ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

19x11 wide wheel for the rear?

Hi fellas,

To ones who already experimented various wheel/tire sizes on a 1M:

Is it possible to fit a 19x11 inch wide wheel at the rear? Is there enough space and any possible issues due to a fitment of this sort on a 1M with stock suspension and ride height?

I wonder if O.Z Racing Superforgiata wheels with 11 wide on rear would fit. I know that they have a 19x8.5 front and 19x10 rear choice that would fit with zero issues (tire rack lists them as well as the O.Z web site for 1M fitment) but if it fits I could consider a 11 wheel instead of 10 and go for a 305/30/19 tire for a perfect tire/wheel fit which would pretty much be equal to stock 265/35/19 in terms of rolling diameter etc.

That's what I am thinking about since some time:

http://www.ozracing.com/car_wheels_v...ORI/39851.aspx

And that's what makes me think even more (with orange colored O.Z center lock):

http://www.ozracing.com/car_wheels_v...0CL/25488.aspx

Forged, ultra light, ultra strong, 2 years warranty, high quality, good image/reputation, Made in Italy and a nice "alternative look" vs. wonderful stock wheels. Pricy but less so then HREs and BBS FIs and like, better bung for the buck imho.

Any input and idea is welcome.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
@drace1 is running 19x11.5 with his new HREs
i believe @spyder562 is running 19x12 in the rear with his HREs but fitment isnt perfect
my guess is 19x11.5 is the widest you can go with the 1M
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
@drace1 is running 19x11.5 with his new HREs
i believe @spyder562 is running 19x12 in the rear with his HREs but fitment isnt perfect
my guess is 19x11.5 is the widest you can go with the 1M
Thanks a lot Einser.

So, a 19x9 front Superforgiata CL wheel with 255/35 tires mated with 19x11 rears with 305/30 tires would work perfectly on paper! 305/30 is ideal for a 11 wide wheel and also is identical with the stock 265/35 diameter. On fronts, a 255/35 would be largest and closest-to-stock fit for a 9 inch width wheel (minor or no rubbing depending on wheel liner) unless we go oversize (e.g. 275/30) which did not work very well (M3Kerry's recent try). Of course a possible tendency to understeer may be an issue with this combo but that also depends partly on the tire choice. I may still go with PSS unless Bridgestone releases new sizes for their new RE-11A which I have an eye on. I hope when they finish their RE-11 stocks they will expand in 19 inch sizes for the RE11A quickly.

I want to mate this new tire/wheel combo with the Vorshlag camber plates which I hope will arrive sometime soon, ordered on 27th of February, still waiting

I asked minutes ago by e-mail from guys at tire rack if they sell the CL version of these wheels and how would it fit.

And yes, it looks like I don't want to sell this car at all!

Any more ideas anyone?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Since the stock rear 10 inch wide wheel seem to fit the front as well (M3Adjuster tried that for the rest of us), I also wonder how would it be to go 19x10 fr and 19x11 re on 275/30 fr (285 would be overkill and stick out too much imo) and 305/30 re tires. Once we change the stock wheels with aftermarket ones for a variety of reasons, why limit ourselves with a 9 inch wide wheel on front and not go as wide as possible both front and rear? Thinking loud here.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Since the stock rear 10 inch wide wheel seem to fit the front as well (M3Adjuster tried that for the rest of us), I also wonder how would it be to go 19x10 fr and 19x11 re on 275/30 fr (285 would be overkill and stick out too much imo) and 305/30 re tires. Once we change the stock wheels with aftermarket ones for a variety of reasons, why limit ourselves with a 9 inch wide wheel on front and not go as wide as possible both front and rear? Thinking loud here.
Im thinking along the same lines.

Drace has issues rubbing but he is down all the way on KWV3s.

Spyder doesnt have rubbing issues but he is only running springs.

Also, I dont think they are running the same tires

Id like to go as wide as possible all the way around.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Im thinking along the same lines.

Drace has issues rubbing but he is down all the way on KWV3s.

Spyder doesnt have rubbing issues but he is only running springs.

Also, I dont think they are running the same tires

Id like to go as wide as possible all the way around.
Exactly! 1M wheel wells seem to be good for a 10" wheel fr and 11" rear, and good size tires which will also keep (or stay close to) the stock stagger and rolling diameter are 275 or 285/30 fr and 305/30 rear.

PSS is available in those sizes other than the 285/30. Pirelli P Zero and Continental 5P are available including 285/30, new Dunlop Maxx Race too but it is a different category tire. Maybe these new RE-11A will be made in these sizes which could be a good alternative for PSS without getting too much out of street tire category.

