BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
What A Day At The Track (spin, fire & new record)

I got to meet two local forum members GARYS & MDORPHIN. it was nice meeting you guys. so it turned out to be more excitement than I had bargained. had a major spin on the first session of the day going around a high speed corner. the asphalt was still cold and damp and I had stiffened up the coilovers too much plus it seems that I may have apexed early and got carried away chasing a Z06. I came to a stop literally a foot from the tire barrier. thank god no harm done and at least I managed to keep the nose pointing in the right direction.

the next session a local pro driver Brian Hair who races various bmw wanted to shake down my car. earlier in the day he had taken MDORPHIN AW 1M around the track and now was the time to compare the two cars. I was very excited about his impressions and how it compared in lap times. earlier this year he had driven a E90 M3 on this same track part of the one lap of america. so this was going to be an excellent comparison considering the same driver had driven the three cars around the same track. anyway I rode shot gun and we got off. he started picking up speed after a few laps and then an OMG moment. I noticed something was wrong and he was fidgeting with the car and trying to shut it down while we were still driving around the track. I asked what was wrong and he tells me the throttle is stuck wide open! you can imagine my horror when he started to ask me what to do. so we kept it in 6 gear and used the brakes to slow us down until we managed to get to the pit area and finally I told him to stall the car which he did and then there was smoke coming from the brakes. next thing I see is the pit crew rushing over with fire extinguishers putting out the brake pads which were on fire! quick side note, I guess the Ferodo pads can handle the heat! btw they were great! no fade, no vibration and excellent feel. anyway I found out the reason the throttle was stuck was that the pedal would stick when you mashed the throttle. guess the reason that never happened while I been driving was I never mashed the throttle. so the reason the throttle got stuck was one of the screws that held the race pedals was protruding from behind and it was a sharp screw. so anyway after removing that one screw all was well except my now singed calipers. quick check of the pads and the calipers showed no major damage other than discoloration. surprisingly the pistons and the seals still looked good.

so after all this I had to let him take her out again. after a warm up lap I was holding on for dear life. I was close to soiling my shorts at how fast he was taking some of the turns. the experience as a passenger was frightening. after we finished up I had a profound respect for the instructors. the balls you must have to put your life in a strangers hand. anyway now with the goods. he posted a fast lap of 1:26.2 which bested my best time by 1.3 sec. in comparison with the 1M he posted a 1:27.8 and with the E90 M3 he had posted a 1:26.5. he was so impressed with my car and how it performed. I asked him what should be my next mod and he said an LSD and a tune and I would be set. he also mentioned how well the brakes worked and how planted the car felt through the twisties. so I would say that was an excellent comprehensive comparison of the three cars. I can't say how pleased I was with the results. I know a lot of people would say "well you have R comps and the other two cars were on PSS". fair enough, but keep in mind I may have had an advantage with the R comps but I didn't have an LSD and I am down on power compared to the other two. all in all, I will take this win and run with it enjoy the videos + new exhaust audio synch

Last edited by pixelblue; 09-28-2011 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Wow... you had a couple hairy experiences in one day. Glad no damage. Very cool videos, and even though you had spoilers that you don't actually hit anything, I was stomach knotted watching it..

There were a handful of folk talking about Summit Point yesterday, bot praises, and lots of talk of deer running on track. I can see why now!

Very cool. Hey.. have you thought of getting gloves? It makes a huge amount of steering control impact. Sweat (or even mild dampness) no longer become an issue with shuffle steering and wheel grip.

Nice driving.. and again, good save!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
yeah there are a lot of wildlife around. last year I almost flattened a ground hog. this year I had a family of wild turkeys taking a stroll along the track. had 3-4 cars braking hard behind me. heard some horror stories of unlucky deers and drivers. it certainly adds an extra element of concentration. only thing missing would be sniper fire which btw you can hear gun fire all day long. so who knows where a stray bullet may land.

been thinking about gloves but honestly I am worried people may think I am a poser I mean if I ever get into club racing I would do it but somehow I don't think it's needed for anyone less than a pro. but different strokes for different folks I guess, I am not judging. would love a nice custom suit when I go club racing though
      09-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

That basically sums up the spin / stuck throttle.. Glad as is well with you / the body work / and the brakes..

It is pretty wild when someone drivers your car and you in the "Bitch seat"... but just think about it.. your sensation is because your not in control while a passanger.. He would have ben tossed around just the same with you driving only 1.3 seconds slower...

Ive only been to summit once, ran 1:34 and it was my third ever track event.. Im going back in November 12/13 ill let you know what happens...

