BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Searched, but need advice on my situation

I have a JB 135 and am having trouble with swirls. My car was a dealer sitter, aka it sat outside for a couple months before I picked it up. So, with this, it has some swirlage all over the car. I'll Zainoed twice now, two coats each time, with Z-5 with Z-FX and Z-6 and the Z-CS. I've used their cotton applicator pads and a nice microfiber cloth to remove the polishes So far, the swirls have not gotten any better. Any suggestions? I realize I won't get much better results with zaino and a buffer, because it really is meant for hand polishing. I have a nice buffer from Griots and some polishes, but I am no expert with it. Any suggestions? Z-PC I can post some pictures if needed.

Thanks!

-Ben
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
04Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Cpe

I also have Jet Black. Zaino has great products, but I always thought their directions were overly complicated.

At one time I thought my hood was ruined with all the swirls I put on by washing and waxing with the wrong products.

I used Menzerna Final Polish II to remove the swirl marks, then I applied Menzerna FMJ Paint Protectant. You can use the product with a buffer or by hand. I used foam applicators. They come in different cutting properties, some made for polish, some made for wax applications, and everything in between. Do your research and it will pay off.

I purchased Menzerna from www.properautocare.com but the product is available from other vendors. As I understand it, Menzerna started out supplying product to German manufacturers to use in their factories.

Because the swirls can show up in different light, I also purchased a portable flourescent light (13 watts) that really shows the swirls so you know you are making progress. I am no fan of Walmart, but they actually sold a pretty nice light for less than $10.00 with a 15 foot cord.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Ty! I might zaino once more, if not, then I'm moving on to these products.

-Ben
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
Stokdgs
Rep
Drives:

The preparation before the Zaino has to be as perfect as you can do it. Claybar first, then try perhaps, their swirl mark remover, Zaino Z-PC Fusion. It works really well, if used with a little Z6 on the pad to keep it wet longer so it will work a little more, it breaks down to a very small amount of powder, and in my experience, leaves no extra marks, that now require yet another swirl remover to remove those new marks..
I have the best results using a Porter Cable 7424 with Lake Country Pads, even their yellow foam pad and all way down through the orange, next aggresive, green, less aggressive, white, very little aggresiveness to black or red, which are polishing pads.
I have had great results on really badly abused black finishes using the machine with the L/C Yellow Pad, Z6 for keeping it damp, and ZPC Fusion only.. Good luck with this. DanF
Appreciate 0