BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
spang135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 alpine white 135

So get this crap

So i went to take my car into the shop today . Because last week it did this whole cutting out thing while i was driving It only did it once after i restarted the car it never did it again but anyway so i took it in they hooked it up to the computer to check it out .
So then he comes out (I am stationed in Germany) and says there was a code thrown for running low on fuel . But i know for a Fact i have never done so. He says so we rest that but are mechanic took it for a drive and said yours is way faster then any others he has driven so he thinks you have it chipped ( which i don't because the jb3 and bt came in today ) so i told him the only mod i have is performance exhaust (100% true) which i bought and had installed by them .. He first tried to say that i would have to pay 30 euro because bmw wouldn't pay for the service but i then talked him out of it ..

But really what the hell is that im already getting shit for things i don't even have installed
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Tell them to look for the chip. When they dont find it, pitch and fit and accuse them of being asses to you.

Wait.. WTF? They took your car for a drive and said 'it felt faster?'. Since when is a dealer allowed to abuse a customers car? You should bitch at them until they give you something free.
      04-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

I would make a set of logical statements after they have a day or two to reconsider what they have said. Most of the time, time and the human conscience/mind is the best convincer of all.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
Wait.. WTF? They took your car for a drive and said 'it felt faster?'. Since when is a dealer allowed to abuse a customers car? You should bitch at them until they give you something free.
+1, i would be pissed if the dealer told me they were beating the sh!t out of my car
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
spang135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

well i never had a ecu mod or any other mod for that matter and the exhaust was bmw.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spang135 View Post
well i never had a ecu mod or any other mod for that matter and the exhaust was bmw.
Which is why I say your dealer is garbage, they are pointing the finger that you have a chip when you DON'T. Tell them to F-off.
      04-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
OP - They can now in fact electronically determine ECU Mods even if removed before service, so be advised... The exhaust if not a BMW part is technically a Mod and can cause all sorts of warranty issues as you can read by doing a search at any BMW forum. If it's a BMW system then it's a non-issue.

As far as "beating your car" as long as they drive the car the way it was meant to be driven with a warmed up powertrain, then it's no different than if you did it. It should not be an issue. If it's going to break, it's better for it to do so while they are driving it!

Can you qualify this statement. I can't see how they can detect a piggyback lf you have removed it properly and have checked for codes with the BT scanner.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad chemist View Post
Can you qualify this statement. I can't see how they can detect a piggyback lf you have removed it properly and have checked for codes with the BT scanner.
On other forums there is a theory (have yet to see real proof) that if your car has the Bluetooth and BMW assist options that it has the ability to on-the-fly send ECU codes to BMWs computers.

Some have alledged to receive calls from their local BMW service center indicating their car sent a code reporting to be low on coolant and when can they stop by, etc.

So potentially the technology is there to send codes real time to BMW, but is this actually employed.....I dunno.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

BMW Assist does not exist in many markets... They know service schedules. They even had a commercial a couple years ago where they had a Dad in his E60 and received a call from his dealership that he should schedule service, and he was singing some kid's song when the phone rang....

Last edited by larryn; 04-14-2010 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

If you went to Schaal, I find it hard to believe they would say that or do business in such a way. I'm not one to stick up for stealerships, but they've been real cool with me. They're willing to "overlook" pretty much all mods on US cars except for the tune which they can't keep hidden from bigger brother BMW. But, it's not like they wouldn't know where to look and find it if they had cared to. Maybe you just looked like an easy 30euro for their beer after work?
Denying someone warranty over an accusation is serious business. Something like this would have to have a definite answer. If it happened to me, just as you say, I'd have a lawyer - screw a free part. I've been here for years watching the locals stick it to us AMI's. It'd be my turn.
Also, if you do lose your warranty here in Europe, it's possible to still keep it when you get back to the US - I don't know for sure, but it doesn't seem like the two talk to each other so they might not share the same database. Just ensure to remove all your mods in trying it stateside.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
jthorst75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 ///M Coupe

I am over here at Ramstein and was also told that my car "felt faster". I guess they are used to there 118, 120, 125 deisels that a US spec feels faster. I on the other hand didn't chip mine so they couldn't back it up of course. I took it as a grain of salt because I found this to be the same service for anything here in Germany. (Germans) don't grill me, thats just what I've seen and dealt with.
      04-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"...ECU Mods..." is the operative words.

They can now scan and detect if the software has been changed and reverted back to OE. I think they are using a count sequence which can't be altered? Piggy back might still be OK unless they are logging too? If so you're screwed.

There's no way in the world they are datalogging... I can guarantee that.

Remember Hertz got their hands slapped by the Govmt for remotely accessing the GPS units on cars they were renting, and mailing tickets to renters for speeding in their cars... The courts found that Hertz was illegally monitoring their customers. All fines levied were either nullified or refunded.

BTW, "ECU Mods" and "removed before service" implied piggyback to just about everybody who read that... as you can read from the responses (and immediately what I thought you implied too). The OP was specifically talking about not having installed their JB3 (piggyback).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

We all know our 135i's are dam fast stock.

