BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #67
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

@bradford: I would take dump on a $100 bill and slap it on my car, just to remind me turn in later in MidOhio turn 7. and I call it a "mod". Why do you f.ing care? just shut up and move on. Geez. I just wear my lucky underwear because it makes me faster. The Guy wants CC pads, he will get it. Simple.
      05-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #68
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Did I take a wrong turn and end up in the Pansy Forum?

What's the problem with a dissenting opinion?

Man up, buttercups.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #69
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

Agreed it's pretty funny. Some times it's just not worth responding to.

Back to brake pads. My 135i with Cool Carbons are resting the weekend at the BMW dealership. Tits up HPFP at 3600 miles. I'm getting and new one! LOL Well they gave me a 2009 Z4 Sdrive30i hard top cab with a MSRP of $54k gosh. Guess what it has the same grabby brakes. I miss my 135i immensly and CC brake pads. It's just my preference that I prefer the non-stock OEM pad. Oh well different strokes for different folks. Thank god for choices and manufacturers who make them.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #70
bradford
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisitalia View Post
Guess what it has the same grabby brakes. I miss my 135i immensly and CC brake pads. It's just my preference that I prefer the non-stock OEM pad. Oh well different strokes for different folks.
Sure. I definitely prefer a more aggressive initial bite than many people. I have tried a lot of track pads (Ferodo, Porterfield, Carbotech, Axxis, EBC, Performance Friction, Pagid, and whatever I'm forgetting) but I keep coming back to Hawk HT-10s. I know a lot of guys who say they're too binary, but it's never been a problem for me.

I just consider street pads street pads I guess. I flogged the living $hit out of a bone stock 135i at the track and I could only induce fade after several laps. Compared to street use, this would be considered abuse.

$300 a pop for something you replace 2-3 times over the course of the warranty seems like a bit of a princely sum to pay to keep your wheels shiny and the decibels down, but those are not my priorities. I'd blow the grand somewhere else (SUBFRAME BUSHINGS!!!)...but that's just me.

So let's all sing KUMBAYA now, OK...?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #71
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

Street versus track is another matter. I just don't like the stock OEM initial GRAB for the street. I like a smoother linear pad in general. Even for the track I don't like too much of a bite and some times I have backed off a notch on compound agressiveness. I prefer to do linear brake modulation and minimize upsetting the balance with the jerking dive characteristics.

Actually that is a pretty good turn out for a stock 135i. I once took a new WRX with 250 miles on it and trashed a set of brake pads in lesss than two hours and chunked the stock tires. That's the last it saw the track. Too much work to make it track worthy.

You got a point about paying extra for brake pads. But I got my set for $200 and I bet they last until the warrenty expires. But I don't expect I will even keep the car that long. Yeah these pads sure don't dust much, so it cost me $200 and half the washings. Save the sweat equity and throw money at it. Also I like the braking characteristics better. I even remember swaping out to another pad for the street on my E36 M3. I guess I can say I just don't like BMWs choice in pads. Who makes them? Textar, Jurid, ATE???

It seems Porsche knows some thing about brakes and pad selection. I miss Porsche's for their brakes. Never had a single issue with the street pads or any negative performance issues with Porsche brakes on the track either.

Last edited by Cisitalia; 05-15-2010 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #72
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
A smattering of my LOLfodder:

"you need to be operating on hot brakes for those pads to work properly." Not exactly a trait I'm looking for in a street pad

"actually it was embarrassing to drive with a squeak like that!" German brake pads all squeal. It's normal, and they even have pamphlets at the dealers explaining it so former Lexus owners don't get their panties in a bunch. Effective braking > impressing people at the bus stop

"that huge bite can get you in an accident if ur not always careful." Please head to your local DMV and turn in your license immediately.

So anyway, that's why I was laughing. Pretty benign comments on my behalf, and AFAIK voicing one's opinion is allowed and/or encouraged, no?

