BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

High performance cars and the significant other

Quite an atypical commercial (Toyota GT86), a tad uncomfortable, but there's some truth in it: not every significant other is as enthusiastic and amused when just finding out about the choice of new car. Quite brave of Toyota for producing/releasing such commercial.

"What ? Did you just say that you ordered an orange BMW ?". No comment. Any resemblance to real persons is purely coincidental.

http://www.flabber.nl/linkdump/video...h-beauty-13185

Last edited by Artemis; 11-13-2012 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: Replaced the broken link (original link initially worked)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I agree this is a brave attempt. I bet it will work very well on the potential clients though. I am scheduled to test drive the Subaru twin in December on a local track. I am not a potential client of course, just for sake of new experiences!

Last edited by ozinaldo; 11-10-2012 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
If I'd seen that ad a few months ago, I probably would have at least test-driven an FR-S/BRZ before I bought my 135i...

So I guess the ad works.
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 1M  [0.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
Yes my significant other cried for a few hours. Lol. I still have 1M but returned the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
01:11 "moi je monte pas dedans" ha ha ha ha
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

atypical is part of the marketing textbooks. This is not. Way too gloomy, not even the second story line, at the gravel pit, triggers a glimpse of aspiration.

Just weird or pathetic that one would surprise their partner without anticipating such a negative response.

Might have considered this car if it had been available before the 1M. It's the right package, although i doubt its a real 4 seater rather then 2+2, still well done toyota/subaru on the fun/$ level.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Genius. Even if you SO doesnt react this strongly there always is the fear that they will. And if not when coming home with the new car then it'll be during the first ride along after blowing $4k on corner balanced and camber plated coilovers!

The real moral to this story is pick a good wife!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

You bought a what??!!

My SO would freak out if I bought a Toyota too!
      11-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #9
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

aaaaand that's why I don't have a wife or kids.

Nothing like doing whatever you want all the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #10
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

I'm thinking that this is an opening for prospective buyers in the obvious target group. "Hey honey, watch this ad on TV". Carefully monitor the response and perhaps approach the prospect of ownership with - "What would you do darling if I came home with one of those?"

Then act on the basis of your confidence, bravery or stupidity.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #11
LuuZ
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
01:11 "moi je monte pas dedans" ha ha ha ha
My wife said exactly the same thing when I bring my ex-997 back from Germany......
      11-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
I'm thinking that this is an opening for prospective buyers in the obvious target group. "Hey honey, watch this ad on TV". Carefully monitor the response and perhaps approach the prospect of ownership with - "What would you do darling if I came home with one of those?"
Then act on the basis of your confidence, bravery or stupidity.
If my wife would test the waters by showing this ad I would reply: "Well, I would first offer the guy some clothes and the piece of advice not to trash stones and mud on cars anymore, quit smoking mushrooms and fooling around with explosives. Subsequently I would kick him out of the house and keep his car keys while he's spending time at boot camp".
      11-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post
01:11 "moi je monte pas dedans" ["Me, I ain't getting inside"] ha ha ha ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuuZ View Post
My wife said exactly the same thing when I bring my ex-997 back from Germany......
I know a lawyer who had always drooled about a 911 but never got one because of his wife's veto (the usual reasons we all know).

His daughter told me that, at his 50th birthday, a brand new 911 unexpectedly parked on the driveway. Her father stepped out and said "It's my birthday !". Game, set and match.

It happened more than 20 years ago and the guy is currently on his third or fourth 911. Faithful to the brand and the ad slogan "Porsche. There is no substitute".

Alike the 1M: if you want it and it's no financial burden on the family budget, why not, even if it's in Valencia Orange ?
      11-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
... who had always drooled about a 911 but never got one because of his wife's veto (the usual reasons we all know). ...
+1, would be interested to see the stats on 1M owners having had their SO veto the P brand. Although personal impression: the average BMW driver is the least compassionate out there ;
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
+1, would be interested to see the stats on 1M owners having had their SO veto the P brand. Although personal impression: the average BMW driver is the least compassionate out there ;
Before the 1M, I had never bought a new car (could never rationalize the big depreciation hit one takes the day - make that minute - after the purchase). Additionally, I hate car payments and like to pay cash. My most previous purchase was an E36 M3 with 111,000 miles on it when I bought it (202,500 now - still have it).

So, when the 1M came up for grabs, I was hesitant to pull the trigger on the purchase. But it was my wife who finally convinced me to buy it. She said something about me working hard and deserving it, almost pleading that I go ahead and get it. So I wrote the check not only with her blessing, but her enthusiastic support.

There is a little more to the story, but I'll leave it at that, for now.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
Before the 1M, I had never bought a new car (could never rationalize the big depreciation hit one takes the day - make that minute - after the purchase). Additionally, I hate car payments and like to pay cash. My most previous purchase was an E36 M3 with 111,000 miles on it when I bought it (202,500 now - still have it).

So, when the 1M came up for grabs, I was hesitant to pull the trigger on the purchase. But it was my wife who finally convinced me to buy it. She said something about me working hard and deserving it, almost pleading that I go ahead and get it. So I wrote the check not only with her blessing, but her enthusiastic support.

My situation was almost identical to yours ...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

At times I'm rather regretful that I purchased my 335i, if only because I know that I could be doing other things with the money (things that would not depreciate). However, the enjoyment I get from driving it and, realizations brought about by watching videos like this, make me glad I spent the money while single. I'm not one to look for commitment but, one never knows. People have gone from being reticent to emotive, affected, love-drunk fools in a matter of months. I'm glad, right now, that I do not have any dissenting opinions in my life right now. The freedom is so wonderful.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #18
gessinc
Bimmer Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post

My situation was almost identical to yours ...
Same to me. She push me to buy it and I didn't complain.
Appreciate 0