mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnclePerkins View Post
I ordered the TrakkTape product. Based on what's out there in terms of information, reviews, and specs, this looks like the best solution -- it's thick (5 mil), does not leave a residue, has enough tack to stay down over long drives at track speeds but won't harm the paint, and is effective against not only bugs, but more importantly, stone chips. Plan on posting a review during / after the drive home from PCD. Thanks again for all the tips.
Uncle P. How did the trakktape work out for you?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #24
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i (e90) TiAg

Mikewills (and anyone else with interest) -- my apologies for the delay. I should have a write up and some photos out later today. Bottom line -- TrakkTape worked as well or better than advertised. I made it 2600 miles from Performance Center home without a single nick or chip and removed the tape without any residue or paint issues. It was not as easy to install as painter's tape, but much easier to remove and far superior in terms of rain, adhesion, and overall protection. Highly recommend it. More to come . . .
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #25
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
odd mine was messed up :/
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #26
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusclezMarinara View Post
odd mine was messed up :/
Did you use TrakkTape or Griot's? I used TrakkTape and, based on a review I thought I saw from you, I am glad I did not choose Griot's. We ran into a very severe line of thunderstorms in Arkansas on the way home again, with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #27
mikewills
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Thank you for the feedback! I intend on covering the entire front of the car, back of mirrors, roof leading edge, A-pillars, rocker panels, behind front/rear wheels, and forward edge of the rear fender. How much of it did you use? How much do you think I need to cover these areas? Thanks again, Mike.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #28
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep

TrakkTape Temporary Paint Protection

So, as promised, here are my impressions of TrakkTape temporary paint protection and a few lessons learned over my 2600 mile journey from South Carolina westward home.

Installation. TrakkTape (http://www.trakktape.com/) is not easy to install properly. The kit comes with an application tool (felt-lined squeegee) and a very helpful set of instructions. While easy to lay down for a "quick and dirty" installation, proper application (taking care to avoid where possible exposed leading edges and massive bubbles) requires that you take your time. The good news is that tape is very forgiving -- I saw no loss of adhesion after pick-up and reapplication on problem areas. I used the 6" x 100' roll. If I were to do it again, I'd order that roll plus the 3" x 100' roll, as the 6" material can be very challenging to lay down without bubbles and creases on the front end of the 1M; the numerous complex curves and surface variations are tough on the larger roll. My second application (see below re: removal in Amarillo, TX) went much faster (about 45 minutes) and provided much better results in terms of appearance and waste than my first application effort (90 minutes at the Performance Center in an empty preparation bay). Take away here is that it is better to take your time and do a proper installation than rush through a sketchy application.

Adhesion. Leading edges are problematic and rain (especially heavy or sustained) will find its way under parts of the tape. Planning and careful application using the squeegee is key to solving the leading edge issue. If you are successful at applying the tape directly to clean paint without creases leading edges will stay in place even through rain. But creased leading edges are especially vulnerable and rain will only exacerbate the problem. "Vertical" application (length-wise) worked much better than the more easy to apply "horizontal" application. Nevertheless, because the material is rather thick (5 mil, I believe) smaller spots (e.g., mirrors, kidney grilles, and headlight washers) are difficult regardless of application orientation. Here, the 3" roll should help, but even that, I suspect will present weaknesses. We solved the small spot and non-optimal leading edge problem with blue painter's tape. That combination worked very well, though our areas of blue tape seemed to grow with each stop (the painter's tape was failing, not the TrakkTape).

Protection. In terms of protection, the stuff performed flawlessly. After 2600 miles, I had not a single nick or chip where the TrakkTape was applied. My initial application was three layers thick on the flat part of the front bumper and the leading edge of the hood / roundel area. I didn't need to do that. We had to remove the first installation in Amarillo for the 1200 mile service and because we had a lot of rain -- after reading a review of the Griot material, the rain and water under some of the tape (leading edge / crease problems) made me nervous. The second application was one layer thick everywhere (save for necessary overlap to protect leading edges) and worked just as well as the three layers in terms of protection. There was no residue from properly applied / adhered TrakkTape on either application, and both were on for two days each, through rain and in over 100 degree heat. I was impressed. The only residue we found was on a single area where the tape had come loose (ironically, a trailing edge) and was "flapping" for some miles. The residue came off easily with hand-applied wax.

Placement. I applied the tape to my hood, bumper, and mirrors. The underside of the rockers would be candidates for additional coverage if I had it to over again (a single nick from chip / seal work in NM). A-pillars and roof just above the windshield can't hurt. I'd also recommend inside of front wheel wells, especially for AW. I didn't see much use for applying in front of the rear fenders, but again, that can't hurt. I did not apply to the lights, and have not a single nick to make me regret that decision. On the other hand, I was worried about the lights overheating (see the TrakkTape instructions) with that extra layer of film (probably unfounded, by the way).

