BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #23
imported_Sweeper
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
I want to drive it before ordering. And I want to do ED (gotta convince SWMBO to go to Urp though ; -).
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 10:35 PM   #24
thp
Rep
Drives: careless!

I'm waiting for the mid life update. And by then we should know if the 1M is a lost cause or the real thing. And even if I have to wait, I already convinced 2 friends to pre-order one so I can just live through them and their 1st year BMW experience. :-P

Oh.. and my current BMW is 3350 lbs, so the 1 isn't saving my any weight, but it sure does beat my 20 MPG average.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2007, 10:49 PM   #25
mlevere1988
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i; 89 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESLAASTRO View Post
That's a good point 128er......does anyone know when pricing will be out, or is this as much speculative as the pricing itself?

ya know, i'm so lathered up about this car, that if it is everything i've read about , WTF about 3-4k in price.....

food for thought: I just read an article in R&T about the Detomaso Pantera.....before emissions restrictions, The 351 Cleveland in the vehicle produced 0-60 times in the high 6s!!!!....amazing what we take for granted....The car sold at 1971 prices for just under 10k.....I can only guess that in today's $s, maybe the equivalent of $45-50K?...still, wouldnt mind having one....talk about a time capsule...that car is very "Clockwork Orange"
TESLAASTRO,
I grew up wanting a DeTomaso Pantera. I still have a plastic model that I built 20 years ago of that car. I have always wanted one. When my kids finally get out of college, I will probalby pick up one for a restoration project and rebuild it from ground up. The only think that I didn't like was the dash. It is terribly dated. That is just a dream car for now. I guess I will settle for the 135 for now. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 02:10 AM   #26
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Test drive before ordering an absolute must.

Also need to work out ED details.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 05:48 AM   #27
Dr. No
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 135i (E82)

I have just ordered mine this morning.

My 135i will be manufactured on week 48 (from November 26th to December 2nd) and I will have it in Madrid two weeks later (mid December).
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 08:09 AM   #28
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
I have just ordered mine this morning.

My 135i will be manufactured on week 48 (from November 26th to December 2nd) and I will have it in Madrid two weeks later (mid December).
I hate you. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #29
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Lips:amen to your reply to #4....but I think 5.0 is a 0-60 that will "take it to the next level" vs my G coupe...actually,how fast 25-80 mph is the figure I am most interested in, as that is real world entering I95 at full bore.....especially with the turbo, I'm looking for lack of turbo lag....all reviews and anecdotal evidence appears that this engine is completely devoid of that......by the way, have you experienced excessive brake wear and squeaking on your G?....I know the brake dust on the front wheels are pain in the a--...they replaced my front brakes under warranty maybe 8 months ago at 25k and I'm taking it in again tomorrow for oil and to check the brakes.....BTW I'm not hard on the brakes, I dont race up to lights and jam on the brakes, nor do i ride the brakes like our seniors do down here....also, what kind of tires are you using...replace stock?....I got 22k out of the original Michelins(miracle in S Fla-they use crushed sea shells in the roadway composite-the folks at tire Kingdom love it) and replaced with Yoko AVS ES100- love the look and feel of them.....
Believe it or not I am in the clear on brake dust. They changed the 05's pad composition so I have almost zero brake dust. Not to mention I have 38k miles and I just replaced my rear pads. My front still have about 40% pad left.

Lips
      09-29-2007, 08:47 AM   #30
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I happen to know BMW very well and I chose to wait also. Which hurts my plan of starting the first "unofficial" 1 club of Central Florida..
That's ok, once we get our cars we can start the second one haha.
      09-29-2007, 08:53 AM   #31
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lips View Post
That's ok, once we get our cars we can start the second one haha.
Yes we shall be the founding fathers Lips. Btw, BMW's are famous for excessive brake dust and brake wear. My dad went through 2 sets of brakes before he hit 50k a few months ago. They changed everything before his warranty ended. EVERYTHING!! I mean a new radio because he likes to blow his speakers, more insulation in his top b/c of a slight creak, new brakes and rotors. I was quite jealous...:biggrin:
      09-29-2007, 09:09 AM   #32
emm3tt
Out Driving
Rep
Drives:

1. Pricing, options, weight
2. Want to test drive first and do Spartanburg delivery
3. Pricing, pricing, pricing (and insurance)

01 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 11:23 AM   #33
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Yes we shall be the founding fathers Lips. Btw, BMW's are famous for excessive brake dust and brake wear. My dad went through 2 sets of brakes before he hit 50k a few months ago. They changed everything before his warranty ended. EVERYTHING!! I mean a new radio because he likes to blow his speakers, more insulation in his top b/c of a slight creak, new brakes and rotors. I was quite jealous...:biggrin:
Believe me I know how bad the dust is. Growing up with parents who drove BMW's I was often relegated to wheel washing duty...ended up with black hands and a hate for BMW brake dust lol.