BTW when i was there I Volunteered Flagging for the enduro race..... wanna know what my job was ?????

from the start finish tower i would help identify broken / damaged cars as they passed..AND watch for deer crossing before turn 1 !!!!!! LOL... crazy track, but i like it ...
      09-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Black Sheep
A Zip an a Double Cup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Nice vids

PTF Tuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

So you ran down an M3 and a 1M in a 135i without a tune or an LSD... Good work! Awesome driving and nice job dialing in your car. Are you using the stock brake calipers and rotors with the Ferrodo pads and some fluid? What are you using for a suspension setup, Bilstein's with Vorshlag plates with a nice alignment and race tires? Any weight reduction? Was their anything done to either the M3 and the 1M that he drove?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
It is pretty wild when someone drivers your car and you in the "Bitch seat"... but just think about it.. your sensation is because your not in control while a passanger.. He would have ben tossed around just the same with you driving only 1.3 seconds slower...
Alex you are funny! "bitch seat" but seriously you are right, I don't think my heart even skipped a beat when I spun out. the whole time he was driving I was clenching my teeth and grasping the door handle so hard and was thinking if he wrecks the car how is going to pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
Nice vids
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoFast1589 View Post
So you ran down an M3 and a 1M in a 135i without a tune or an LSD... Good work! Awesome driving and nice job dialing in your car. Are you using the stock brake calipers and rotors with the Ferrodo pads and some fluid? What are you using for a suspension setup, Bilstein's with Vorshlag plates with a nice alignment and race tires? Any weight reduction? Was their anything done to either the M3 and the 1M that he drove?
well I didn't drive them down myself but a pro driver did. very objective test since one driver drove all three on the same track. yup on the stock calipers that are now a bit toasty looking. but yeah running motul 600 brake fluid with the Ferodo pads. did I say they can handle the heat my only weight reduction is track wheels and tires. shed close to 80 lbs. the M3 was stock but the 1M had an after market FMIC, dual cone intakes and race pads
      09-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
well I didn't drive them down myself but a pro driver did. very objective test since one driver drove all three on the same track. yup on the stock calipers that are now a bit toasty looking. but yeah running motul 600 brake fluid with the Ferodo pads. did I say they can handle the heat my only weight reduction is track wheels and tires. shed close to 80 lbs. the M3 was stock but the 1M had an after market FMIC, dual cone intakes and race pads
You were only a second or so off from the pro on a 1min 30 sec course... Not too bad! Pat yourself on the back! Yeah, I am pretty impressed with the braking performance right there. I had Ferodo's on my last car. You pay a pretty penny for them, but they work so well. Makes sense that the M3 is so quick on a track like that. Long straights and high speed corners allow it to utilize its good stability and rev happy power band.

Just watched your spin out video, nice attempt to save it. Having your rears on the bumper or grass looked like it fucked you from saving it with a quick correction.

What makes your experience and this thread so good is that it shows us that all you need is a properly dialed in suspension setup and a fast driver to be on par with the M3 and 1M.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoFast1589 View Post
What makes your experience and this thread so good is that it shows us that all you need is a properly dialed in suspension setup and a fast driver to be on par with the M3 and 1M.
amen brother
      09-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
The 1M had stock PS2's and PFC 01s. I don't think he had any other performance mods.

My day was not nearly as exciting as Kori's. But MDORPHIN (Neil Simon) was my instructor so I got great instruction and a ride in his 1M. I would have asked Kori for a ride, but after brakes on fire, I figured he needed his car to himself.

I'll be there again on Shenandoah next weekend. Shenandoah is much more technical and much less scary. But still plenty of deer and groundhogs and skunks.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
The 1M had stock PS2's and PFC 01s. I don't think he had any other performance mods.

My day was not nearly as exciting as Kori's. But MDORPHIN (Neil Simon) was my instructor so I got great instruction and a ride in his 1M. I would have asked Kori for a ride, but after brakes on fire, I figured he needed his car to himself.

I'll be there again on Shenandoah next weekend. Shenandoah is much more technical and much less scary. But still plenty of deer and groundhogs and skunks.
Hey Gary, Neil told me he had an upgrade fmic and I peeked under his hood and saw the dci. I will see you next week and I promise a ride
      09-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Hit the start button 3 times quickly and the engine will turn off.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

pixelblue, that was so scary..back in 2000 I had a E36 M3 that I wrecked in that exact same turn and I lost it just like you did. Unfortunately back then I was much greener and didn't have the reaction to keep the nose as straight..the car rolled several times...

Anyway...I just got my car back with the TC Kline D/A coilovers, i'm installing rotors and ferodo pads this weekend and hope to be out in summit at the next FATT.

Hope to you see there..

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #14
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
pixelblue, that was so scary..back in 2000 I had a E36 M3 that I wrecked in that exact same turn and I lost it just like you did. Unfortunately back then I was much greener and didn't have the reaction to keep the nose as straight..the car rolled several times...

Anyway...I just got my car back with the TC Kline D/A coilovers, i'm installing rotors and ferodo pads this weekend and hope to be out in summit at the next FATT.

Hope to you see there..

Jeff
hey Jeff,
wow that must have been pretty scary rolling the car. thank god you didn't hurt your self! come to think of it, I was pretty lucky there were no ruts in the grass or otherwise I would have rolled over too! how easily my spin could have turned ugly if the grass was not smooth. guess it was my lucky day and a warning to me that I got my one free pass.

kori