BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2011, 04:59 AM   #45
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Says the Australian owner of a BMW.
i said i was a hypocrite

not a wanker
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:29 AM   #46
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
i said i was a hypocrite

not a wanker
Don't sell yourself short!

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:29 AM   #47
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
Sophisticated bling. I have a couple of Omegas and now I am horrified at the thought that I have to actually service them. I've never had any trouble with mine and one is getting on to 20 odd years old without a service.

I agree with Kenny about the accuracy. Sure they are precise and all that but they are only as accurate to the actual time as your access to the actual time is. Which is usually a mobile phone. So - sophisticated bling is all they are. I suspect that a lot of us walk around hoping someone will notice our Rolex/Omega/Jaeger-LeCoultre and think that we are special. Well I do anyway.
Gaz I think the only people who notice those sorts of watches are other people who wear those sorts of watches!

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #48
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Don't sell yourself short!
lol, i have much to learn, but i am the kind of person to notice a nice swatch when i see one, i said i like watches
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:26 AM   #49
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Just need a reminder how expensive time is... . Seriously, we wear the watches because they are special. Mine is a passed down even making it more so. However, I have been looking for one a bit less dressy.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #50
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Hahaha this thread delivers! It also reminds me that I have to go pick up that green Sub C that i have paid for. Yes MickyD, I heard ya, I will go this week! Bebe didn't say she is going to on-sell it if I didn't pick it up did she?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by qship View Post
For my 50th Bday I bought myself a second hand Omega Reduced watch. Today while in town I took it to the Omega agent who politely informed me that the "clean and service (no parts or delivery included) would be $1857 (plus GST!). It would be returne in 8-12 weeks.

Would sir like a cup of coffee?

Sir thinks he should get a fu%$#ing case of Chivas included for that!!!

This is nearly twice what I paid for the watch.

Sir quietly left the building.
I am not a watch expert like MickyD (although I buy quite a few of them), but even I know that is just crazy! As a comparison, my mum-in-law's 30 year old solid gold rolex with diamonds and ruby that an equivalent retails for north of $50k these days (yeah that is what I am told) was serviced for the first time ever 3 years ago by Rolex Australia. It was stripped bare, every rubber part and seals replaced, and each part was individually cleaned. Cost? Under $800!

Quote:
And for the record, the reason I was in town was to get my Lib GT serviced by Sti docklands (87500km) - Service cost was $230 (i supplied the oil)
You could have waived to me. I lived across the road by the river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
So - sophisticated bling is all they are. I suspect that a lot of us walk around hoping someone will notice our Rolex/Omega/Jaeger-LeCoultre and think that we are special. Well I do anyway.
Haha speak for yourself Gazz. I happen to own "several" of these sort of watches but I don't even wear a watch 99% of the time so I am certainly not hoping to be spotted with one. Ok that makes me even more stupid but anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippykaye View Post
A very expensive hobby but I do have cheaper ones I like to tinker with- disassembling them and learning how they work.
Shouldn't you get into something like RC cars or something? It would be cheaper! Hmm, I wonder how many here are into RCs? I am!

Quote:
Damn I have expensive habits!
Depemds. If you buy a couple of $10k watches a year, then I would agree (sigh). But if you buy a handful over a lifetime, it is merely you sensibly enjoying the fruits of your labour.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #51
ansch
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

So someone once asked the CEO or Rolex how's the watch business going. His reply was "I don't know"... "How do you not know!? You're the CEO of Rolex"

"Yes, but I'm not in the watch business, I'm in the luxury business"

moral of the story? Mind your own business
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #52
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
I am not a watch expert like MickyD (although I buy quite a few of them), but even I know that is just crazy! As a comparison, my mum-in-law's 30 year old solid gold rolex with diamonds and ruby that an equivalent retails for north of $50k these days (yeah that is what I am told) was serviced for the first time ever 3 years ago by Rolex Australia. It was stripped bare, every rubber part and seals replaced, and each part was individually cleaned. Cost? Under $800!

Depends. If you buy a couple of $10k watches a year, then I would agree (sigh). But if you buy a handful over a lifetime, it is merely you sensibly enjoying the fruits of your labour.
That's pretty good. What's the waiting time? Trying to get my hands on the Rolex that my Dad bastardized with a sapphire face when it originally came with an acrylic (50yo).

