BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #67
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Guys,

It might be a QA issue with the adapters. Mine works perfect, all functions. Video, apps, external antenna, charge, etc. The cable is just a dock extender so I dont have to take my case off. The phone works in the dock as well. The dock fits fine, pops in and out easy and I do not hear the fan.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #68
NC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Took another picture. Hope this helps...

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #69
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

You all on iPhone 4s?

NC thanks for the picture. That is how the Media adapters looks in mine also. But really not working good. Intermittent sadly enough... I will report if and how BMW resolve it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #70
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
I too am having problems with the adaptor. My iphone keeps "chirping" or rebooting. Initially thought the adaptor was not making full contact with the connector, but after trying to push it firmly into arm rest connector I believe it is appropriately positioned (the back of the adaptor is not fully flush with arm rest, as shown by NC's picture).

One time it did work, and the phone did not keep restarting. But since then I've had no luck. I suspect the adaptor is faulty.

Raddoc, I like the content on your idrive screen, but I find it hard to believe you're retaining much about slap lesions while doing power slides in your 1M.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #71
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

I tried two adaptors from BMW. The first one did not work. The second did have the intermittent errors. Would be strange if one broken and the other almost working? But maybe I should try a third? ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #72
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post

Raddoc, I like the content on your idrive screen, but I find it hard to believe you're retaining much about slap lesions while doing power slides in your 1M.
Ha! Agreed. Mostly just keep some cme on the phone for plane trips, etc. Occasionally put it on in the background to listen to audio if nothing on radio. Certainly dont watch video while driving, images way to small anyways.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #73
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Today the iPhone seem to connect much more stable. What is the difference? I have an iPhone 4s. I had not upgraded to 5.01 as I heard there where some issues with that patch. Yesterday evening I thought: Lets make sure everything I can update is updated. So I upgraded to 5.01. Not anything in the info on the patch regarding fixes that would affect car connectivity. So that is the only change since yesterday and after driving like 4-5 times today it has always connected. I use the dock to play Spotify. It shows the songs and the album pictures plus I can change song on the wheel. Will report back if its working from now. Would be interesting if the 5.01 patch actually is that important for BMW Apps connectivity... (I actually think it lost connection yesterday as soon as I did get any notification from the notification center...)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #74
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
I too am having problems with the adaptor. My iphone keeps "chirping" or rebooting.
In the event others encounter this problem, I may have identified a solution. I am using an iPhone 4 with the latest iOS software (5.0.1) and the corresponding media snap in adaptor (part#84212218390).

My phone had been paired with the car's bluetooth when I picked up the vehicle. I did not get the adaptor until a couple weeks later.

I wondered if the "rebooting" problem related to the phone and car trying to communicate simultaneously via both bluetooth and the snap in adaptor, so I erased the phone's bluetooth pairing in idrive.

So far this seems to work, and I can use the snap in adaptor, including the iPod out functionality (iPod interface on idrive) and watch iPod video on the idrive screen.

I have not yet tried re-pairing my phone with the car's bluetooth. Will try this and see if the problem recurs.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #75
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

I have the same setup and also have BT paired before I put the dock in. If it starts messing again I will try removing the BT as you say and test. I basically only used the phone, contact list, loading the phone and spotify using the "plugin" connection. Not played much with Apps yet. (just verified that it works)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 06:11 AM   #76
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
I have the same setup and also have BT paired before I put the dock in. If it starts messing again I will try removing the BT as you say and test.
It seems like this adaptor is very finicky. It would be helpful for people to continue to list any problems they encounter (and possible solutions) on this thread, and perhaps make it a sticky at some point.

I am also having issues with loading MP3s from USB sticks (using glove box USB connector). The car doesn't recognize my main 4 GB stick, but I have been able to load up music from a smaller 128 MB USB stick. Both sticks are formatted using the recommended FAT32 file system. Not sure what the problem might be.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #77
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Problem has returned, so my possible solution did work. Going to try and get a different snap in adaptor.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #78
NC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

For what it's worth I originally had my iPhone 4S paired via Bluetooth and added the phone adapter a week later and have not had any issues. No deletion of the iPhone from the Bluetooth pairing was ever done.

