BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Droopy driver's side mirror??

Over the last month or so, I've noticed that my driver's side mirror glass keeps moving. For example, I'll get in the car and it'll be fine. The next time I get in the car, I notice it's aimed very low and so I tilt the glass up (via the switch, of course). Everything seems fine...drive the car a couple times and nothing unusual. Get in the car and notice now the mirror is aimed too high. Weird. Re-aim the mirror down some so I can actually see cars in it. Drive car a couple times and everything is fine. Get in car and now the mirror is aimed too low. Are you sensing the pattern here? This is now happening more frequently, almost every time I drive the car.

Here's what I've been able to decipher. I've been paying particularly close attention to the mirror and I've noticed that when it does get out of aim, it happens when I open the driver's door after shutting off the ignition. This makes me think that it's electrical-related because I know that the electrical system effectively shuts down when the driver's door is opened (windows and moonroof shut off, auto lights shut off, etc.). So, my question is, anyone experience this before? I know, take it to the dealer, but since the problem is intermittent I can all but guarantee that it won't happen while it's there.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Exact same thing happened to my CPO '07 328i wagon's passenger side mirror. While I just lived with it for a few months, it eventually needed adjustment almost every time the ignition was turned on. At that point, my dealer was easily able to observe the problem and promptly replaced the mirror under warranty.

Apparently, this mirror memory loss (CRS?) is common enough that your dealer should be familiar with it.

Let us know how it works out.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

i had this happen as well. for me it was the passenger side mirror. they replaced the whole mirror assembly AND did a reflash, one of which solved the problem. unfortunately i'm not sure which measure was the solution and which was extraneous.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I guess I'll have to make an appointment at the dealer.
Appreciate 0