BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

Tune on top of another tune?

Has anyone tried this?

For instance, if you got the Dinan/BMW performance tune and then decided it wasn't enough so you add a JB+...

Is that like super bad ju ju? possible consequences? (of course warranty void)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBluey View Post
Has anyone tried this?

For instance, if you got the Dinan/BMW performance tune and then decided it wasn't enough so you add a JB+...

Is that like super bad ju ju? possible consequences? (of course warranty void)
I would say that that would be super bad.

The chip tunes work by sending false signals of low boost to the DME, the DME compensates by increasing the boost.

The Dinan tune is a DME flash. It replaces the factory engine software entirely, hence why it more expensive. The Dinan tune is already running 400+ HP and 13 lbs of boost. Much more than that would potentially blow up your engine...

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

There is more than one person that I know of that did the Dinan Stg.II/JB+ combo. I would contact Terry to send you a modified JB+ for this specific purpose. One of the kids who used to do this lived by me and had no issues. He eventually scrapped the combo and went with a JB3.
      03-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

The problem with tunes is that they do not add on to one another. For instance, 40HP claimed with the JB system and 40 HP with the Dinan system, if put together, does not mean 80HP. The tunes are designed off of a factory ECU so you could run into compatibility issues as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

There is a special version of the JB+ for use with Dinan tune
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
BBBluey
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
There is a special version of the JB+ for use with Dinan tune
Would you know if this special version is just to lower the JB+ boost considering how high Dinan puts it at or is it also for "compatability" with Dinan?

I ask because the BMW PPK puts out a lower boost and it's still BMW software so I"m guessing a regular JB+ at default would be fine on both fronts.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Try asking over at N54tech...Terry can give you all the specs on the tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Why not just get Procede or JB3, i dont get this?
      03-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #9
BBBluey
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
Why not just get Procede or JB3, i dont get this?
If you already paid for the Dinan or PPK tune but want more either now or down the road when warranty expires, is it possible to add, without terrible consequences, a seperate tune in addition? or would I have to remove the Dinan/PPK tune (software) in order to try a different tuner?

Make sense? I'll pay the $2K for the PPK now to keep warranty but when that runs out, and I'm ready to play, is running the JB3 2.0/JB+, with that same software, ok?

According to Terry, it's OK to do it with the BMW PPK tune. But no inquiry with the Dinan tune.

Also, considering the change in motors (N55)- I'm guessing JB+'s and JB3's will change as well to something else that will work with those motors/software, so the current versions might come difficult to acquire. so probably best to get the stuff now while it's readily available. Not really sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
deek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

How about dinan stg2 with procede using the autotuning feature?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #11
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
If you already paid for the Dinan or PPK tune but want more either now or down the road when warranty expires, is it possible to add, without terrible consequences, a seperate tune in addition? or would I have to remove the Dinan/PPK tune (software) in order to try a different tuner?

Make sense? I'll pay the $2K for the PPK now to keep warranty but when that runs out, and I'm ready to play, is running the JB3 2.0/JB+, with that same software, ok?

According to Terry, it's OK to do it with the BMW PPK tune. But no inquiry with the Dinan tune.

Also, considering the change in motors (N55)- I'm guessing JB+'s and JB3's will change as well to something else that will work with those motors/software, so the current versions might come difficult to acquire. so probably best to get the stuff now while it's readily available. Not really sure.
If you get the PPK flash and decide to get a piggyback tune just have them flash it back to stock then install your piggyback so that way there's no problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #12
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Would you know if this special version is just to lower the JB+ boost considering how high Dinan puts it at or is it also for "compatability" with Dinan?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's possible for it to just kinda simply work that way. For example say JB+ adds just shy of +5 psi ont he max setting. I'm not sure about the Dinan tune, but considering someone else mentioned 13 psi, and I *think* 8 psi is standard that's +5 psi.

However, the Dinan most likely change a butt ton of other parameters that the JB+ doesn't touch, just because it's an easy plug and play type of thing and is limited by that. The other parameters the JB+ does change that contribute to the boost change will be in conflict with the Dinan software, because the JB+ is expecting certain parameters from a stock ECU and the Dinan ECU is giving different parameters. Not just base values or anything either, they're ever-changing, by the second, temperature dependent, altitude dependant etc, so the JB+ will be conflicting with the Dinan ECU many times a minute! Hence, the need for a JB+ based off a Dinan ECU, which there isn't a huge market for.

On top of that, +5 and +5 doesnt equal +10 psi. Since the JB+ is based on the stock ECU, it's messing with the computer's altitude, temperature, etc parameters based on what the stock ECU parameters would be. It wouldn't "expect" the boost at x temperature, y altitude, z other parameter, to be at the stock level PLUS whatever the Dinan ECU increased it to, so it likely wouldn't add to it, it would just confuse the ECU and cause errors. In that way, the JB+ doesn't simply "add" anything but sets the boost to a certain level, which is higher than normal, which is why we colloquially say it adds to the stock boost. If the boost is already at that higher level then I don't think it would "add" anything at all, it would either do nothing since the increased pressure is already there, or be conflicted and cause an error..

Please, correct me if I'm wrong. My computer science expertise is limited to a java/html class, and my car expertise is limited to what I read online. It's just what I've made sense of at this point. Stacking tunes that aren't meant to be stacked = errors and problems, not extra boost. In most cases..

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Last edited by 1speedbike; 12-05-2010 at 12:08 AM..
Appreciate 0