BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Talking DIY: [128] Removal of Lower Grill

This project is intended for a 128i bottom grill removal.

I Decided to go ahead with this project and remove the bottom middle grill in order to paint it gloss black to match my performance grills. I used a gloss black multi-purpose spray paint I got from Home Depot (nothing special just make sure it sticks to plastic). With little information about this project I decided to go ahead and do a DIY. Sorry for no pictures, don't have a camera on me since it broke.

This is for removing the bottom middle grill WITH OUT removing the entire front bumper!

**I believe the 2 small grills on either side need you to take off the bumper**

Estimated work time... < or =1 hour

::Tools Needed::

1) 8mm socket
2) Ratchet
3) Cleaning rags (clean after removal)
4) Light
5) Flathead screwdriver (large and small)

::Process::

1) First off raise the front of the car on stands or a lift to access the bottom 7 8mm screws holding the bumper and plastic guard.

2) Next take off the remaining 10 or so 8mm screws holding onto the plastic guard under the car. There should be 1 screw on both sides facing the tires and the rest are facing the ground. (you can identify spots where the screws are by small dips in the plastic guard) It should drop to the ground (remove) once all screws are removed.

3) After removing the large guard from underneath you should now see 2 metal support plates above held by 2 8mm screws. Remove them and then wedge out the front guard exposing the bottom of the inter-cooler. Make sure to watch out for the 2 small clips that are also holding the front guard next to the screws that were just removed. They should pop out easily with no tools.

4) Once exposing the inter-cooler use a light to identify 4 small clips on the bottom of the lower grill. Use a flat-head screwdriver to wedge and force out the clips. This could take some time as it is a tight spot. Once you get the hang of it, it is easy! Make sure to push out as you undo the clips so as to not have them re-engage in their locked position.

5) After removing the 4 bottom clips repeat the process up top. Use a smaller flat-head and wedge it up the small space and press down while pushing out. It is really hard to get to, so do not give up!

**Accessing the top clips and bottom clips can be done from underneath or... an easier method is to wedge the screwdriver in between the mesh and the bumper where each clip is and turn the screwdriver while pulling out. This should release each one and do it for all 8-10 clips.**

6) Paint or do whatever you want! You can put all the screws back and guard plates before you paint because it clips back in easily.

Attached are pictures of the process of painting the small grills on the side of the lower grill since they are attached to my fog lights and require you to remove the bumper to access and take out.

If you know how to remove the small fixtures post how! I could not figure it out since the clips break easily and are hard to take out (permanent clips?)

I started with painter tape and went around the outside trim of the small grill. After that I taped around everything near it 6 inches. Followed by placing a large brown paper with a cut out for me to get to the small grill. Then I taped the brown paper over a good portion of the side of the car. Then spray!
Attached Images

Last edited by Satalite; 12-14-2012 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Bump for a great and easy 128'er mod to match your performance grills
      12-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
UPDATE: I think you can try the method of wedging a screwdriver in between the bumper and the grill then slowly turning it till it comes free. You might not need to unscrew anything. Worked on 2-4 hard to reach clips. Just be careful not to scratch anything in the process!
I advise against this, tried to use 2 tools, generously covered in tape. No go

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
I advise against this, tried to use 2 tools, generously covered in tape. No go
Sorry to hear that. It worked on the upper clips that were almost impossible to get underneath the car for myself. Will update the original thread.
      12-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I was doing in the cold so my patience was short

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Can we do this and make brake ducts instead?
Appreciate 0