BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Buzz135
Private
Rep
Drives: 135

Custom Strut Tower Support for the track

I have attached some photos of a new prototype strut brace system that I have been running on my car for a while. This design started out to address several issues with using aftermarket struts and stiffer springs and also needing to adjust the camber at the track on a daily driver. The additional support at turn in was an extra and I was surprised how much of an improvement there was.

1. With the stiffer front springs and needing to reinforce the top of the strut tower.
2. Adjusting the camber frequently and at the track is a hassle because you have to remove or move the factory strut support to get at the nuts for the camber plate.
3. When adjusting the camber the strut moves around in the stock strut tower because the bolt holes in the tower are too large and this strut brace locks the strut in place and you only have to move the camber plate. No welding is needed to lock the system in place.
4. The strut brace is straight and it will not flex at the bend.
5. The bars are made of aluminum tubing and light weight.
6. The strut brace also utilizes the factory location in the fire wall to triangulate the support. No side to side or front to back movement of the strut tower
7. There are no hinges in the strut brace.
8. After installing this new strut brace there is a noticeable improvement at turn in at the track. Much quicker.
Adjustment of the camber is easy just loosen the three nuts.
9. The strut bars can be removed without having to remove the plate over the strut tower.
10. This strut brace system is easy to install using all factory attachment locations on the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

This looks very similar to the 1M brace...
      03-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Very nice work though