Then I get home after an evening of enjoying drinks with friends, and I'm told that I don't understand what the discussion is about. I'm not sure how the poster arrived at that conclusion given my limited comments in the thread. But hey, if you're going to go ad hominem, I can play that game with the best of them...
Yes, I've read the pamphlet and I don't think that makes it OK. Everyone else I know with 335i's, VW's, Audis do not have a problem with squealing brake pads. I really don't care about impressing anyone, so maybe calling it embarrassing was not the right phrase...but if I can hear brakes squeal in all temperatures and pedal pressure so loud that I hear that over my radio, its fairly ridiculous. I've never owned a lexus, and I agree effective braking is a good thing over some squeal and dust. My wheels are not shiny BTW. My main reason for changing mine was for performance purposes, so to improve the effective braking category; the other benefits are just a bonus I guess.

I don't think there is any reason to be condescending to those that would like to make modifications to different parts of the car. If warranty and money is a concern for brakes I can see that, but some may have the same concerns about something like subframe bushings (especially given BMW's past with this).

I guess I can appreciate you trying to save people money, or point them in the right direction for more noticeable performance improvement per dollar (in your opinion), but I don't really appreciate being "lol"ed because I gave my opinion about a product I have experience with (i.e. its on my car). We all have different opinions I suppose, and thats a good thing.

Kumbaya,

Tim
      05-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #73
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Quote:
Absolutely nothing. It's only when you start acting like 'teenage douchebag':

Quote:
Alternatively, you could attempt to get better at the things at which you suck, instead of "solving" your inadequacies with new mods.
That you become a bit of a bother. You can crawl back into your 'I'm Bradford, therefore superior' shell if you like, but I count a minimum of 5 people who have told you off for being a schmuck in this thread, so you might give that a little thought while you're in there...

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #74
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Did I take a wrong turn and end up in the Pansy Forum?

Man up, buttercups.

The problem here is that your opinion isn't based on any real experience whatsoever, so it's worthless.

How about if YOU "man up" and just admit that you opened your mouth when you shouldn't have?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #75
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"actually it was embarrassing to drive with a squeak like that!" German brake pads all squeal. It's normal, and they even have pamphlets at the dealers explaining it so former Lexus owners don't get their panties in a bunch. Effective braking > impressing people at the bus stop

Mine don't make a sound. Neither did the ones on my previous BMW, or the VW I had.

PLEASE post this pamphlet you're talking about so we can examine it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #76
bluemoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Mine don't make a sound. Neither did the ones on my previous BMW, or the VW I had.

PLEASE post this pamphlet you're talking about so we can examine it.
I'm sure he'll post the pamphlet as soon as he gets back from working his newspaper delivery route. But geez, everyone knows ALL german pads squeak...yep, every single one of 'em.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #77
bradford
Major
Rep

Sweet, the turnip truck is on a recurring route. I'm game for more.

Lemme see if I can dig that pamphlet up for ya...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #78
bradford
Major
Rep

And brakes squeal, not squeak.

With few exceptions this seems like a thread full of ESL 16 year olds.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 11:28 PM   #79
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Here is the "pamphlet" and I believe there is a TSB with about the same information specifically for the 135i (i.e. that's normal for a BMW). I think this is more of an excuse and a way to quiet customer complaints of squealing brakes (even though the excuse is a valid one). As I said, I've ridden in many German cars before with no squealing like the 135i, so I felt it was excessive on my car. Do the brakes on the turnip truck squeal as well???

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BRAKE SQUEAL-1.pdf (49.6 KB, 93 views)
      05-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #80
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Mine produce a Slight Squeal at around 40mph. Once the car gets below 40,..the squeal goes away. Also, no noise above 40 either. A bit odd, but it is so slight I barely notice it.
One thing I do notice is the Cool Carbons do seem to move around in the calipers ever so slightly after backing up and applying the brakes to moving forward and applying the brakes. (Did I explain that correctly?)
I know for a fact that Ive installed them correctly, so Improper install is not the issue. Maybe they dont fit into the grooves in the caliper as precisely as the OEM pads?
Anyone else notice this?

