BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
CJ///M
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

So many people underestimate 135's

Its disappointing but true.. Many people profoundly underestimate our cars.

If only they knew...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
deesea
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

That's literally the reason I bought mine. Because it's ugly looking and looks slow.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Agree and its unfortunate because this is one of my favorite cars

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
That's why it's best to keep them in the dark. No point in educating them. I did "teach" a person or two but I've always lost to the is250's, C250's, 320/328/428, A4's, G37/Q50/Q60, mustang's, camaro's...the usual...

The people with the better performing cars tend to be the ones who show respect even if they have a faster/better car than I do.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #5
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesea
That's literally the reason I bought mine. Because it's ugly looking and looks slow.
I disagree, I don't think they're ugly. I actually like the look quite a bit, it's part of the reason I bought mine. And the 300 hp with a great torque curve didn't hurt....
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
CJ///M
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

I agree.. I think they are very beautiful cars and have a distinct look them. It makes them stand out.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
weeeee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
That's why it's best to keep them in the dark. No point in educating them. I did "teach" a person or two but I've always lost to the is250's, C250's, 320/328/428, A4's, G37/Q50/Q60, mustang's, camaro's...the usual...

The people with the better performing cars tend to be the ones who show respect even if they have a faster/better car than I do.
serious question: how do you lose to those models you listed?
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #8
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

One of the best parts about owning a 135i is going to car shows or meets and just talking to people about the car. ///M owners are usually really curious. They'll always be standing there, hands in their pockets as we park, ready to strike up a conversation. It's great when I get to tell them the specs of the car, especially now since it's so modified. Then I tell them you can get a nice one for $15k and they get a sour face. But then I look at their rear offsets and I get a sour face.
2011 135i M Sport 6MT LeMans Blue | Active Autowerke Gen II axle back | Berk d******* | N54 gutted mids | FuelIt Walbro 450 fuel pump | Pure Turbos Stage 2 | 3.5bar TMAP | Pure Turbos inlet pipe | BMS intake | BMS oil catch can | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | BMS JB4 w/ ISO firmware | BMS backend flash stacked on PPK | Eibach springs | Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts | cosmetic tidbits

Last edited by loesch; 12-04-2015 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #9
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeeee View Post
serious answer: don't bite completely, at least bite enough to satisfy them. Going at it with a lot of people on the road (usually with these aforementioned cars) won't stop until they win...especially when they're with a girl.

I had this bloke in his brand new is250 just started rolling next to me in the city at the 2AM. Whatever I did, he kept on pacing me and revved at me on a red light. I noticed he had his girl with him. I eventually took the bait and left him 3 cars behind before lifting. I thought he wasn't serious but I hear his car "screaming" zooming past me and then braked hard. On the second run, I purposely took the bait but purposely lost (2/3 throttle, shortshift). The lovers were laughing at me at the next light. Light turned green and they drove normally and took the soonest U-turn spot. I honestly wouldn't call this a race.

I had this C250 at 4AM on the freeway try to race me. I was cruising alone at 70mph in a 65mph zone. C250 just started tailing (I was in the middle lane and all other lanes were free) and pulled up next to me. He put his windows down signing me to do the same. I refused to race and dude just started driving circles around me (literally). I made a lane change to the right most lane to make him stop. He got in proper gear and so did I...but I. He zoomed past to confirm that he was pushing it. All along, I made it "look good" where his nose is just ahead of me. He waited for me....I figured out his game and lost the next race by a large margin only then did he stop. Again, not really a race...

Best one was this E46 330ci ZHP. I was at my volunteer work and he just got his car and gloated about it to everyone...including the part where he got a ticket because the car is "so damn fast." I'm pretty low key when it comes to what I have but this lady who carpooled with me blabbed about my "cute little blue BMW." So Mr.E46 found out it was a 1er. After a party at that volunteer place, he was revving the shit out of his car at a red light signaling me to race. I whooped him hard (because I hate his guts) but I lifted when I hit 60 mph. On the trip home at a freeway, he asked for a roll...I did, lost, and his ego is satisfied...and told the co-volunteers about his victory. I got teased about it once and I just said "well, 1 is less than 3 so 3 must be faster."

A lot of people with the C63's, M3/M4, GT500, etc. are the more respectful ones who wouldn't provoke me nor bully me.