Lips
      09-29-2007, 11:46 AM   #34
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Btw, BMW's are famous for excessive brake dust and brake wear. My dad went through 2 sets of brakes before he hit 50k a few months ago.
They are also famous for brake noise but they work so I never complain. And actually, to only go through 2 sets in ~50,000 miles is quite good. My mother usually goes through them every 12-14,000 miles. They're free so you cant complain! :roundel:
      09-29-2007, 11:51 AM   #35
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Who was it that said, "Europeans don't mind brakes that squeal as long as they stop and Americans don't mind brakes that don't stop as long as they don't squeal"? ; -)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 09:23 PM   #36
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

that's very clever atr!!!!!

hallelujah for a good warranty......i'm looking forward to one in the 135....ahhhhh, and no maintenance.......

i hate the brakes on my G......
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 10:29 PM   #37
GAL
Rep
Drives:

I agree with most, I will end up buying a 135i, I have never put down a $1000.00 for a car I not seen or driven. It's not the money, it's the principal that they want a $1000.00 just to be on a list. I will wait, there will be fall outs on the order list, I'm sure, do to pricing etc. I really don't have to be one of the first anyway. The old saying, great things come to those that wait !!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2007, 11:30 PM   #38
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
They are also famous for brake noise
You mean at very low, creeping speeds right?

I've owned my share of BMWs and except for that, have never heard a peep from the brakes (admittedly, I hardly ever use them, but, I use them enough that I'd notice!).
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 07:51 AM   #39
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I was not aware of the brakes creeping or squeaking. Never heard it on any of my parents cars.

Lips
      09-30-2007, 04:57 PM   #40
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

BMW brakes absolutely creak at very low creeping speeds - I've owned two and driven at least 10 and all did it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #41
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Can't be much worse then what I deal with on the G35. I usually have the music up pretty loud so I rarely hear it. I assume the same will be true on a BMW.

Lips
      10-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #42
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
They are also famous for brake noise but they work so I never complain. And actually, to only go through 2 sets in ~50,000 miles is quite good. My mother usually goes through them every 12-14,000 miles. They're free so you cant complain! :roundel:
Wow, she must ride the brakes!
      10-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #43
ShifterKart
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR/BB E92 M3

Quote:
Shifter:

Given that the 135 lives up to all the hype with respect to looks and performance, and assuming a 38k price point for decently equipped, can you recall a new(not new in market, i mean not used) competing vehicle that even comes close???? I really think at that price there are currently no competitors.....

I agree 100%, the 1er is creating a new niche but is very near to the current compact luxury car market (size weight, performance, and speculated price?). As many have said way too many times, this makes the pricing crucial to the success of the 1er. Something has to differentiate this car from the current listing of compact luxury cars (can't rely on a Forum of BMW enthusiasts). As interested as I am in this 1 series, I am questing what sets the 1er apart from the 3 series and makes this the car for me?

Weight - No
Size - Slightly Smaller
Performance - Unlikely
Pricing - To be seen
Design - Both are attractive cars

We have all read if the price is too high potential buyers will consider the 3 series. Probably true but the average buyer will likely consider the Japanese brands as well which have a price advantage over the 3 series (might be close to the speculated 1er price). If the Japanese companies do make a 1 series competitor, you can be sure the pricing will be below their current models, and well below the speculated 1er price. We cannot just look at the BMW line for determining price point. Outside forces will play a big role in what the successful price should be. If priced to high, BMW may have another 318i on their hands. If priced right this car will be very popular and BMW will have the lead while other companies scramble to develop a competitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2007, 03:08 PM   #44
imported_wizalex
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifter Kart View Post
I agree 100%, the 1er is creating a new niche but is very near to the current compact luxury car market (size weight, performance, and speculated price?). As many have said way too many times, this makes the pricing crucial to the success of the 1er. Something has to differentiate this car from the current listing of compact luxury cars (can't rely on a Forum of BMW enthusiasts). As interested as I am in this 1 series, I am questing what sets the 1er apart from the 3 series and makes this the car for me?

Weight - No
Size - Slightly Smaller
Performance - Unlikely
Pricing - To be seen
Design - Both are attractive cars

We have all read if the price is too high potential buyers will consider the 3 series. Probably true but the average buyer will likely consider the Japanese brands as well which have a price advantage over the 3 series (might be close to the speculated 1er price). If the Japanese companies do make a 1 series competitor, you can be sure the pricing will be below their current models, and well below the speculated 1er price. We cannot just look at the BMW line for determining price point. Outside forces will play a big role in what the successful price should be. If priced to high, BMW may have another 318i on their hands. If priced right this car will be very popular and BMW will have the lead while other companies scramble to develop a competitor.

Hey Shifter,
The above 5 criteria are not black and white. The 135i will have advantages in ALL those categories, depending on whether you are judging it by enthusiast standards or daily-driving:

Weight - current estimate is 3278lb for coupe 135i (if my recollection is correct), which is how much lighter from 335i? I don't know the corresponding number for 335i coupe but have heard 150-400lbs lighter (new M3 is 3600lbs+!!). So, even 150lbs is a pretty big advantage if you ask an enthusiast. and you also get a consequent fuel economy bump.
Size - Slightly smaller depends on how slightly. Either way that can be a huge advantage as well with a proper suspension setup.
Performance - With the above two combined, weight for sure, you get an increase in performance (same hp/less_lbs). Depends on what you call "marginal," and enthusiasts don't have such a concept; better is better, even if only 5%.
Price - 135i couple will base at 35K +/-1K compared to 335i coupe at 41k. I don't mind having the above advantages for 5k less.
Design - Completely subjective. But you're dumb if you don't like either ;-).

Clearly, if you want a daily-driver, most people wouldn't care about the above and would in fact want a bigger car for their whatever.

Thoughts? Don't mean to steal the thread...

--Alex
Appreciate 0