BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #45
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

the 135i is a GREAT "sporty car".. but that's just what it is.. it's a passenger car that happens to be extremely fun to drive and be extremely sporty. But it's still not a bona-fide sports car. It's a great car to make your morning commute or your daily routines a hundred time more fun. But still, it's not a Z4, it's not a 911, it's not even a boxster. It's a passenger car first, and a sports car second, and it's sportier than almost any passenger car I have EVER seen.... but it's still not a sports car.. and it probably won't be as fun to you as a bona-fide sports car, especially not your porsche.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #46
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

First figure out what you want to do with the car.

Having been a Porsche guy for a really long time, I have also had BMWs and Audis. I chose the 135I to replace the Boxster as my daily driver. To me it is a lot more fun to drive in commuter traffic then any of the Porsches I have had the opportunity to drive. Take the car to the track and the equation changes. The 135I will out-drag many of the Porsches; but, that is not what I do. In fact I am surprised by the focus on drag racing on this web site.

I have been fortunate to drive many fine cars on the track and there is no doubt in my mind that the Cayman S really raised the bar when it came out. Do absolutely nothing to it but adjust tire pressures and it is fast on the track. The 996 had some warts; but, the 997 is another car all together, even better. The 135I on the other hand needs a lot of work, not expensive work; but, work nonetheless... The Z06 is a great car on the track; but, the last one was better, and it is not very civilized on the street. I really love driving those cars on the track. I wish I could have them all.

It really depends on what you want the car for. I wanted a great daily driver that I could occassionally take to the track. Even the A4 was fun and more neutral then the 135. Now I need to do something about the tires and the brakes. On a 911, you can change all the brake pads and retorque your wheels in less then an hour. I don't really think that the rotors on the 135I are thick enough for the weight of the car -- the brakes have great bling when viewed from the side and they work great on the street.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #47
Russo
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Dodge Dakota Big Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
you are really on a roll, why don't you look up which manufacturer has the most victories in international sports car racing history while you are at it
:biggrin: you knew i was gonna reply

no doubt Porsche has proven their worthiness to those who follow the breed...

but those who buy a car because of today's requirements (Price, Performance, Comfort, Style, Resale, Options, etc) the past/current racing history ranks lower... Ferrari, MB, Lamborghini, Bentley, Audi, BMW, Chevrolet, Ford, Honda, etc have all won championships, but does this mean that because Porsche may have 1-2 more wins in certain areas that there efforts go unawarded? definately not!

i would be willing to bet that there are more people who buy a sports car because of the Nurburgring time, than the current F1 standings...

BLUEFAKES.COM ARE SCAMMERS, LIERS, AND CHEATERS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #48
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
i would be willing to bet that there are more people who buy a sports car because of the Nurburgring time, than the current F1 standings...
I'll take that bet. Ferrari (F1 manufacturer champ) has a lot easier time selling their wares than Dodge does (Viper ACR holds the 'Ring record for "stock" cars at the moment). Nissan isn't exactly putting a GTR in everyone's garage either, with horrific customer care, useless launch control, bad transmissions and Big Brother black boxes.

Porsche hasn't won one or two more titles than anyone else, they've won one or two more decades worth. The 911, still the same basic idea as it was in 1964, has thoroughly dominated GT3 for decades, nothing is even remotely close, in any series.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #49
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Alan - your are absolutely right about the Cayman S - it is a true track car in luxo guise.

For the rest of youse guys what haven't driven one yet; never, ever, ever pass up a chance to drive a Cayman S. It'll put a smile on your face.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #50
ky_soldier
General of The Universe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [9.00]
I sold my 996 C4 cab for the 135 cab and it was one of the best decisions I've made. The 135 is slightly more practical, and I have another sports car to get the adrenaline out with. The 135 is slightly more refined and just a better daily driver. Having said that, the 996 was awsome for its' day, but I just never really got the rear engine thing. I prefer mid engine, or even front over rear.
1946 Willys CJ-2A
2009 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti OTO
Appreciate 0