BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #45
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedogg View Post
I recommend sticking with the leatherette and getting heated seats and power for $1500 and saving the other $1800 for options you will really use everyday like Comfort Access, Premium HiFi, etc.
I was going to get the 135i manual with sport, premium, comfort, heat, iPod/USB, Hi-fi for $42,250, but eliminating the premium but keeping the power seats lowers it to $39,945. Thats a diff of $36 a month on my payment. Or should I spend the extra $36 a month and get premium pkg. $525 or $561 a month. :iono::iono::iono:

OR $1.18 more a day.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #46
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Don't forget to add in all the extra $$ per month you'll be paying for gas when you finally get it. Can you say, $5 a gallon?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 03:14 AM   #47
rdkind62
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

For those that say there is no difference visually. There is certainly a difference. The ette does not have any seam along the side bolster and the real leather has a seam that runs full length of the bolster. Now, obviously that is only a visible difference and has nothing to do with how it feels, smells, or wears. I say get what you want based on what you like or can afford, but NEVER make a choice based on what someone tells you.
      04-23-2008, 03:49 AM   #48
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
Well all I can say is I am very glad to actually think the ette looks really nice. I was ready to spend $3300 on the premium pkg and get heated seats for another $500. I was also trying to figure out which leather I liked better, the Coral or Terra. Maybe I will just be happy with heated black ette and save big bucks. I will probably go back to Crystal Lake IL. to see that little 128i sport with the blackette again. It was crappy out today and I didn't want to keep the salesman outside too long in the light rain.

Now I must decide if I won't get the premium pkg. I was getting excited about all the other little things besides the leather. At least I have 285 days to decide,,,CRAP.
Heated leatherette. I'm sure that smells nice. Great decision
      04-23-2008, 05:40 AM   #49
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

I guess heated rubber would smell like sex. I CAN afford the leather and the gas, just trying to decide what would be the best overall. I have heard of several people on this forum getting heated condom seats. I just spend wisely and figure out everything based on a weekly spend/save system.

In many posts I gave a two thumbs down on the ette, and wanted to retract my opinion so people who own/ordered ette don't feel bad about their choice. I must decide which one I want. Or if I really want Coral or Terra. Black is kind of boring. I have had many cars with black interiors and it not only gets hot, but also shows alot of dust, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #50
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
I guess heated rubber would smell like sex.

hell yeah.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #51
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

Quote:
I guess heated rubber would smell like sex.
Hell YEAH!! They need to box that and put it as an airfreshner. "Hot Sex" the new car smell.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #52
jdlnmia
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
OMG get over yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #53
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

I didn't see a problem with ette and heat, many have ordered it. It would smell like hot rubber, not a dead hot cow.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #54
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The Leatherette in my car with heated seats has no odor at all. In fact, if the leather heats enough to make more smell, that is a sign that the leather is being degraded.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #55
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

If I coulda gotten 'ette in the color I wanted, I would have been all over it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #56
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

I am going to look at the ONLY 1 series I could find with sport seats and ette again very soon. It was raining out when I first went to see it for 30 seconds. It looked great and I need to really think about black ette or Coral with the Alpine white I want to order. I will also get heated seats with them. Either rubber or cow.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 06:30 AM   #57
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:
I am going to look at the ONLY 1 series I could find with sport seats and ette again very soon. It was raining out when I first went to see it for 30 seconds. It looked great and I need to really think about black ette or Coral with the Alpine white I want to order. I will also get heated seats with them. Either rubber or cow.
I was dead set on black ette for my AW 135, but after seeing Coral in person, I made the switch. The allure of AW and Coral is too much to pass up, IMHO.

Honestly though, heated ette isn't going to smell. People are making this too big of an issue. I was fine with the quality of the ette, they just didn't have the color I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #58
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
I was dead set on black ette for my AW 135, but after seeing Coral in person, I made the switch. The allure of AW and Coral is too much to pass up, IMHO.