EDIT: I did Install Anti-Squeal to all 4 backing plates.
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."

Last edited by Esmallstii; 05-18-2010 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: Added more info
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #81
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

Mine do not squeal, even with no anti-queal. I thought the backing plates were for noise/heat dissipation (correct me if i'm wrong). I did notice less initial grab, with the same pedal effort as stock, but with a little more effort, they grab just as well. I'm a HPDE noob (only 4 events) and the stock brake pads worked well for me, once I learned to stop riding the brakes and started to brake later and harder. On street tires, i was able to just barely able to engage the abs, so I guess I don't need more pad than that, but I was hoping the CC's would handle the abuse a little better. Havent been to the track yet with them so I cannot comment on that yet.

2016 M4 MG 6MT, sunroof. Some audio mods, Swift springs (so far).
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #82
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

bradford you keep talking about what YOU like and what YOU prefer. I respectfully tell you that I don't give a flying rats bootyhole what you like.

I bought these pads because I am sick of the brake dust and squealing. If I bought them to hang on my wall and stare at them, why do you care?

What is so illegitimate about getting new pads because I'm tired of cleaning my rims every 4 days and having to hear that POS squeal at every light?

What don't you comprehend? Seriously, everyone gets it but you. I'm not trying to be an ass, but you come off as one so you should understand where I'm coming from.
      05-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #83
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I gotta say one thing about the squealing, my CC pads were squealing a bit on the left after I bedded but ever since I washed my car last and spent a lil more time flushing water thru the wheels and the calipers, the noise is completely gone. I think if u brake hard ALOT, a good bit of dust and particles may build up in the hardware and cause the noise. The CC's I think it was mainly cuz they were new and I had just bedded them so there was a good bit of initial dust and shit from em, but now theyre clean and zero noise.

The stock pads since they give off more dust, the may just need additional flushing whenever u wash the car, if this does not work then I would suggest u get them looked at cuz I really dont think any decent pad or set of brakes is supposed to consistently make noise like that for any reason other then the buildup of dust..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 04:16 PM   #84
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hopefully this will clear somethings up about the Cool Carbon Pads:

Any noise on CC after break in is usually eliminated with water from hose flushed thru caliper to eliminate any particles, assuming proper installation.

As for the initial bite of the pad, this will increase and be improved dramatically after the break in period is completed.

The BMW pamphlet discusses semi-met pads which by definition are 50% or greater steel fiber (steel wool) content and tend to generate more noise possibilities. The CC Pads have a ceramic content, but are actually low met which is less than 10% of the ferrous content.

These pads, though very sufficient on the track, are still considered street pads. These will be the best application possible for your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #85
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrian @ eas View Post
Hopefully this will clear somethings up about the Cool Carbon Pads:

Any noise on CC after break in is usually eliminated with water from hose flushed thru caliper to eliminate any particles, assuming proper installation.

As for the initial bite of the pad, this will increase and be improved dramatically after the break in period is completed.

The BMW pamphlet discusses semi-met pads which by definition are 50% or greater steel fiber (steel wool) content and tend to generate more noise possibilities. The CC Pads have a ceramic content, but are actually low met which is less than 10% of the ferrous content.

These pads, though very sufficient on the track, are still considered street pads. These will be the best application possible for your vehicle.
booyah
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #86
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

wait for it.... wait for it.... bradford inc.
      05-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #87
bradford
Major
Rep

Newp I'm done. If I spend any more time in this thread, I'm going to catch a yeast infection.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #88
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Newp I'm done. If I spend any more time in this thread, I'm going to catch a yeast infection.

You infected the whole thread with something MUCH worse than yeast.
Appreciate 0