BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #23
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Went from an 2007 Audi A6 to 2011 DCT 135i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchiarel View Post
Hello all, I am a nOOb nere, but have been on the Audi forums for a while.

I drive a 2000 Audi S4 and am thinking of selling it and getting a 135i. I tried for a long time to think of a car that I would be happy to replace my beloved S4 and had this idea the other day.

The points that make me want one:

Similar setup as the S4 with a 6 Cylinder Twin Turbo Engine
Aggressive looks (I don't like many new cars these days...)
Great handling
Modifiable (probably won't do anything at least for a while, but it;s nice to know)
Good Online Community

I test drove one today and wasn't 100% impressed but i am hoping it was just that it was automatic. It felt like It was hesitating during WOT and then all of a sudden the gas pedal would go even further to the floor when I already had it pinned. I am completely new to Newer cars, especially BMW's but I had DTS off and don't know what it was doing.

I didn't like the paddle shifters because you always have to be in a gear. You can't just push the clutch in or throw it in neutral, giving it a more jerky ride feeling (maybe I just need to get used to it?)

What can I expect with this car for repairs, common problems i should look for, anything you think I would like to know would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!
Do it. You will love it. Nothing handles like a BMW, no matter how hard Audi tries.

Regards,
Fancyfl1ght
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #24
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2000 Audi S4

No offense taken. Yeah I will have to look for a cpo. I am single no fam 22 years old and don't have any school loans so I can justify spending 300 a month on a car loan. I just don't want a headache.

I am young and figure I may as well get a small car while I still can before I have to fit a wife and kids in a 135i coupe haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #25
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
So on the Audi forum them are people saying I will have just as many problems with this car, BMW means break my wallet, etc.

I like this car a lot and don't want this to push me away from it, but the bottom line is that I have a job I need to get to every day to make average pay. I will tell you for the sake of helping me make the responsible decision I make around 55k. I am wondering what you guys think about the cost of maintenance/ insurance/ others for my budget.

Keep in mind this car is also more than transportation to me. I love to drive and would spend more than the normal person to love my car but not an insane amount that I can't afford. And I do like to work on my car but not if if NEEDS to be fixed all the time in a draining way to make it not worth the headache of "what will go wrong next".

Please, honest, unbiased opinions only...
I have a 2008 135i that so far has been problem free and I drive it fairly hard. The biggest thing you have to worry about is the High Pressure Fuel Pump or HPFP that every N54 equipped motor has. It does seem though that BMW has finally gotten the fix right as they are now issuing recalls for them, and they extended the warranty on the HPFP to 120,000 miles.

Oh and I'm the original owner
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #26
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep

So far I hadn't heard much to send me running. I will be in a decent amount of snow, but driving in snow is just about common sense and being safe.

So, what year is the one I should be looking for?
Any options that are a must without being unnecessary and driving up cost?
What are the differences in years?
What exactly is included in the m sports package?
What are the normal terms or a CPO vehicle?

I love the black but also like the white. The other colors I like but are out of the question(unless it's an unbeatable price). Manual transmission, sports m package. What would be a reasonable price for me to pay and where is the best place to find CPO?

Thanks a lot guys, there's nothing that compares to hearing it straight from the horses mouth.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #27
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Hey dude, I'm forty with a kid and wife

Quote:
No offense taken. Yeah I will have to look for a cpo. I am single no fam 22 years old and don't have any school loans so I can justify spending 300 a month on a car loan. I just don't want a headache.

I am young and figure I may as well get a small car while I still can before I have to fit a wife and kids in a 135i coupe haha.
I went through the whole backseat controversy. That's why you need 2 cars. The 135i is your car, your wife gets the SUV.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #28
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Any thoughts on a newer Evo or STI? anyone with experience to compare to the 135i or b5 s4?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #29
GO135i007
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Alpine/Coral

Quote:
Any thoughts on a newer Evo or STI? anyone with experience to compare to the 135i or b5 s4?
If you are going to buy an Evo I would go with an Evo IX or a pre hatch STi. The 135i is in another league in all categories though from these cars as I've owned all 3.
      02-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #30
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah definitely completely different classes. But I am open for anything, I just need a fun car. I could get away with a 135i in the snow but I would look forward to it with an sti or Evo like I do with the s4.

It jut snowed about 6 inches in a couple hours where I work and I'm excited to go drive. Probably wouldn't get this feeling with a 135i... But it's only ~10 days out of the year. So I won't make my decision based on the weather for 2.7% of the year.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #31
GO135i007
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Alpine/Coral

Quote:
Yeah definitely completely different classes. But I am open for anything, I just need a fun car. I could get away with a 135i in the snow but I would look forward to it with an sti or Evo like I do with the s4.

It jut snowed about 6 inches in a couple hours where I work and I'm excited to go drive. Probably wouldn't get this feeling with a 135i... But it's only ~10 days out of the year. So I won't make my decision based on the weather for 2.7% of the year.
Well, my vote would go to the Evo IX. It was the best model they produced and it will have the all wheel drive you are used to. It will definitely be cheaper to purchase and maintain as well.
      02-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #32
Wilks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO135i007 View Post
Well, my vote would go to the Evo IX. It was the best model they produced and it will have the all wheel drive you are used to. It will definitely be cheaper to purchase and maintain as well.
Evo IX, STi great cars but a little plasticky inside. If you just want a fun car both are great - but the BMW is a nicer, more classy cabin and a little tamer...and what about a 2007+ S4?

