BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

N54 with N55 Mids OR Berk type (No DP's)

Hi all,

I need some informed advice regarding an exhaust set up.

I have an N54 135i currently with BMW PE axle-back but without Y-Pipe installed as I just can't get along with leaving the two Mid-pipe cats in there. I want to swap out the Mid-pipes for something more free flowing that'll make the exhaust louder and deeper, I don't plan on DP's at all because of extended warranty so I have two choices here in the UK.

1. N55 Mid-pipes with Y-Pipe installed
2. Custom Mid-pipes with two inline resonators similar to Berk

I can discount Berk totally as getting a set to the UK will be around $1000 seeing as our great nations have no decent trade link. There are no other exhaust brands over here.

I'm worried that getting custom resonated Mid-pipes will make no differece to the sound at all and that the resonators will muffle any additional sound increase that would have been released after Cat & silencer removal with the N55 mids.

Alternately I worry that a straight through N55 Mid section could sound like a bag of crap, I've never heard a PE on N55 (or N54 with N55 mids) using the Y-pipe.

Can anyone help me with my decision?

Cost wise, both will come in around the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

I had a quote from a UK Berk supplier for around £850 delivered for the full cat back system, I can let you have the details if you want? PM me on Babybmw mate.