, they made the 135i very realistic in the game and it outperforms most of its rivals and it suffers from sever understeer in stock form. You'll see what I mean when you play it. I'm sure if you can wait until March, GT5 Prologue will kill the wait but I'd recommend NFS Shift instead, which I also really enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 01:13 AM   #7
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

NFS shift is rubbish imo. The driving is not realistic at all. And nor are the engine sounds (I was really disapointed as I had read they were excellent). As someone said, best driving games are on the PC. The realism and sheer fun I experienced whilst playing GTR2 with a Logitech momo wheel & pedal set on the PC years ago has not been matched by anything on the consoles.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 01:56 AM   #8
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
For driving the 135i, Forza3 suck as well. No way in hell does our car under or snap-oversteer the way it does in this game. The engine sound is also WAY off. I hate playing the nurburgring as it feels like it is tainting the fond memories I still have in my head. Gran Turismo will be much better I'm sure. My friend has an E92 M3, and he says Forza was spot on with his car including sounds and handling. maybe us little entry-level BMW owners don't deserve as much detail.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #9
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep

can't believe I forgot the obvious one for PS3 - Ferrari Challenge. I haven't played it, but apparently it is VERY good.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 03:25 AM   #10
Tarn
Rep
Drives: 135i

just to clear something up
bmw86
"GT5 Prologue is actually the demo version of GT5 which is expected to come out in March 2010"

prologue is not a demo for gt5 it is gt4 in hd; they took the ps2 game and up res'ed it all to be hd thats all it is it uses the gt4 engine which makes it gt4 not gt5

gt5 has a totally new engine so it will but a very different game then gt4 and prologue

as for games for the ps3

there is alot of choices; it really comes down to what you like. you can pick up anything from nascar to f1.

here are your choices

http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?t...nes;category;6

i would personally say pick up prologue and see what you think it shouls keep you busy long enough. for ether gt5 to come out or for you to try other games like uncharted.

my two cents : )
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 06:03 AM   #11
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarn View Post
just to clear something up
bmw86
"GT5 Prologue is actually the demo version of GT5 which is expected to come out in March 2010"

prologue is not a demo for gt5 it is gt4 in hd; they took the ps2 game and up res'ed it all to be hd thats all it is it uses the gt4 engine which makes it gt4 not gt5

gt5 has a totally new engine so it will but a very different game then gt4 and prologue

as for games for the ps3

there is alot of choices; it really comes down to what you like. you can pick up anything from nascar to f1.

here are your choices

http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?t...nes;category;6

i would personally say pick up prologue and see what you think it shouls keep you busy long enough. for ether gt5 to come out or for you to try other games like uncharted.

my two cents : )
GT5 Prologue is a demo version of GT5, hence the name "GT5 Prologue" but it has been out for quite some time now. However, it has been confirmed that GT5 will be based on an entirely new platform to Prologue. GT5 will without a doubt be the best car simulation game for a long time but it is still many months away from being released. I enjoyed Prologue for what it was, I invested many hours into it and because I have a 60 inch 1080p setup I could appreciate the game play and the graphics, it looks absolutely brilliant. However, as good as Prologue is, or disappointing as it is to others, it will be no where near as good as GT5 when it comes out in March 2010. I honestly can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

I've given up on gt5. 5 years since the last release. Come on! It better be damn good, prologue was a waste of time.

Built this the day forza came out which is based on my gtr. Same dimensions exactly measured from the car. It even includes a gtr drivers seat and floor matts from my donation car ;p

Just needs some paint and graphics. And I'm sure it will get replaced with my logitech gear when gt5 actually comes out in 2024 to rival forza 7

11-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #13
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiuM View Post
I've given up on gt5. 5 years since the last release. Come on! It better be damn good, prologue was a waste of time.

Built this the day forza came out which is based on my gtr. Same dimensions exactly measured from the car. It even includes a gtr drivers seat and floor matts from my donation car ;p

Just needs some paint and graphics. And I'm sure it will get replaced with my logitech gear when gt5 actually comes out in 2024 to rival forza 7
Nice rig!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #14
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
thats an awesome setup Radium
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
thanks for all the feed back guys! think i may give nfs shift and possibly prologue a go and probably wait for gt5 to come out.
with ferrari challenge, has anyone played it on the ps3? any good. i remember playing it a couple of times at the arcades years ago and thought it was pretty good.
Radium, thats a pretty nice set up you got there! was hoping to make something similar, but in reality will probably never get around to doing it! lol
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #16
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiuM View Post
And I'm sure it will get replaced with my logitech gear when gt5 actually comes out in 2024 to rival forza 7

Well if it does come out in March 2010 as they've suggested it'll be sure to blow everything else away. GT has always raised the bar to a whole new level... I just hope it happens in my lifetime.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #17
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksgoh View Post
thanks for all the feed back guys! think i may give nfs shift and possibly prologue a go and probably wait for gt5 to come out.
with ferrari challenge, has anyone played it on the ps3? any good. i remember playing it a couple of times at the arcades years ago and thought it was pretty good.
Radium, thats a pretty nice set up you got there! was hoping to make something similar, but in reality will probably never get around to doing it! lol
I have Ferrari Challenge, it was pretty good. I havent' played it much since I got in iRacing on PC.
      11-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #18
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

If there is online mode on PS3 that we can race each other that will be good.

Must use Wire LAN rather than wireless. So if you are not near your modem then you need a powerline ethernet set up.

I saw a steering wheel that is less than $100AUD in Macau! The Logitech GT wheel. Anygood? I can get my mum or sister in law to get one. I forgot to check they are PC or PS3 version though. Are there any difference if they are USB based?
      11-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #19
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
If there is online mode on PS3 that we can race each other that will be good.

Must use Wire LAN rather than wireless. So if you are not near your modem then you need a powerline ethernet set up.

I saw a steering wheel that is less than $100AUD in Macau! The Logitech GT wheel. Anygood? I can get my mum or sister in law to get one. I forgot to check they are PC or PS3 version though. Are there any difference if they are USB based?
I have the Logitech GT steering wheel and I purchased it with Prologue. It's my first steering wheel but it feels great and it's nice and meaty like the ones in our 1er's!! Don't know much about PC/PS3 version although it does connect through the USB port so I can't see why it wouldn't work?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #20
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Shit I should have brought one over last time.

They were on sale for 600 MOP which is like 80AUD.
      11-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #21
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
Shit I should have brought one over last time.

They were on sale for 600 MOP which is like 80AUD.
WOW.. I think I paid about $420 for my Logitech wheel about 2 years ago..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #22
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I have the Logitech GT steering wheel and I purchased it with Prologue. It's my first steering wheel but it feels great and it's nice and meaty like the ones in our 1er's!! Don't know much about PC/PS3 version although it does connect through the USB port so I can't see why it wouldn't work?
it'll work on both, you just need to install the Logitech Gaming Software on the PC to get it to work. I've got the original Driving Force Pro that came out for PS3, and I think I've plugged it into the PS3 once, but I've used it so much on the PC it's nearly worn out.
Appreciate 0