Last edited by PopsnBurbles; 12-05-2015 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2015, 10:41 PM   #10
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX135i View Post
I disagree, I don't think they're ugly. I actually like the look quite a bit, it's part of the reason I bought mine. And the 300 hp with a great torque curve didn't hurt....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ///M View Post
I agree.. I think they are very beautiful cars and have a distinct look them. It makes them stand out.
Agree with these two. I think the 135i is a very good looking car. Always gotta turn around to get one more look when I'm walking away.
      12-04-2015, 11:55 PM   #11
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Monaco blue Metallic BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeeee View Post
serious answer: don't bite completely, at least bite enough to satisfy them. Going at it with a lot of people on the road (usually with these aforementioned cars) won't stop until they win...especially when they're with a girl.

I had this bloke in his brand new is250 just started rolling next to me in the city at the 2AM. Whatever I did, he kept on pacing me and revved at me on a red light. I noticed he had his girl with him. I eventually took the bait and left him 3 cars behind before lifting. I thought he wasn't serious but I hear his car "screaming" zooming past me and then braked hard. On the second run, I purposely took the bait but purposely lost (2/3 throttle, shortshift). The lovers were laughing at me at the next light. Light turned green and they drove normally and took the soonest U-turn spot. I honestly wouldn't call this a race.

I had this C250 at 4AM on the freeway try to race me. I was cruising alone at 70mph in a 65mph zone. C250 just started tailing (I was in the middle lane and all other lanes were free) and pulled up next to me. He put his windows down signing me to do the same. I refused to race and dude just started driving circles around me (literally). I made a lane change to the right most lane to make him stop. He got in proper gear and so did I...We made it near 100mph before I lifted. He zoomed past to confirm that he was pushing it. All along, I made it "look good" where his nose is just ahead of me. He waited for me....I figured out his game and lost the next race by a large margin only then did he stop. Again, not really a race...

Best one was this E46 330ci ZHP. I was at my volunteer work and he just got his car and gloated about it to everyone...including the part where he got a ticket because the car is "so damn fast." I'm pretty low key when it comes to what I have but this lady who carpooled with me blabbed about my "cute little blue BMW." So Mr.E46 found out it was a 1er. After a party at that volunteer place, he was revving the shit out of his car at a red light signaling me to race. I whooped him hard (because I hate his guts) but I lifted when I hit 60 mph. On the trip home at a freeway, he asked for a 50 roll...I did, lost, and his ego is satisfied...and told the co-volunteers about his victory. I got teased about it once and I just said "well, 1 is less than 3 so 3 must be faster."

A lot of people with the C63's, M3/M4, GT500, etc. are the more respectful ones who wouldn't provoke me nor bully me.
You're much kinder than I... Unfortunately where I live there's far too many kids with e46 325's, e9x 323, 325, 328, Mustangs, Celicas, Tiburans, etc.... When they Rev at me in their automatic and 2 foot "launch" their car, I can't help myself but to absolutely trounce them to the point where they won't pull up beside me at the next light...

If theyre with a girl I'll let them have their fun and pull on me by half a length or so, we've all been there before...
      12-05-2015, 12:39 AM   #12
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSCanada View Post
You're much kinder than I... Unfortunately where I live there's far too many kids with e46 325's, e9x 323, 325, 328, Mustangs, Celicas, Tiburans, etc.... When they Rev at me in their automatic and 2 foot "launch" their car, I can't help myself but to absolutely trounce them to the point where they won't pull up beside me at the next light...

If theyre with a girl I'll let them have their fun and pull on me by half a length or so, we've all been there before...
My intent is a) not to race (but I failed at that some times), b) avoid tickets and accidents, and c) ridicule themselves when they say they beat a 135i with their ____.

IDK when I'm with a girl, I don't go around racing other people...at least, not anymore. Never making that mistake again...turns out I (unintentionally) provoked our professor at the time. I got schooled lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 02:47 AM   #13
FPSCanada
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Monaco blue Metallic BMW 135i

Quote:
My intent is a) not to race (but I failed at that some times), b) avoid tickets and accidents, and c) ridicule themselves when they say they beat a 135i with their ____.

IDK when I'm with a girl, I don't go around racing other people...at least, not anymore. Never making that mistake again...turns out I (unintentionally) provoked our professor at the time. I got schooled lol.

Yeah I wont "race" unless it's late at night with no cars around... Have yet to get a ticket in my 1er too... I don't "race" with other people in the car either. Seems a bit irresponsible, and you never know if that beat looking civic has a v8...

