BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
j330xi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp

Comfort Access-- additional benefit(s)

A "benefit" to having comfort access that I have not heard mentioned are:

I know this is frowned upon, but you can start the car COLD days, get out and LOCK the car. Then go inside while she warms up. With the base key fob, the car will stop when you try to remove the fob from the dash.

Although I have not tried it, theoretically you should not be able to lock your keys (the key fob) in the car. With the basic key, unlock the truck, set you stuff in the car, INCLUDING the fob, then close the truck.. Key is now locked in the trunk. With CA just touch the trunk to open....

Anyone think of other benefits?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

You can also do that on non-comfort access cars.

I can start my car with fob, stop car, remove key, start car again (with no key inserted), open the door and leave the car with the key in hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

You can also do this on all cars by using two keys.

this brings up a good question: any remote start options for the 1er?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
You can also do this on all cars by using two keys.

this brings up a good question: any remote start options for the 1er?

Remote start wouldn't make sense for manual transmissions, of course.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
Remote start wouldn't make sense for manual transmissions, of course.
call me stupid, but why not? i leave my car in neutral and use the parking brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
The Chad
Private
Rep
Drives: Honda S2000

I know I'm new here, but I thought, in the past, I have read on the 3-series forums (E90post I think) that with Comfort Access, if you try to lock your keys in the trunk, the trunk will not latch and stay popped open. Is that not how it works on the 1er as well?

I have had a remote start on a manual transmission before. You have to "arm" the system when you leave the car.

1. Pull up and park where you are going to park it, leave car in neutral while car is running.
2. Pull hand brake.
3. Turn off ignition (car will continue to run, however, so you have to sacrifice valet key or have bypsass).
4. Without pressing the clutch, handbrake, or anything else, climb out of car.
5. Upon shutting door, car will turn off and alarm will engage.

This whole process ensures that you did not leave your car in gear or something so it'll be safe to start. If you open your door or unlock the system at any point after that, the system will "disarm" and you won't be able to remote start it the next time, because there's no guarantee the car is the same as when the system armed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgf330xi View Post
A "benefit" to having comfort access that I have not heard mentioned are:

I know this is frowned upon, but you can start the car COLD days, get out and LOCK the car. Then go inside while she warms up. With the base key fob, the car will stop when you try to remove the fob from the dash.

Although I have not tried it, theoretically you should not be able to lock your keys (the key fob) in the car. With the basic key, unlock the truck, set you stuff in the car, INCLUDING the fob, then close the truck.. Key is now locked in the trunk. With CA just touch the trunk to open....

Anyone think of other benefits?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
call me stupid, but why not? i leave my car in neutral and use the parking brake.
You need to have the clutched depressed to start the car. I suppose there's a workaround though . . .
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
Year1of1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50

IMO comfort access doesnt do enough to warrant 500 dollars
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Get out of car. Touch top of handle. Sunroof shuts. Windows roll up. Doors & trunk lock. Pretty cool...Arrive at hot car. Press unlock on remote. Doors unlock. Keep pressing. Windows roll down. Sunroof opens. Heat escapes. Very cool...Open door. Start car. Drive away. Key in pocket. Super cool....($500?)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #10
Rx8135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOne View Post
Get out of car. Touch top of handle. Sunroof shuts. Windows roll up. Doors & trunk lock. Pretty cool...Arrive at hot car. Press unlock on remote. Doors unlock. Keep pressing. Windows roll down. Sunroof opens. Heat escapes. Very cool...Open door. Start car. Drive away. Key in pocket. Super cool....($500?)
you can do the samething in a non-comfort access car. My opinion, not worth the extra $500.
      02-07-2008, 10:13 PM   #11
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

It's an option that everyone thinks they can live without... until they've lived with it. After that, it's a must.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #12
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chad View Post
...that with Comfort Access, if you try to lock your keys in the trunk, the trunk will not latch and stay popped open. Is that not how it works on the 1er as well?
Yes.

If you lock the car, then open the boot/trunk and place the key in there and then close it, the car will flash the hazard lights quickly (about 3 times from memory) and then pop the boot/trunk open again.

Be warned, this does not work if you leave the key inside the passenger section.

You can lock the key inside the car accidentally, but you have do do the following:
- have a door other than the driver's door open
- lock the car (with the fob or comfort access)
- toss the key inside
- shut the door

Now you'll need your other key!!

Paul Martin
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #13
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

^ coudn't u do that without comfor access? ...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #14
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
^ coudn't u do that without comfor access? ...
Sure you can, but you can also lock the keys in the trunk/boot without comfort access.

Just pointing out that you can still get into trouble with comfort access, despite it preventing you from locking the keys in the trunk/boot, although you have to try pretty hard! :wink:

I just tried it as an experiment.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #15
Captain Obvious
Rep
Drives:

On the E46, I think the window/sunroof open/close sensor was IR and on the door handle. It was useless because you usually had to be within 15 feet of the car for the feature to work. You feel like a real winner standing right in front of your car holding a button while your windows slowly lower (don't open door... stops procedure, don't let go of button either).

Does Comfort Access do this via RF, and is the standard system RF or IR?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #16
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
On the E46, I think the window/sunroof open/close sensor was IR and on the door handle. It was useless because you usually had to be within 15 feet of the car for the feature to work. You feel like a real winner standing right in front of your car holding a button while your windows slowly lower (don't open door... stops procedure, don't let go of button either).

Does Comfort Access do this via RF, and is the standard system RF or IR?
No the E46 has a radio transmitting remote - there is no infrared device in the key or the car.

The range was smaller than expected partly due to the low power output of the transmitter, with its built-in rechargeable battery. The receiver is part of the rear windscreen demister (as it is for the radio). The signal booster box is in the left hand C pillar - pull it off and you'll see :biggrin:

The 1er also uses RF transmitters and the range is not much greater, with or without comfort access.

With comfort access, the fob contains a removable, non-rechargeable battery.

Without comfort access the fob contains a rechargeable Li-ion battery which recharges by induction when in the dash (just like the E46 key fobs recharge).

The 1er that I have (hatch with comfort access) has 6 RF transmitters in the car to sense the key when it is in close proximity to the car. Two for each front door (one inside, one outside) and two for the boot/trunk (one inside, one outside). This is how it can not only tell if the key is inside the car or not, but also which door you're standing at: If you stand at the driver's door (with the key) and someone tries to open the passenger door, it won't work (and vice versa).

Hope this helps.

Paul Martin
Appreciate 0