There would be little to no compromises with a set up like that, and huge benefits, disregarding the extra cost.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

I took a closer look yesterday... 11 in the rear is easily doable, 11.5 is even doable. It all depends how flush you want the rim of the wheel with your fender. If you want it dead on then you have to find a tire that will fit without rubbing. Im not sure the PS2 will fit in that case. Im assuming the shape of a PSS is similar to the PS2.

I think playing with offsets you can get an 11 inch wheel to sit inside the fender and allow a PS2 without rubbing.

IDK about the 10 inch wheel on the fronts. Maybe if you play with offsets but I think the width will get in the way of steering (tire edge and fenderliner contact/rubbing).
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I took a closer look yesterday... 11 in the rear is easily doable, 11.5 is even doable. It all depends how flush you want the rim of the wheel with your fender. If you want it dead on then you have to find a tire that will fit without rubbing. Im not sure the PS2 will fit in that case. Im assuming the shape of a PSS is similar to the PS2.

I think playing with offsets you can get an 11 inch wheel to sit inside the fender and allow a PS2 without rubbing.

IDK about the 10 inch wheel on the fronts. Maybe if you play with offsets but I think the width will get in the way of steering (tire edge and fenderliner contact/rubbing).
Hmmm, I was thinking the PSS not the PS2, the shape is not same of PS2, in fact PSS looks fatter in same size than PS2. Do you think camber could help? By the way, I believe M3Adjuster tested the rear wheels on front and posted somewhere that they fit though.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850495

This guy is running your dream setup on his M3. In the rear he is running 19×11 ET31 which means it stilcks out 6mm farther (not too aggressive) than stock but 18mm further in which might be an issue. There is a bump in the liner on the passenger side that might cause some rubbing. I don't know if is therefor the battery or what but it is not on the drivers side. Slide under your car and take a look...you will see what I mean. My 275/35 pss clear on stock wheels....that's all I can vouch for...but I would love to fit 305 pss!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850495

This guy is running your dream setup on his M3. In the rear he is running 19×11 ET31 which means it stilcks out 6mm farther (not too aggressive) than stock but 18mm further in which might be an issue. There is a bump in the liner on the passenger side that might cause some rubbing. I don't know if is therefor the battery or what but it is not on the drivers side. Slide under your car and take a look...you will see what I mean. My 275/35 pss clear on stock wheels....that's all I can vouch for...but I would love to fit 305 pss!!!!!!
Thanks for this post, I appreciate. The tire rack responded saying they are not allowed (by manufacturer) to sell and ship O.Z wheels outside US. It looks like it may remain as a "dream set up" after all

I will check and experiment all this when I go to my workshop for some other installations.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

OK, this is what I finally recieved from tire rack:

"Checking on the sizes available … OZ only builds the 5x120 bolt pattern in the Superforgiata wheel in the 19x8.5 and 19x10 with no other sizes available. As a matter of fact, the only wheels that even offer a 5x120 bolt pattern wider than a 10" option, are either 3-piece heavy wheels or the BBS CH-R's weighing in at 27lbs. Again, a very heavy wheel by comparison. You would be better off staying with the narrow tire and wheel combination reducing over unsprung weight, while increasing handling and agility. If you want a more aggressive stance, you can always introduce a space if you're not going to the track. If it’s a track package, then the Tire Rack stock recommendations will give you the best lap times."

Comments?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
OK, this is what I finally recieved from tire rack:

"Checking on the sizes available … OZ only builds the 5x120 bolt pattern in the Superforgiata wheel in the 19x8.5 and 19x10 with no other sizes available. As a matter of fact, the only wheels that even offer a 5x120 bolt pattern wider than a 10" option, are either 3-piece heavy wheels or the BBS CH-R's weighing in at 27lbs. Again, a very heavy wheel by comparison. You would be better off staying with the narrow tire and wheel combination reducing over unsprung weight, while increasing handling and agility. If you want a more aggressive stance, you can always introduce a space if you're not going to the track. If it’s a track package, then the Tire Rack stock recommendations will give you the best lap times."

Comments?
This might be true with the wheels they sell but I know there are quality wheels out there that are both wider and lighter than stock. It just a matter of how much you want to pay.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
This might be true with the wheels they sell but I know there are quality wheels out there that are both wider and lighter than stock. It just a matter of how much you want to pay.
Don't think about the price too much; first I want to know what is the best option. Which wheels you have in mind?
Appreciate 0