I mentioned in a previous post that while the BMW part numbers were the same for the adapters shown in the posted pictures the smaller number that begins with the letter "P" on the adapter label was different. I'm not sure what that number represents or if it has anything to do with a newer revision of the same part.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #79
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Ha! Agreed. Mostly just keep some cme on the phone for plane trips, etc. Occasionally put it on in the background to listen to audio if nothing on radio. Certainly dont watch video while driving, images way to small anyways.
rad doc, what dock extender cable are you using? Also, what case on your iphone? My bumper is falling apart after only a few months of use.
      01-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #80
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
rad doc, what dock extender cable are you using? Also, what case on your iphone? My bumper is falling apart after only a few months of use.
Cablejive dockXtender, 2 ft. Its more than the ebay variety but is good quality. It does occasionally disconnect from the iphone dock.

The case is a contour design hardskin. Great cover.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #81
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

This is really frustrating. It sounds like there's no true compatible snap in modules for our cars... I highly doubt they're supposed to stick out like that, or that we're supposed to be running into these "It works today...oh wait, never mind" issues

On a side note, does everyone's ConnectedDrive have a built in web browser? I can't tell if our cars are supposed to support the browser or not? Mine doesn't have it displayed. I'm wondering how I can fix that, if it's supposed to have it...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #82
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

I have a browser but when I tested it was very very veeery slow. Even though my 3g is very fast. Even tried using a phone that was connected to my house WLAN but still slooow in the car. I did check a "internet" option in the list when ordering the car. Did cost zero and enables me to use the phone internet connection to surf on the web browser in the car. But that see, to suck big time so nothing you will miss...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #83
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

I wonder if this isn't available in Canada? My car is fully loaded, but I definitely don't have that option. I wonder if there's a way to enable it?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #84
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Should just be software. Maybe someone know how to enable it? But again you will not miss it I promise... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #85
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
This is really frustrating. It sounds like there's no true compatible snap in modules for our cars... I highly doubt they're supposed to stick out like that, or that we're supposed to be running into these "It works today...oh wait, never mind" issues

On a side note, does everyone's ConnectedDrive have a built in web browser? I can't tell if our cars are supposed to support the browser or not? Mine doesn't have it displayed. I'm wondering how I can fix that, if it's supposed to have it...
I really do not think the fact it sticks out means much of anything. It is not that bad and does not prevent the lid from closing. In fact, I did not notice it at first and even now it does not bother me at all. I have not had any connectivity issues at all. Not one single disconnect or difficulty connecting. No problems with bmw apps at all. Not trying to rub it in, just trying to help.

I should also add mine is synced with BT and I often use BT instead of the cradle, example the phones in my pocket and I know its charged so that should not be the problem.

In the US at least, the web browser only works with the BMW Assist premium.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #86
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep

Hey guys,

I dropped by my dealer and they tried to tell me that the snap in doesn't support the iPhone 4S yet. Apparently there's going to be an iDrive update in March that should address this (???). Seems like they just wanted to get rid of me, to be honest.

Does anyone with an iPhone 4S have a working module (Music, Video AND BMW Apps)? If so, could you list the exact model of the module? (on the back).

Are all the people having problems because they have a 4S?

Last edited by -cj-; 01-16-2012 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #87
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Someone earlier in the thread did test with iPhone 4 also and had problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #88
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Hey guys,

I dropped by my dealer and they tried to tell me that the snap in doesn't support the iPhone 4S yet. Apparently there's going to be an iDrive update in March that should address this (???). Seems like they just wanted to get rid of me, to be honest.

Does anyone with an iPhone 4S have a working module (Music, Video AND BMW Apps)? If so, could you list the exact model of the module? (on the back).

Are all the people having problems because they have a 4S?
My 4s works ok with the media adapter, they are a bit temperamental the adapters so try another one
Appreciate 0