Back in high school I had a teacher question my speed when I allegedly drove past him going a tad quick. Wasn't talking my way out of that one the next day in class Haha.
      12-05-2015, 09:02 AM   #14
gap
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I've let a few friends drive my car and they were all impressed and did not expect the
level of performance the little car has. After 7 years of gradually modifying my 135i it is finally the where I want it to be. Looks are subjective but I think it has a lot of character
and will age well.
To me the 135i is a great sporting road coupe. On the highway in traffic it's small size and power make a great tool to carve your way through traffic and be on your way.
There are plenty of other cars that are faster and better track day cars but for the road it is hard to beat the 135i.
ER CP, Forge DV, Wagner FMIC, PE, Maddad Mid, ER Sports OC, BMS OCC, RB Check Valve, AFE intake, Cobb AP3- Stage 1+ drive, BMW SS, PS Springs, Yellow Koni external, M3 Control Arms F & R, M3 Strut Brace, M3 Sub Bushing, Rouge Toe, Dinan Camber Plate and Rear Shock Mts., E93 M3 front sway bar, Mfactory Diff, Arc 8 PSS 235/40/18-265/35/18
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #15
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

If you're gonna race, race. Don't lose on purpose. What a waste of gas.

Unless it's a car I know will give a challenge or even beat me, I don't bother. Exception is when it's clearly another enthusiast that just wants some fun.
      12-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #16
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post

Unless it's a car I know will give a challenge or even beat me, I don't bother. Exception is when it's clearly another enthusiast that just wants some fun.
If it ain't 350+hp I don't even bother. Stay thirsty my friends.
      12-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #17
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post

I'd agree with the waste of gas sentiment when they were about to hit 5 bucks a gallon or anywhere past 3.50. At just below 3 bucks, I think I can waste some gas and lose a race especially if it meant having a peaceful "quiet" drive. As long as I can (on average) put 220 miles per (regular city/hwy driving), 280 (mostly highway), or 200 (mountain) tankful, I'm happy.

I've had my share of serious runs here and there. Won twice, lost twice. I personally drive hard alone: alone in my car and alone in the streets.

Last edited by PopsnBurbles; 12-05-2015 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #18
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
I'd agree with the waste of gas sentiment when they were about to hit 5 bucks a gallon or anywhere past 3.50. At just below 3 bucks, I think I can waste some gas and lose a race especially if it meant having a peaceful "quiet" drive. As long as I can (on average) put 220 miles per (regular city/hwy driving), 280 (mostly highway), or 200 (mountain) tankful, I'm happy.

I've had my share of serious runs here and there. Won twice, lost twice. I personally drive hard alone: alone in my car and alone in the streets.
Suppose I can see your logic. That said, I can't be bothered what other people do as long as they don't cause me problems. You can do circles around me for all I care as long as you don't hit your brakes in front of me or impact when I can change lanes. You can roll your windows down or honk or rev your engines. Just doesn't bother me. And you're NEVER gonna make me race if I don't want to or if it's not safe, and I won't enable someone in those situations either.

I'm right there with you on the "alone" comment though.

On another note as I'd hate to see one of our small community suffer moderation:
I advise folks to be somewhat judicious with this topic, and not be overly descriptive of their exploits on the road. Not the forum for it.
      12-06-2015, 12:30 AM   #19
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

yesterday i got a

"i don't know what a 135 is"

seriously....

JDM fanboys, yo.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 08:10 AM   #20
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
yesterday i got a

"i don't know what a 135 is"

seriously....

JDM fanboys, yo.
Thats the thing bmw's kinda all look the same ala 128i, 130i, 135i etc its not until you hit the fabled M3's or 1M most JDM boys then know what that is!

And most JDM boys have never heard of the N54!

My old manager one day said, that's a nice bmw you have is it a 318i, I wanted to bitch slap him so badly!!!! haha
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #21
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Thats the thing bmw's kinda all look the same ala 128i, 130i, 135i etc its not until you hit the fabled M3's or 1M most JDM boys then know what that is!

And most JDM boys have never heard of the N54!

My old manager one day said, that's a nice bmw you have is it a 318i, I wanted to bitch slap him so badly!!!! haha
On the plus side, their look of surprise when they get destroyed, or they hear the spool+whoosh noises is always fun.

people always think my 130 is a 120 or something too. when i tell them how much i want to sell it for they laugh until i explain it's actually not a 4cyl... makes selling it REALLY hard though lol.

Last edited by flinchy; 12-06-2015 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #22
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
On the plus side, their look of surprise when they get destroyed is always fun.

people always think my 130 is a 120 or something too. when i tell them how much i want to sell it for they laugh until i explain it's actually not a 4cyl... makes selling it REALLY hard though lol.
Those 130i go really well!

So you're not doing your N54 transplant???
Appreciate 1