MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Why BMW stopped the 1M?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Not even sure what keywords to use to search... if this has been discussed please help me by posting the link.

I was told BMW had planned the 1M as a 1 year only production for the US.
However, I don't think they anticipated the success of this offering.
BMW can't even make enough of it for the US alone. The waiting list is a year long.
It's not like they've promised customers that this would be a limited edition car and charged a premium for that fact.
Why pull the plug?

Yes, conspiracy theories are welcome, as long as you show some evidence, as thin as it might be.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Short easy answers

production of the 1M is keeping them from making more X1 models.

The plant was supposed to send X1s to the US, but the US launch of the X1 has been delayed for a year because they can't make enough for Europe and the US.

The line is also going to change over to F20 production soon.

Regardless of how popular the car is, production was only intended for 1 year in the US, this was communicated from the (now former) US M brand manager Larry Koch last January.

so.. you say.." stopping production".. they say..." doing what we planned from the outset"
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Assuming the demand remained the same or even increased after all the glowing reviews, was the wait list really a year long (in the US?) talking to two BMW dealerships in the GTA, it was only a couple months.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Short easy answers

production of the 1M is keeping them from making more X1 models.

The plant was supposed to send X1s to the US, but the US launch of the X1 has been delayed for a year because they can't make enough for Europe and the US.

The line is also going to change over to F20 production soon.

Regardless of how popular the car is, production was only intended for 1 year in the US, this was communicated from the (now former) US M brand manager Larry Koch last January.

so.. you say.." stopping production".. they say..." doing what we planned from the outset"
It's not uncommon for companies to change plans to accommodate market demands. Just because the plan was 1 year production they don't have to stick to it.
The "stop 1M so we can make X1" argument would make sense only if they are sure they can sell more X1 than 1M. Given that they had a year long world wide waiting list for the 1M, that X1 better be good...

I think the switch over to F20 argument is more plausible... Sacrifice the 1M (and send it to BMW martyrdom) or build another factory for the F20 and delay production of an entire line? Easy to see.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe:) Jeep for Winter

I thought it had to do with the new cafe emission standards and the 1M not fitting in with that. Also it seemed like Dr. Segler said that this car was intended to be a limited production car..... something to go down into the history books and be an instant collectible. That can only be done with limited production.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
It's not uncommon for companies to change plans to accommodate market demands. Just because the plan was 1 year production they don't have to stick to it.
The "stop 1M so we can make X1" argument would make sense only if they are sure they can sell more X1 than 1M. Given that they had a year long world wide waiting list for the 1M, that X1 better be good...

I think the switch over to F20 argument is more plausible... Sacrifice the 1M (and send it to BMW martyrdom) or build another factory for the F20 and delay production of an entire line? Easy to see.
I agree that it is not uncommon for companies to change plans.. but in this case BMW NA has not.

the X1 is EVERYWHERE in Germany. Trust me. And they could be selling X1s by the BOATLOAD in the US as well...I am sure they have given up plenty in terms of profit in that tradeoff...

I didn't mention the fact that the 1M also was never ever intended to be on the docket as a 2012 model, because it would be under the more restrictive 2012-2016 CAFE emissions laws. I personally think CAFE rules have a lot to do with it.. but perplexingly, the Z435is and 335is will soldier on with the same motor.... although very few of those cars will be sold, compared to the demand that there would be for 1M. Also.. those cars are made in different plans, not at Leipzig. I didn't put this initially as many REJECT this.. to which I say.. there must be a reason for making the car a 2011 model in the US... while sold alongside 2012 128s and 135s that utilize the N55, and not the N54 (and more specifically, the N54T for the 1M.)

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-24-2011 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

With the switch from the N54 to N55 the 1M got the N54 which means the emissions won't pass for 2012, rendering the 1M in noncompliance. It seems as though there are several reasons for the limited production but I think this is a big one.

The R&D that went into the 1M seems to be a bad business plan for profitability but BMW knows how to make a car that brings attention to the company, even if that individual car doesn't bring a profit. Sure, they used many proven parts from the M3 but the change in body panels and configuring the proper settings (brakes, suspension, MDM, etc) isn't done over night.
      09-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe:) Jeep for Winter

It is also my understanding that it isn't individual engines that are considered, but the entire line of cars of each manufacturer. So if BMW as a whole has poor emissions/fuel economy that is bad. As a whole they have to meet certain standards. I also think that this is more of a statement car and for it to be a statement there needs to be only a few!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
With the switch from the N54 to N55 the 1M got the N54 which means the emissions won't pass for 2012, rendering the 1M in noncompliance. It seems as though there are several reasons for the limited production but I think this is a big one.