I think most German dealers just do not see many 135i's in general. I know at my dealer when I took my car there to have my snow tires installed - they ask me with excitement IF I knew how big the front brake calipers were!!! And that they had six piston calipers! They were (all) quite excited to see a 135i!!! And that was just a few months ago! These cars have been out for (almost three years!). I think they only see this engine in the five and X5 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #14
spang135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBluey View Post
If you went to Schaal, I find it hard to believe they would say that or do business in such a way. I'm not one to stick up for stealerships, but they've been real cool with me. They're willing to "overlook" pretty much all mods on US cars except for the tune which they can't keep hidden from bigger brother BMW. But, it's not like they wouldn't know where to look and find it if they had cared to. Maybe you just looked like an easy 30euro for their beer after work?
Denying someone warranty over an accusation is serious business. Something like this would have to have a definite answer. If it happened to me, just as you say, I'd have a lawyer - screw a free part. I've been here for years watching the locals stick it to us AMI's. It'd be my turn.
Also, if you do lose your warranty here in Europe, it's possible to still keep it when you get back to the US - I don't know for sure, but it doesn't seem like the two talk to each other so they might not share the same database. Just ensure to remove all your mods in trying it stateside.

Sadly that is who it was. They were always cool when i would go in there (to spend money) but warrenty work i guess they are not a fan of .. But im telling you my jb3 is still in the box never has so much as touched the car no other mods besides the exhaust i bought and had put on by them
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 07:44 AM   #15
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What you thought I wrote and what I actually wrote were two different things...

An ECU software count system and data logging of engine/vehicle extremes, i.e. over-boost, etc. is completely legal in most places so be warned. No GPS required... Erasing a fault code would not necessarily erase a permanent special vehicle anti-Mod data logging file.
Me thinks you are paranoid.... or simply trolling to make others paranoid.

First, "reporting to home base" is a feature of BMW Assist... not available in most markets.

Second, you have less than zero evidence of these remote data-logging capabilities and state them as fact. I don't even wanna hear "this one guy on this forum once said..." stuff. I'd request that you either back it up, or stop spreading self perpetuated rumors.

Third, you are now mentioning some mystical voodoo "permanent special vehicle anti-Mod data logging file". Oooooooh! That sounds scary. It also sounds like a something that has rectum smell on it.

Fourth, you brought up a non-relevant "fake-fact", if you are talking about supposed things that can supposedly be monitored surrounding reflashes, when only piggybacks were even remotely mentioned.

You might as well talk about bananas.. it's equally off-topic. Your response seems like a cross between Peter from Peter and the Wolf and a character from the cartoon Gulliver's Travels named Glum, who would always say things like: "We'll never make it."

Last edited by larryn; 04-15-2010 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #16
atal
atal
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i terracota int sp/pr pack

I'm here in Germany and my experience was so far good. Krauth dealer here in Hockenheim they not even ask me about any chip or mods they just took the car and check it. I have a jb+ and AFE DCI. I took them off before turn in the car for the HPFP and they fix it with out any problems they even gave me an 335 diesel for 4 days and dammm for been a diesel that car is fast. But any ways sorry to hear about your experience in Spangdahlem, definitely go to a different dealer and remember BMW Deutchland promote what they call "excellence in service"
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #17
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Me thinks you are paranoid.... or simply trolling to make others paranoid.

First, "reporting to home base" is a feature of BMW Assist... not available in most markets.

Second, you have less than zero evidence of these remote data-logging capabilities and state them as fact. I don't even wanna hear "this one guy on this forum once said..." stuff. I'd request that you either back it up, or stop spreading self perpetuated rumors.

Third, you are now mentioning some mystical voodoo "permanent special vehicle anti-Mod data logging file". Oooooooh! That sounds scary. It also sounds like a something that has rectum smell on it.

Fourth, you brought up a non-relevant "fake-fact", if you are talking about supposed things that can supposedly be monitored surrounding reflashes, when only piggybacks were even remotely mentioned.

You might as well talk about bananas.. it's equally off-topic. Your response seems like a cross between Peter from Peter and the Wolf and a character from the cartoon Gulliver's Travels named Glum, who would always say things like: "We'll never make it."

its so annoying seeing all these people post such garbage and never have any proof what so ever
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #18
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You mis-understand and fantasize.

I am not trolling and only provide known information. What people do with it is completely up to them. Absolutely no paranoia here, just reality.

Thanks for backing up everything you purported with these concrete facts.

"What people do with it is completely up to them
"???? I would recommend flushing it. Everything in its place, and all...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #19
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
You mis-understand and fantasize.

I am not trolling and only provide known information. What people do with it is completely up to them. Absolutely no paranoia here, just reality.
What I do not understand is why you would say this KNOWING people are going to ask you to prove it......and then provide no CONCRETE data....jeez...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #20
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #21
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Update: BMWNA just called me to tell me that they remotely activated their remote footcam, and gave me advice on an ingrown toenail.

Gonna have to think twice about wearing flip-flops now.

Wish I hadn't gotten that bluetooth option now...

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #22
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Update: BMWNA just called me to tell me that they remotely activated their remote footcam, and gave me advice on an ingrown toenail.

Gonna have to think twice about wearing flip-flops now.

Wish I hadn't gotten that bluetooth option now...

Appreciate 0