BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
Apex1.0
Private
Rep
Drives: Honda S2000

Tuning options for a street and track car?

For the street I am looking for an aggressive 93 octane power tune for a FBO car. On the track I am looking for a very conservative (maybe stock) tune for the same car with consistency and power delivery being the priority.

Mods will be typical FBO: DPs, inlet pipes, charge pipe, FMIC and oil cooler.

I know it pretty much comes down to flash or piggy back tune... or both. Ideally I prefer to stick with just a flash tune and stay away from piggy backs. I want something that works seamlessly, I also don't want something on the ragged edge. I don't need to change maps on the fly, I am happy to flash for track days. I also need something that can work with catless down pipes and emissions.

Power goals would be the following:

Street: 375-400 whp
Track: 300 whp or whatever I can get that will run consistently.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Easy, the product you're after is MHD Flashtool (N54 or N55 depending on your engine).

You'll need an Android device with a USB OTG port, a OTG adapter (about $1 on eBay) and a ODBII adapter. Do a quick search of this forum and you should find a helpful thread, or I'm sure one of the members will post a link here shortly
Appreciate 2
BimmerAg425.00
AndyW667.50
      01-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #3
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Yep, MHD is what you want. Multiple maps are available as you add mods, and you can flash back to stock in 2 minutes for track days. Until you add upgraded oil coolers, the stock tune is the most aggressive you'll be able to run at the track and even then you may still hit limp mode towards the end of 20 min sessions due to high oil temps.
      01-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

Assuming you're getting an N54 car, the MHD self maps don't all have the best calibration for precise throttle control. MHD version 7 is extremely choppy and undriveable on track but version 6 linear throttle is probably the best of all in terms of control and is a relatively conservative map pack but still good for at least ~350whp.

Combined with MHD's modified electric water pump temp targets, I can get through whole sessions in 80f weather with some loss of power, but still very consistent.

Though, I will seek custom tuning for the best results, and you should too. Custom tuning is pretty inexpensive on this platform.
Elsabor67303.00
      01-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
Apex1.0
Private
Rep

So do you get canned maps from mhd, or do you need to find a tuner?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #6
Apex1.0
Private
Rep

OK so I found you can get there canned maps. However, what if you want to tune yourself? Can you create your own maps using the app?

Also, can you run this on something other than an android?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #7
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

While it's possible to make your own tune (I think you'll need a laptop and the right software, pretty sure it can't be done in the app), it doesn't sound like you have the experience needed to create a safe tune. A bad tune can pretty easily destroy your engine. I know everyone has to start somewhere, but I'd recommend staring out on something like an LS engine that you can find for a dime a dozen rather than our expensive engines if you're really interested in learning how to tune yourself. If you want a custom tune specifically made for your car and mods, Twisted Tuning and WedgePerformance are the guys to talk to.

MHD can only be run on Android. If you don't have an Android phone, lots of people just get a cheap tablet <$100 and use that
      01-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #8
Apex1.0
Private
Rep

Well I have enough experience to tune a FAST XFI speed density system on 427 Windsor. 745rwhp and it drove pretty well to.

However, that was not a from scratch tune. I have no interest in the learning curve of creating my entire custom tune. The reason I ask, was to find out if I can edit and existing file. The answer sounds like... no. There must be a pro version tuners are using to write the files and then locking them.

So basically, I can use the base MHD tunes, get a custom tune through the MHD app and I can make whatever changes are allowed in the options section.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mhd+...oyfbyPkyQB2BM:
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry for assuming you didn't have any engine tuning experience. I should have clarified that only applies to our platform. But basically no, you can't open up the off-the-shelf tunes to modify since they're locked by MHD. It makes sense since the tuner has put in many hours of work developing the tune so it would suck for people to just be able to copy and paste their work for free. I'm sure that if you get a custom tune, that you'd be able to work closely with the tuner to get it dialed in exactly how you want it though.
      01-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #10
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1.0 View Post
Well I have enough experience to tune a FAST XFI speed density system on 427 Windsor. 745rwhp and it drove pretty well to.

However, that was not a from scratch tune. I have no interest in the learning curve of creating my entire custom tune. The reason I ask, was to find out if I can edit and existing file. The answer sounds like... no. There must be a pro version tuners are using to write the files and then locking them.

So basically, I can use the base MHD tunes, get a custom tune through the MHD app and I can make whatever changes are allowed in the options section.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mhd+...oyfbyPkyQB2BM:
You can grab the public BEF bin files BMS provides on their site. They have modified fueling and timing tables, but boost is stock or zeroed (from what I understand).
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #11
JCip91
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver 135 DCT

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
If you don't need to change maps on the fly than definitely MHD. The monitor function is a huge plus too if you have a compatible tablet. Or us your phone. Either is fine.

https://wheelwell.com/joe-cipriani-iii
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #12
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Look for the maps I posted on the e90 side of this forum and use ecuflash to tweak the bins. Those old maps I posted are more for drag racing and WOT.

I run a little E85 for cooling and safety, I was around 350whp when I used to run my own track BEF maps stacked with JB4. I haven't felt the need for anything beyond the OTS MHD tune recently for the track as I'm running MHD alone without the jb4 nowadays