The R&D that went into the 1M seems to be a bad business plan for profitability but BMW knows how to make a car that brings attention to the company, even if that individual car doesn't bring a profit. Sure, they used many proven parts from the M3 but the change in body panels and configuring the proper settings (brakes, suspension, MDM, etc) isn't done over night.
WRT R&D... I was under the impression that the 1M was a "quick and dirty" project by Siegler. They already had the M-division massaged motor (from the M Coupe, I believe) so the R&D was just make it fit in the E8x chassis and some other minor bits like suspension tunning.

They more than made the money back, trust me.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegirl View Post
It is also my understanding that it isn't individual engines that are considered, but the entire line of cars of each manufacturer. So if BMW as a whole has poor emissions/fuel economy that is bad. As a whole they have to meet certain standards. I also think that this is more of a statement car and for it to be a statement there needs to be only a few!
exactly. the 1M is a statement car. Essentially.. it was a test market item... Can we (re) capture buyers.. in the under 50k range... can we fight back against lost market share to the Boost buggies from other companies in the compact car segment (STI, EVO MR).. Look what we can do in 18 months.... and .... by the way.. BMW M is BACK..

BMW has a new corps of younger engineers.. and they have been held back A LOT in recent years.. No Z4M, for example.. and the 1M BARELY got the green light... now they are re-energized.. not only will we have the new M5. the new M6... but a new spectrum of buyers.. (one that's been forgotten in the last decade)

If all that BMW gets from this is a HUGE group of people waiting in line for the NEXT 1M... (aka M2)... then mission accomplished.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

As far as the US is concerned it seems its not even a full year of production for the 1M, its more like a HALF year!

The car started production (worldwide) in March and early September BMW sends a note to the dealerships in the US saying that allocations are done.

WTF BMW? You want to recapture a certain market, then pissing off wannabe customers. By showing them a car that they want to buy and then making half as many as people want in not the right way to do it.

Remember it seems to be a US only thing (what ever the reason may be, emissions or other) because it seems there will be at least some 1M production in 2012 for the rest of the world.

I have personally sent a message to BMWNA on their web site explaining my feelings about it and urging them to do something about it.

If you feel the same way, I would urge to also contact BMW and let them know that you want a 1M (and not an M3, not a 135 that you have to tune yourself) and can't get one. And no, you don't want to wait 2 years for the M2 or next gen M3 either.

Let then know you're not happy!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #12
jfly77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BSM 1M

I tracked the news for this car, both official and unofficial since its rumors started. Heres my take on the whole thing.

1. There is no "waitlist" as bmw doles out based on per dealer allocation which for the 1m were based on a dealers avg annual M3 sales ( is what i heard). So the waitlist is a per dealer list that would be very difficult to aggregate into 1 meaningful datapoint.

2. Yes it was partially influenced by the new CAFE rules http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy that begin thru 2012 and ramp up quite agressively from year to year for the next several years. I see other replies referencing CAFE but nobody mentions that this mandate is a "fleet average" i.e all of the US models offered beginning in 2012 avgd together. CAFE Is not the sole reason as the 1M is only 1 number in the average.

3. BMW HQ came out and said initially that it would be 1yr only run, as was previously mentioned in a reply, but then saw the demand surpass their expectations and actually put continued production for 2012 on the table and went undecided on that for some time. The dealers didnt know how many allocations they would get for the year as HQ put off the final plans or any formal communications about it for months. Basically my guess was M division had to wait for the fleet model shift final decision (coupes to even numbers, sedans to odd), just a guess. Also in the mix were budget decisions complicating things around the Leipzig plant. Its a low capacity plant. 1M US prod capacity was set initially to 60 cars/mnth with a 10 month prod run. increasing capacity was considered but the cost didnt make sense in the current uncertainty. They ultimately decided 1 yr run, take spare allocations from other weaker markets and apply to Us prod slots upping it to ~100/mnth midway still ending dec 10th. And the 1 series will shift to 2 (for the coupes).

My personal opinion is we will see an M2 based on the 235 (some F chassis) essentially retaining the spirit of the 1M but with a new TT 4 that will be a bit lower HP but higher power to weight and certainly better mpg in line with CAFE targets. That is just my own personal deduction|opinion|prediction.

