BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-08-2013, 03:37 AM   #23
skyscraper_g80
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS135i View Post
If your not happy with the rear then why not try the bushings, from what I've read it sorts out that unpredictable feeling.

So what's the difference between M3 control arms vs M3 FSB For dialling out street understeer? one or both.
I don't think the FSB would dial out understeer, it would make the front roll less which may potentially contribute to more understeer.

On the other hand, the M3 lower controls arms are slightly longer than stock, which would give the front wheels slightly more negative camber (0.75 degrees if i'm not mistaken), which would aid turn-in and front end grip through cornering.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #24
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution42 View Post
I don't think the FSB would dial out understeer, it would make the front roll less which may potentially contribute to more understeer.

On the other hand, the M3 lower controls arms are slightly longer than stock, which would give the front wheels slightly more negative camber (0.75 degrees if i'm not mistaken), which would aid turn-in and front end grip through cornering.
Ok, it's actually more difficult to set up suspension which is warranty friendly and incognito.
Sure I can fork out for top shelf coilovers which I have done many times in the past, but this 135i street suspension project is a tricky one. I'm going to do it bit by bit using BMW parts so more likely will settle with M3 bushings, FSB & control arms. If I'm still not satisfied then tough I can't have the best of both worlds and expect BMW to warrant any issues I may encounter.
      04-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #25
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Quote:
If your not happy with the rear then why not try the bushings, from what I've read it sorts out that unpredictable feeling.
I hesitated because its not a small job, but recently I'm more keen to get it done.

Quote:
So what's the difference between M3 control arms vs M3 FSB For dialling out street understeer? one or both.
Its hard to answer that question directly. If only doing one thing, many people add the M3 front bar. However, in my opinion springs and dampers would be the place to start because the standard car is just too soft and floaty for my preference. If you get the Performance suspension, the kit already includes an upgraded front bar, so you may not absolutely need the M3 bar.

The M3 arms are probably the thing that makes the biggest difference in terms of reducing understeer. 1 degree of extra front negative camber makes a big difference for street driving. The stiffer bushings also change the steering feel making it more tactile and giving better feedback. If you only want more negative camber, then Dinan camber plates are a simpler, cheaper mod. On top of that I'd strongly recommend at least getting better dampers as an absolute minimum. I don't think it makes much sense to only do one mod and leaving it at that. What I did with M3 front arms and Performance suspension was a very good outcome for what I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #26
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

BMW AG made simple answer to OP question BMW Performance suspension kit (including sway bar)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #27
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

That option was mentioned on the previous page, I'm nutting out all options before I decide what to do, its been interesting to hear what others have done with their suspension in order to extract maximum street driving pleasure.
      04-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution42 View Post

I think your correct in assuming more under steer
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #29
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I've read quite a few times on this forum that it reduces understeer in our cars. The theory is that in its stock form, the 'excessive' body roll results in effective positive camber and a reduced contact patch on the outside front wheel during hard cornering. This results in understeer. By reducing this body roll it reduces the roll induced reduced grip by maintaining neutral camber during cornering and thus reduces understeer. That's the theory anyway.

Of course with the addition of more negative camber via camber plates etc it will have an effect on this theory however in reality who knows.