I think that about covers it. The photos below show (hopefully in order): (1) pre-install delivery room at Performance Center; (2) initial "quick and dirty" (i.e., lost of bubbles and creases) installation at Performance Center; (3) second, much cleaner and more efficient application with blue tape help on edges and small areas (New Mexico); and (4) full-on blue tape for last leg of trip, after running out of TrakkTape (which I removed to show the car off to family and friends four hours from home).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #29
mikewills
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Thank you for the review. Just curious....why would you recommend Applying inside thd front wheel well?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #30
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep

I'd only apply to the body-colored portion of the fender / rocker panel that wraps to the rear inside edge of the wheel well (not the entire black plastic wheel well) up to the point where the metal fender roll begins, and I'd do it for stone chip protection. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #31
apexdc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise (former 540i owner

Hi, I just wanted to thank Uncle Perkins for his account of the adventure getting back home from picking up the new One.

It does get easier to apply after a few tries and taking care to minimize the number of leading edges does help. The adhesive is intended to be sticky, but not TOO sticky and seems to fit that slot nicely.

It is 5 mil thick. Clear bras are typically 8 mil and I think the Griot product is 2.5 mil, as is Road Wrap.

I just shipped another roll this morning to a soon to be new owner taking European Delivery on a One series. I guess he is fearing bugs hitting the car at Autobahn speeds!

Oh, if anyone is using it on track days or long trips, put an extra layer along the lower edge of the rocker panel and along the leading edge of the flare in front of the rear wheels. Any spot that get debris off your own tires can really hit the paint hard. Dropping two wheels off on a dirty track can really thrash those spots. Two or even three layers in those areas is good insurance. One layer is good everywhere else.

If anyone else is interested in giving TrakkTape a try, I just set up a Racers Net code of BMW120 at www.TrakkTape.com. That will give readers of this forum a 600' x 6" roll at $120 instead of the normal $145. There are other sizes as well, but the big roll is by far the best deal.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #32
LeMansM5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Seems like you need expert skill level for applying clear wraps and blue painters tape comes to rescue in the end. On my way back from PCD I bought the widest (3 inch) painters tape and was able to cover the front in 20 minutes in the parking lot in 90 degrees temp. Applying the clear temporary bra when you are away from home and don't have all the tools, is not always practical.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #33
mikewills
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdc View Post
Hi, I just wanted to thank Uncle Perkins for his account of the adventure getting back home from picking up the new One.

It does get easier to apply after a few tries and taking care to minimize the number of leading edges does help. The adhesive is intended to be sticky, but not TOO sticky and seems to fit that slot nicely.

It is 5 mil thick. Clear bras are typically 8 mil and I think the Griot product is 2.5 mil, as is Road Wrap.

I just shipped another roll this morning to a soon to be new owner taking European Delivery on a One series. I guess he is fearing bugs hitting the car at Autobahn speeds!

Oh, if anyone is using it on track days or long trips, put an extra layer along the lower edge of the rocker panel and along the leading edge of the flare in front of the rear wheels. Any spot that get debris off your own tires can really hit the paint hard. Dropping two wheels off on a dirty track can really thrash those spots. Two or even three layers in those areas is good insurance. One layer is good everywhere else.

If anyone else is interested in giving TrakkTape a try, I just set up a Racers Net code of BMW120 at www.TrakkTape.com. That will give readers of this forum a 600' x 6" roll at $120 instead of the normal $145. There are other sizes as well, but the big roll is by far the best deal.

Hey! I'm glad you made it over here from the lotus forum....rave reviews over there from those who have used your product. I'll hit you up in another month.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #34
UnclePerkins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansM5 View Post
Seems like you need expert skill level for applying clear wraps and blue painters tape comes to rescue in the end. On my way back from PCD I bought the widest (3 inch) painters tape and was able to cover the front in 20 minutes in the parking lot in 90 degrees temp. Applying the clear temporary bra when you are away from home and don't have all the tools, is not always practical.
"Expert" is a bit strong in terms of needed skill level and the only "tools" you need are the squeegee and a utility knife. I think after two applications, I could apply it without the blue painter's tape everywhere except around the headlight washer nozzles. I'd wrap the edges over and under the hood and fenders, instead of a straight shot from fender to hood, and that would help. Live and learn. Two main advantages of the TrakkTape over painter's tape are stone chip protection and adhesion if it rains. Best of luck folks.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #35
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnclePerkins View Post
Did you use TrakkTape or Griot's? I used TrakkTape and, based on a review I thought I saw from you, I am glad I did not choose Griot's. We ran into a very severe line of thunderstorms in Arkansas on the way home again, with no issues.
Griots
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 12:39 AM   #36
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

I have bought the Trakk tape. I had the griots one sitting here but after the bad review Im not going to risk it.

I will report back on how it works after I return form european delivery. I plan on using it again at PCD too.

So far I cant speak much of the product, it hasnt even arrived, but the customer service is TOP NOTCH. I was in a rush since I leave on Monday and my order shipped the day I ordered it. Its one thing to buy from good companies, its another thing to buy from other gear heads who understand you and your situation. If the product performs half as well as the service was this will be a recommendation I make to everyone.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 01:49 AM   #37
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

Im going to be using trakk tape. My lotus friends all swear by it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 01:50 AM   #38
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I had the griots one sitting here but after the bad review Im not going to risk it.
Agreed! same here. Im not using any tape that even has the slightest chance of causing issues.
Appreciate 0