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #33
SpankYa
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfl1ght View Post
I went through the whole backseat controversy. That's why you need 2 cars. The 135i is your car, your wife gets the SUV.
Another 40 yr old here. Over the last few years we've had between my wife and me:

F-350 Crew Cab
Honda Odyssey
Mini Cooper S
Audi A6
MB E350
VW GTI
Honda Pilot
Multiple Ducatis, street and race

I think car ownership is cyclical. You start out with something fun/ small, face the realities of family life and get practical, then finally reach a point when you can justify owning multiple vehicles with specific purposes. I think I need an Atom next (in the spirit of ultimate impracticality).
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #34
SpankYa
Rep

BTW, used Cayman or Boxster if it's in your budget. Can you take girls to your apartment or do you need the backseat.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #35
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep

I do like the Evo and sti's but as it was pointed out, they do have that cheap, plastic feel and don't drive as smooth. This is another characteristic I would want seeing as I am in my car quite a bit.

I just can't drive a Cayman... They are just too fancy and not my style for this point in my life. I could see having one when I'm older living somewhere warm. But I feel like the 135i would be safer in the snow and not as expensive to repair such an exotic car. Let me know if I am mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #36
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don't need the backseat either...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #37
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Test drive a 6-speed...specially a 2011 with the new growl...you will buy it. 'Nuff said!

Contrary to what someone said before, the DCT is NOT a manual transmission. It is a quick-shifting automatic transmission with paddle shifters - apparently an automatic transmission lover's dream come true. I wouldn't trade my true manual 6-speed transmission for anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #38
SpankYa
Rep

My instincts tell me your concerns are justified, however I didn't want to settle on gut feeling so I poked around on the web. I timeboxed my research to three minutes and here's some brief info:

Edmunds rates the Cayman as more reliable than the 1-series. See below:

Cayman

1-Series

Consumer reports also reports that the Cayman/ Boxster ranks highly in their Used Car owner satisfaction survey. The 335i is also on the list, but no other BMWs.

Again, this was a three minute research exercise - my point is that perhaps we need to challenge conventional wisdom to find valuable insights.

Quote:
I do like the Evo and sti's but as it was pointed out, they do have that cheap, plastic feel and don't drive as smooth. This is another characteristic I would want seeing as I am in my car quite a bit.

I just can't drive a Cayman... They are just too fancy and not my style for this point in my life. I could see having one when I'm older living somewhere warm. But I feel like the 135i would be safer in the snow and not as expensive to repair such an exotic car. Let me know if I am mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #39
nchiarel
Enlisted Member
Rep

The Cayman is just a little out of my price range. I could get a 2008 for 30K but it would have 50,xxx miles on it.

I absolutely love that car, I just can't see myself driving it right now. Let alone telling my parents I am thinking about buying a Porsche. I plan on having a porsche later in my life, so I can put it off for a while.

I also don't have a driveway or garage so I just can't see parking that on the street. I think I would only get a car like that if I had a garage. I think the BMW fits my needs a bit better. I am not sure about insurance but i would imagine the porsche being pretty high.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #40
SpankYa
Rep

All good reasons. I've always wanted a cool car before I "should" be able to afford it, because there's nothing cool about an old guy in a cool car. Everytime I see a Corvette, I expect to see a sixty year old guy with a toupe and gold chains around his neck. We see the chains since his shirt is unbuttoned to his belly button.

I think I've reached that age for a Porsche. Now I'll need to get a Ferrari before I turn forty-five...

Lester

Quote:
The Cayman is just a little out of my price range. I could get a 2008 for 30K but it would have 50,xxx miles on it.

I absolutely love that car, I just can't see myself driving it right now. Let alone telling my parents I am thinking about buying a Porsche. I plan on having a porsche later in my life, so I can put it off for a while.

I also don't have a driveway or garage so I just can't see parking that on the street. I think I would only get a car like that if I had a garage. I think the BMW fits my needs a bit better. I am not sure about insurance but i would imagine the porsche being pretty high.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #41
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Look for a used 2010 or 2009 with the steptronic. Toss a JB4 in it with DP's and you will be happy. Or if you are looking at a 45k+ car then do a vette and be done with it. More power and speed than you will know what to do with. It will handle better and stop better as well. I wish I went that route looking back.
      02-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #42
E821M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M/330CI ZHP

Caymans/Boxsters are very reliable, as are 911's. Only problem is they do require routine maintenance and that maintenance can be quite expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #43
spyderx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Well, I had 3 evos and now on my fourth, 04 VIII GSR w/ SSL. This car is a blast to drive! Of course it's modded. It's a race car on street. It has been the most dependable ride w/ 150k miles! It's all what you want in your ride, bling or blast.

My 135i Vert is for DD and bling for ladies and Evo for weekend joy ride blast.
Evo puts wide grin on my face, everytime.

BTW, I got a ride in a new 2011 S4 w/ 6cyl SC... man it hits hard!
Slams you back forcefully! Wow, SC are nice.

Had hard time keeping up with this stock S4 in my Evo!!!

Last edited by spyderx; 02-02-2011 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 06:13 AM   #44
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:
U trying to scare me? U succeeded.

I was just getting into doing all the work on my s4. Are these cars easy to find DIY's for things as simple as the fuel pump? Are routine maintenance like oil changes, brakes, etc easy to do yourself? I've never had a car with any warranty. Is it stupid to do the work yourself?

The ONE thing I don't want is a car that will cause problems for me getting to work every day 30 miles away. Is this the wrong car for me? Or is it as easy as a new fuel pump and injectors as soon as I purchase one?
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...101-179ps.html
Appreciate 0