BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #1
chopper817
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: SOLD : 2011 135i

Brake pads clanking ..... Help please....

So, I have a 135i and I just changed pads and disks in both the front and rear to BMW performance rotors and hawk hps pads. I know I put everything back correctly. I even put the factory shim or plates( what ever they are called) on the rear pads, thought I didn't see any for the front. Did I miss something? The problem is that the pads move in the calipers forward and back and make a clanking sound. I hate the sound. And it clanks when im driving over mild bumps as well. I've read that a few people have had this problem but I havnt seen a post on how they fixed the problem. Are the pads just not quite the right size?
      07-17-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

On the front OE pads the heat chiield is glued onto the backing plate. Some have said they used a small torch to loosen the heat shield from the backing plate on the front pads.

Did you use any "brake disc quiet" on the back of the brake pads(backing plates)? This acts like a glue and prevents the pads from moving in the "slots" and will stop brake pad noises. Most any auto store sells that stuff. Made by Permtex or LiqiMolly or CRC. Its quite common product.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
chopper817
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

I used the "grease" that came with the pads. I put it on all mating surfaces between the pads and the calipers
      07-17-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
chopper817
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Oh yeah, the rears move and make noise too. I used the backing plates there.
Why would they glue the plates to the front pads and not to the rear?
      07-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper817 View Post
Oh yeah, the rears move and make noise too. I used the backing plates there.
Why would they glue the plates to the front pads and not to the rear?
They're glued to the backing plates of both front and back OEM pads. Depending on how much heat you've had in them, they can just pop right off - after tracking my car the first time, it melted the glue on all four and a quick pry with a screwdriver took them right off. Absent a track day, some light torching as Dackel mentioned should get them off.

I used the OEM front shields with HP+ pads and don't get clunking up front. The rears do clunk, but I did not use the OEM shims, although in the future I will be, as I think the pads are sized to use them (contrary to what the Hawk rep claims).

Are you positive the clunking is out rear?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
chopper817
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
They're glued to the backing plates of both front and back OEM pads. Depending on how much heat you've had in them, they can just pop right off - after tracking my car the first time, it melted the glue on all four and a quick pry with a screwdriver took them right off. Absent a track day, some light torching as Dackel mentioned should get them off.

I used the OEM front shields with HP+ pads and don't get clunking up front. The rears do clunk, but I did not use the OEM shims, although in the future I will be, as I think the pads are sized to use them (contrary to what the Hawk rep claims).

Are you positive the clunking is out rear?
Yeah, it was both, the rear was just very faint though.

So today after work when I got home I grabbed my old front pads and with really no much effort the plates came off, just a little bit of glue still holding them on. I have gotten them pretty hot, I took my second trip to the nurburgring nordschleife( spelling might be off) and got them pretty warm but not warm enough to feel any real bad break fade.

Anyways, back on track.... I put the shims in and went for a little drive again and it was still there in the front. So I decided to go bed the bass in again. After that I don't hear any noise now.

Thanks for the help
      07-19-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

glad to hear you've had some positive results. i would like to stress the importance of making sure that the pads aren't moving too much in the calipers. even if they're not squealing any more, too much pad movement is currently considered to be the most likely cause of brake piston failure in these calipers, and as far as i know, hawk pads have been the offending pads in most cases, though most of these cases (again, as far as i know) failed to make use of the factory backing plate.
Appreciate 0