Honestly though, heated ette isn't going to smell. People are making this too big of an issue. I was fine with the quality of the ette, they just didn't have the color I wanted.
I agree. Now that I have seen the quality of the ette, I must decide on the color interior I want. The cost isn't a big deal to me. I also will definitely get Alpine white, I just need to make sure the Coral(which I love now) will be loved after I get it.:iono: Many people I know look at me funny when I mention red interior. I think it looks great, just not sure if I should get Coral:iono: I am just tired of black and grey leather. The last 3 cars I had were grey or black interior. Plus black leather shows all kinds of dust/etc. Thats why I want Alpine. Looks great and LOW maint. I think Alpine and Coral will look great and easy to keep lookin great.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #59
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

There's always Terra, too. I kinda like that brown leather.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #60
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
If I coulda gotten 'ette in the color I wanted, I would have been all over it.

Ha! Me too. If I could have gotten a little darker taupe, I may have just stuck with the 'ette. But then again I like the splash of red on the doors I get with Coral.
      04-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #61
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: seeking m240i

I have a white 135 with coral and grey poplar on order. I had terra in my x3, which I loved, but a couple friends and relatives persuaded me that the red interior just 'popped' with the white. My SA told me there was a 135 convertible in white with the coral interior.....I am sold on that combo!! Not too red, if you know what I mean....and the color just made it pop. Go with the red. You won't regret it (or get tired of it....that was also a concern of mine until I saw the combo in person).
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #62
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

I saw Terra in a new 335i sport sedan today and it looked real nice. I think black is nice, but too plain. I think Alpine with Coral and either gloss black or poplar will be my choice. I went to look at the 128i with sport blackette interior again today, but it wasn't there after I called first and drove 80 miles 2 ways in the rain. CRAP. I just think I will get Coral leather, hell with the ette. Tired of trying to see it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #63
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

If you need a color other than that offered in 'ette, then you pay the price. My experience yesterday at a dealer was telling... I sat in 3 BMWs, 2 with leather, and detected no difference in aroma nor any leather smell. Both leather cars had been closed all night and were just opened in the a.m., in a hot Florida morning, for me to view them. We sat in one of them for 15 mins while all the cars in the line were being pressure washed. If there was going to be a leather aroma...

While in a 135, I asked the CA if it was in leather or 'ette; it sure wasn't apparent to me. His product knowledge was very good and he'd been selling BMWs multiple years, yet he ended up asking me to pass him the invoice sheet so he could tell. Once he knew it was leather, he asked me to look at and feel the leather and 'ette sections of the door panel so I could appreciate the difference. Leather = hard, dry feel. 'Ette = softer and more pliant. Now toss in ongoing care of the leather and it's understandable while some scratch their head at this choice.

FYI Spartanburg now has a small demo stand showing the performance of the reflective leather treatment. Two leather panels, one treated and one not, under two heat lamps. Can't leave your hand on one, the other is 30F cooler and easy on the hand. Seems a good idea if you must have leather and will be driving in the Southwest, Gulf Coast, etc.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #64
imported_Shawn
Private
Rep
Drives:

I have been seriously considering 'ette. The praise I have heard over the years for it, and the fact that I plan to keep this car for quite a number of years seems to be the way to go. Also I noticed an X3 at the auto show in Houston with tan leather seemed to take a beating. Specifically it seemed that the blue from all the jeans that sat on it transferred to the leather. So the tan leather had a tint of blue. I wonder, would the 'ette be susceptible to this phenomena? My only regret, that if I do go with the 'ette (which is likely), I will be forced to give up the interior and exterior dimming mirrors. I have had two cars with the interior dimming and love them and was looking forward to owning a car with the exterior. I have called the BMW customer service line and requested they add the separate option of the dimming mirrors. Since, I won't be getting my car until sometime in '09 there is a glimmer of hope (I know I am fooling myself) that they would add those options in the new model year.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #65
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

I'm pretty sure you can only get the self-dimming mirrors with the premium package.

Yes, blue dye will stain the leatherette seats. I've seen it on several cars, and there's no way to get rid of it. Wash your jeans before you wear them.:wink:
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #66
frimmelnojerz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
hahaha...this whole argument is retarded but that is verrrrryyy funny. good job.
Appreciate 0