If you do it right, a watch hobby is like doing up classic cars except it's a lot less work and something you can use. A late friend told me why he got into restoring classic cars was because he was finding a hobby that won't cost him any money. I am glad his cars gone to his brother who also have the same hobby.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #53
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

Gazz is right they are made to be seen, and are probably a better way of letting people know you have money or aspire to have money then just going on about it all the time, so yeah they serve a purpose, i just find the industry amusing, no other industry is as devisive or preys upon your social status like the watch industry
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #54
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Have had mixed experiences with Max Schweizer, but can definitely recommend Thomas Czibula of Expert Watch Repair in Sydney at 250 Pitt Street. www.watchrepair.com.au

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #55
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep

yeah like i said no other industry comes close,
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #56
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
beemer, I do agree, but it isn't the only industry. Any luxury industry is the same. Chanel/Hermes/LV are the kings of selling things for status. Just like luxury cars and jewellery.

But everything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Rolex is probably the best at selling something so mass produced and stale to people who think it is prestigious.

I am going to buy myself a nice watch for my 30th next year, it has to be special to me, and that will last many lifetimes. I don't want it to be something that every second person has (Tag/Omega/Rolex etc). I love the idea of a craftsmen working on my watch for hours, putting every tiny piece together. I guess I may be a bit of a snob but when I know the movement is made by someone like ETA (Swatch), I feel like it isn't worth it's price. When I found out one of the IWC watches on my list to see had an ETA movement I cried a little bit inside :-p
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #57
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
beemer, I do agree, but it isn't the only industry. Any luxury industry is the same. Chanel/Hermes/LV are the kings of selling things for status. Just like luxury cars and jewellery.

But everything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Rolex is probably the best at selling something so mass produced and stale to people who think it is prestigious.

I am going to buy myself a nice watch for my 30th next year, it has to be special to me, and that will last many lifetimes. I don't want it to be something that every second person has (Tag/Omega/Rolex etc). I love the idea of a craftsmen working on my watch for hours, putting every tiny piece together. I guess I may be a bit of a snob but when I know the movement is made by someone like ETA (Swatch), I feel like it isn't worth it's price. When I found out one of the IWC watches on my list to see had an ETA movement I cried a little bit inside :-p
What's on your list BBK?
      12-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #58
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Depemds. If you buy a couple of $10k watches a year, then I would agree (sigh). But if you buy a handful over a lifetime, it is merely you sensibly enjoying the fruits of your labour.
You can't leave it at that WAY, what have you got???
      12-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #59
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
But the blister is such a special part of Rolex.
Yes I agree, I'm not a Rolex fan though. The only Rolex models I like are:
Submariner, Deep Sea SD and Air King an some of the DJs that have a simple, clean look.

There are good models from nearly every maker, particularly PAM.

I'm not a big watch fan, I find out what I need to know from Benny the Kid.

Deep Sea Sea Dweller (44 mm)

Air King (39 mm)

Explorer (39 mm)

The Air King and Explorer are nice but too small for my wrist at only 39 mm. The DSSD at 44 mm fits my wrist nicely, which I did no expect. Wearing a DSSD under a french cuff is a bit of a challenge though given the height which is what swung me to a Subby. The simple things are best after all.

Last edited by MrBlonde; 12-14-2011 at 01:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #60
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Anyone know how much it would cost to service one of these bad boys?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #61
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
What's on your list BBK?

Well I have a budget for $10k, prefer not to spend too much though...

There is a JLC with date/moonphase that I love, but it's 40mm and it feels a little small on my wrist?

Also have the Zenith El Primero - Chronomaster open, on the watch list which I love.

Open to suggestions though!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #62
BBK
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Wow! Big dollars I'm sure. Such a vintage example too, have you had it since new?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #63
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Nice! I wanted one so badly when I was a kid - they were just so groovy!
      12-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #64
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Wow! Big dollars I'm sure. Such a vintage example too, have you had it since new?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Nice! I wanted one so badly when I was a kid - they were just so groovy!
I remember back in primary school I wanted one so badly too! It's basically the 'Rolex' for primary school kids
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #65
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Well I have a budget for $10k, prefer not to spend too much though...

There is a JLC with date/moonphase that I love, but it's 40mm and it feels a little small on my wrist?

Also have the Zenith El Primero - Chronomaster open, on the watch list which I love.

Open to suggestions though!
That Zenith is really sweet, has a really sophisticated and elegant look to it.

I'm a big fan of Panerai at the moment. The Radiomir Black Seal is something you might like.

Luminor 1950 3 Day GMT is definitely my next watch, hopefully in the new year.
      12-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #66
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I remember back in primary school I wanted one so badly too! It's basically the 'Rolex' for primary school kids
Definitely! I had fantasies of cheating in maths with that thing. I remember begging and pleading - but was left with my ordinary Casio - don't even remember the name now.