BSM 1M, HK upgrade, angel eyes blue,
AFE dual CAI.
SemperFi
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfly77 View Post
I tracked the news for this car, both official and unofficial since its rumors started. Heres my take on the whole thing.

1. There is no "waitlist" as bmw doles out based on per dealer allocation which for the 1m were based on a dealers avg annual M3 sales ( is what i heard). So the waitlist is a per dealer list that would be very difficult to aggregate into 1 meaningful datapoint.

2. Yes it was partially influenced by the new CAFE rules http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpo...e_Fuel_Economy that begin thru 2012 and ramp up quite agressively from year to year for the next several years. I see other replies referencing CAFE but nobody mentions that this mandate is a "fleet average" i.e all of the US models offered beginning in 2012 avgd together. CAFE Is not the sole reason as the 1M is only 1 number in the average.

3. BMW HQ came out and said initially that it would be 1yr only run, as was previously mentioned in a reply, but then saw the demand surpass their expectations and actually put continued production for 2012 on the table and went undecided on that for some time. The dealers didnt know how many allocations they would get for the year as HQ put off the final plans or any formal communications about it for months. Basically my guess was M division had to wait for the fleet model shift final decision (coupes to even numbers, sedans to odd), just a guess. Also in the mix were budget decisions complicating things around the Leipzig plant. Its a low capacity plant. 1M US prod capacity was set initially to 60 cars/mnth with a 10 month prod run. increasing capacity was considered but the cost didnt make sense in the current uncertainty. They ultimately decided 1 yr run, take spare allocations from other weaker markets and apply to Us prod slots upping it to ~100/mnth midway still ending dec 10th. And the 1 series will shift to 2 (for the coupes).

My personal opinion is we will see an M2 based on the 235 (some F chassis) essentially retaining the spirit of the 1M but with a new TT 4 that will be a bit lower HP but higher power to weight and certainly better mpg in line with CAFE targets. That is just my own personal deduction|opinion|prediction.

Leipzig told me that the 1M production will continue past Dec, 2011. From their email it looks like until March of 2012. I am still awaiting further confirmation though. I am expecting an email soon from Leipzig about EOP for the 1M.

Since Leipzig has a flexable mix production line... it is entirely possible that they will make the 1M along side of the X1 and new F20. Afterall... they will continue to built e82's and e88's for the next two years until the new F2x coupe comes out.

And besides... Regensburg is producing some 800 (F20) cars per day now. Btw.. Regensburg Werk is celebrating their 25th year of building BMW's this weekend! Soon (Dec, 2011) Leipzig will be cranking out F20's as well. There is some room for BMW to meet demand. We shall see.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #14
jfly77
Private
United_States
Rep

"Leipzig told me that the 1M production will continue past Dec, 2011. From their email it looks like until March of 2012. I am still awaiting further confirmation though. I am expecting an email soon from Leipzig about EOP for the 1M."

Thnx for the update Dackel, you sure those are US prod slots? All of the unfilled orders in the US Dropped from the system a couple of months ago seemingly in line with a Dec 10th stop.

AFE dual CAI.
SemperFi
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
jfly77
Private
United_States
Rep

Couple weeks ago not months. [Sry cant quote or edit trying out the new bimmerpost iphone app ]

AFE dual CAI.
SemperFi
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
"Leipzig told me that the 1M production will continue past Dec, 2011. From their email it looks like until March of 2012. I am still awaiting further confirmation though. I am expecting an email soon from Leipzig about EOP for the 1M."

Thnx for the update Dackel, you sure those are US prod slots? All of the unfilled orders in the US Dropped from the system a couple of months ago seemingly in line with a Dec 10th stop.

As soon as I know... YOU (all) will know(too)!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Less weight would be a good thing. BMW has lost sight of that mantra.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #18
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
Less weight would be a good thing. BMW has lost sight of that mantra.
it is their NEW mantra... look around.. " Efficient Dynamics. "
Expect new iterations of BMWs to weigh less than previous generations..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #19
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
it is their NEW mantra... look around.. " Efficient Dynamics. "
Expect new iterations of BMWs to weigh less than previous generations..
What mantra??? More horsepower and electronics to makeup for additional weight. The F10 5 series is a pig. The 1M should have been 150 - 200 lbs lighter than the 135. Hopefully CRT will bring forth the NEW mantra to BMW that Porsche and Audi have already embraced.
Appreciate 0