BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
n54oner
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Moved to CA, failed smog and don't have original parts

I moved to CA recently (northern San Diego area) and since my car is from out of state, I had to get it smog tested in order to get CA plates / registration. I passed on the actual tests, but when they popped the hood they failed me on the visual because I have BMS intake and an aftermarket chargepipe and BOV.

I don't even have the factory chargepipe anymore (it blew out a hole in it driving one day so it was worthless and thrown out), and I don't think I have the stock intake anymore either. I can't afford to buy new parts (whether it be from the dealership, or carb-legal aftermarket parts) and I don't know what to do.

The DMV took my North Carolina registration card, so all I have now is a paper from the DMV saying I don't have registration until I pass smog. But I can't afford to get the parts to do so..

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? I've tried to ask around to see if there was any place that could just not look under the hood, because the test itself passed fine, it's just some of the parts aren't factory. But, no one has been able to tell me of a place like that, or really have any other suggestions on what to do.

I never expected to have this issue as I never planned on living in CA, and in NC it was totally fine to do what I did to the car. I'm just in a position now where I cannot afford to change things back to factory, and I'm without valid registration..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
Marioh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/AG 135i

I'm moving out to LA in a month but will be keeping my CO registration for the meantime. Try borrowing some stock parts from a local person. I'm sure there's a few who've upgraded parts and just have the OEM ones laying around that you can borrow to pass visual. Try here, maybe the 335 section, and Craigslist as well? Good luck!

-Mario
2008 BMW 135i 6-Speed | Alpine White | Boston Grey | ///M Sport | Premium

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
KA SHING
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 135i

Garage List
I have both the OEM intake and charge pipe, PM me if you want to use them
Appreciate 0