BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

Cross Coilovers

Has anyone had any experience with Cross Coilovers?

Call
      09-15-2008, 04:39 AM   #2
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

i started a discussion on these a long while back, call. but i think you are the only one! i have been told to sit on it till the end of october if i want them. (hey, any chance you could get your mate in japan to ship a set to me in australia?!)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Call
Call
United_States
Rep

I'll give them a call and see if it's possible and how much it will cost then be glad to get back to you via PM. If you would like to pm or email (peautry@msn.com) me your information that will be fine, too.

KK
      09-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
Call
Call
United_States
Rep

Professor, I can get them for you but I need an exact address so freight can be figured. At this point they are working on getting them shipped direct to you instead of shipping to the States & then out to Oz.

Get me your address and after the freight is figured I'll have the guy and you hook up with the totals and all the info. Hope this works out for you if you decide to go for it.

PM or email would be best.

Call
      10-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
imported_TripleM
Rep
Drives:

I am considering between the CROSS and KW CS

I like both coz they run on linear springs and come pre-assembled with matching camber plates
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

KWs are your best bet if you're looking for a more affordable price. If you're planning on taking your car tracking frequently, you need the CROSS Coilovers. All the CROSS Coilovers that we've sold were to customers that were serious track enthusiasts. They know that those are the coilovers they need, and they couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
imported_TripleM
Rep
Drives:

Cross Coilover Installed

Just installed the cross competition coilover yesterday.
Lowered the car quite a bit till almost no finger gaps

Initial feel...The car feels a lot tighter ard bends and the body roll is massively reduced. Since the car doesnt squat anymore, the acceleration improves quite dramatically. My other half who isnt well versed in auto modic and literature even tells me the car feels quicker when she drives it.

Camber is set to -2 all round for now but I will increase the front to -3 for trackdays with slight toe out. Caster is set at 6 degree.

Spring rates are 10kg and 12kg respectively. They are very firm but not jarring and I like them. Compression/rebound setting is still based on factory tuning which I am yet to play with later on.

Overall, it's a beautiful kit that works very well.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Cross makes a solid suspension setup. They are well known in the Porsche community and are just getting into the BMW scene but you really cannot go wrong with a set of their coils. I also recommend looking into KW as an alternative, we have their V2 system on our E92 335 and it's a great setup in terms of everyday use and adjustability.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

My local PCA guys really like them for their Porsche track cars, but haven't heard anything about them for BMW.

If you want to go highend, I'd do Vorshlag, or TC Kline. I'm debating between the two right now myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
Call
Call
United_States
Rep

The Cross Competitions at $2700 are high end enough! I understand two ONES in Japan have been suited up for drifting competition with them. I know I love mine.

Call
      11-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
imported_TripleM
Rep
Drives:

That US 2700 is inclusive of intallation cost?

In Spore it is much cheaper despite the appreciating Japanese YEN for the kit

I paid SGD 3500 ( ~ USD 2340 ) including GST, intallation and wheel allignment. It was cheaper a couple of months back!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #12
Call
Call
United_States
Rep

$2700 total installed then $120 full alignment...worth every single penny. And keep in mind I had these shipped direct from Japan in three days and was the first in the US to have them...about a month before anyone else.

Call
      11-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #13
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
My local PCA guys really like them for their Porsche track cars, but haven't heard anything about them for BMW.

If you want to go highend, I'd do Vorshlag, or TC Kline. I'm debating between the two right now myself.
They are just getting into the BMW scene but based on feedback from the Porsche guys and the first BMW adopters, it's a solid product.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
ocinek
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have seen these first hand and they are great quality. I will be going with one of the cheaper coilover setups in the future, but I can recommend these for a streetable high end setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #15
HighQ
Quality is everything
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: you mad

I would like to see some more reviews of CROSS.
Up to now the few who got CORSS were positive, if I remember correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #16
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

CROSS = JIC. The Cross coilovers are something more of a KW V2 with camber plates. They are only 1 way adjustable.

If you are a serious track enthusiast, go with a set of KW Clubsports. Or KW V3's with camber plates if the car will see double duty as a street/track car.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #17
imported_TripleM
Rep
Drives:

The KW CS for 1-er didnt have camber plates rite?
It's one of the reasons i went with Cross. Apart from that of course is you can choose the spring rates
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #18
Call
Call
United_States
Rep

I wonder what is meant by one way adjustment:iono: I'll have to assume Berk Tech meant something else because these Cross CO's offer just about all the adjustability one would need for dual street/track use:wink:

"More durable than factory brackets with adjustable ride height ranging from 0.5" to 2.5" drop without sacrificing the suspension travel. Made of either high grade steel or high strength aluminum.

All CROSS coilovers come with helper springs to aid in streetability of the coilovers. Also allows for a wider range of higher spring rates and for a smoother ride.

Available for all applications with 15 ways adjustability. With this feature, you are able to tune your suspension dampening up to your spec.

The Competition Series is our top of the line coilover system. It features a lightweight design with a 15 way dampening adjustable monotube damper. With its high strength and durability, the Competition Series insures that it will last through any type of driving condition. The front damper features a 40 mm piston and the rear has either a 40 or 45mm piston depending on application. The ride height adjustability is independent from the spring perch so adjusting ride height does not compromise the spring rate or rebound and compression of the damper. All coilover systems come with a cool b end linear spring that offer last precision steering and handling. Spring rates are also custom tailored to each system and driver's preference. All Competition Series coilovers include front camber adjustable pillow ball upper mounts and most rear includes pillow ball mounts depending on application. Based off of racing technology, the Competition Series Coilover is a street performance suspension, customizable for full track use.

Adjustable camber plate also included. Linear rate spring manufactured using chrome silicon metal alloy with a cool bend process to prevent sag or loss of spring rate. Each kit comes with various spring rates that are available for more of a custom set up.

This unique design features a 40mm piston with a one of a kind bumpstop design incased inside th damper. The walls of the shock casing is lined with crase so that the absorber body can easily move along inside the shock casing body. There are also two thrust bearings to protect the absorber body.

High pressure nitrogen gas filled monotube design with special stable viscosity index oil that will not be affected by wide temperature changes. Therefore, heat does not affect the performance capabilities. 40mm and 45mm pistons are used on certain applications."

Call
      11-18-2008, 03:18 AM   #19
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

The KW CS does come with camber plates with up to -3 camber adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleM View Post
The KW CS for 1-er didnt have camber plates rite?
It's one of the reasons i went with Cross. Apart from that of course is you can choose the spring rates
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 03:43 AM   #20
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Berk meant that the shock dampening has only 1 type of adjustment. High and low speed rebound, high and low speed compression all are adjusted with 1 adjustment. They cannot be adjusted independently. What this means is that when you turn the knob to adjust the shock dampening stiffer, high/low speed rebound and high/low speed compression ALL stiffen up at the same time.

KW V3's are 2 way adjustable. High/low speed compression and high/low speed rebound can be adjusted independently of each other. Basically rebound and compression adjustments (no adjustment between high/low).

Almost all of us that race our cars run KW. It's that good. We run the KW Clubsport (CS), Berk runs the KW Variant 3 and Scott/Ralph run the KW Variant 3 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
I wonder what is meant by one way adjustment:iono: I'll have to assume Berk Tech meant something else because these Cross CO's offer just about all the adjustability one would need for dual street/track use:wink:

Call
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #21
Call
Call
United_States
Rep

Fred, your explanation is just too clear:thumbup: Now I have to do some research as to the benefit of the separate adjustability of
compression/rebound for non-track dedicated 135i's. I understand any additional adjustability for race-specific is plus-worthy but I'm not so sure for the DD/T useage. At some point it must go beyond the abilities of the average street warrior who may also track a few times annually to appreciate such benefits. In some cases more is better only if used; but then that goes without saying

Call
      11-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #22
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Adjustability is always a good thing as long as you (or whoever you pay to adjust them) know what they're doing. Having rebound and compression adjustment is great even for a daily driven car because you can tune the suspension so that it still handles great yet is a very comfortable ride.

Compression adjustment is how stiff the shock compresses when loaded. Rebound adjustment is how hard the shock pushes up again. With separate adjustments, you can dial in ride comfort so that you don't sacrifice a lot of performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Fred, your explanation is just too clear:thumbup: Now I have to do some research as to the benefit of the separate adjustability of
compression/rebound for non-track dedicated 135i's. I understand any additional adjustability for race-specific is plus-worthy but I'm not so sure for the DD/T useage. At some point it must go beyond the abilities of the average street warrior who may also track a few times annually to appreciate such benefits. In some cases more is better only if used; but then that goes without saying

Call
Appreciate 0