BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Next Gen. 1er Coupe?

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in getting a 128i, and I had originally planned to get the car this year. However, an opportunity has come up for me to use the money I was spending on the car for investment (it's safe), and get the car in 3 years. This would allow me to have some extra cash once I buy the car, plus I'm moving to the US, so I'll be able to do European delivery, get a lower price on the car (cars in Canada are more expensive), and possibly even get the 135i instead, or at least have some cash for some modifications.

Now, I'm trying to find out if I am ready to buy the car in Mid 2012, I don't want to purchase a 2012 car and have the 2013 coming out next spring to have a completely new design and features. So I'm wondering what MY you guys think the new 1er will come in? I'm guessing based on BMW's typical life cycle, and recent spyshots of next-gen 1er, the hatch should be out for 2011/2012. However, do you think the coupe will follow with the 3er's 1yr coupe delay or be redesigned on its own 6-7yr life cycle? I know anything you say will be just thoughts and speculation, but I want some people's opinions!

Thanks,

Babak
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
hubs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

My 135i is so cool, I say why wait.

Who knows what you'll be doing in 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Will this investment gain enough in value to offset the higher costs in the given time frame. Along with enough money to offset the issue of not having the car; and less value on the trade (if you have one).

Right now is a GREAT time to buy a car if you can, dealers are hurting for deals. That also needs to be taken into consideration.

Additionally, the bugs should be worked out on the 1 series (HPFP for example) and also on the 370Z's. There may be something else cool out in 3ish years?!

Alot to think about, good luck whatever you decide.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

wait for 2011 and get the motorsport edition they are coming out with!

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Hope the return on your investment is real good because it's likely that economy will be back to normal by then (we all hope) which means that the cost of a new car will also be back to normal - as opposed to now when the prices are descending to new lows.
So, you may wish to reconsider your investment in terms of whether the return exceeds the discounts on new cars. In other words, if you are getting a 10% return over 3 years you might want to guess whether the price of a new car will be 10% higher than the current lows (automakers sure hope so). Because of the excellent pricing available right now, you could easily find yourself spending relatively more in 3 years than your investment will return. This is all because of the extreme buyers market we are in.
Buy low, sell high.
      01-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in getting a 128i, and I had originally planned to get the car this year. However, an opportunity has come up for me to use the money I was spending on the car for investment (it's safe), and get the car in 3 years. This would allow me to have some extra cash once I buy the car, plus I'm moving to the US, so I'll be able to do European delivery, get a lower price on the car (cars in Canada are more expensive), and possibly even get the 135i instead, or at least have some cash for some modifications.

Now, I'm trying to find out if I am ready to buy the car in Mid 2012, I don't want to purchase a 2012 car and have the 2013 coming out next spring to have a completely new design and features. So I'm wondering what MY you guys think the new 1er will come in? I'm guessing based on BMW's typical life cycle, and recent spyshots of next-gen 1er, the hatch should be out for 2011/2012. However, do you think the coupe will follow with the 3er's 1yr coupe delay or be redesigned on its own 6-7yr life cycle? I know anything you say will be just thoughts and speculation, but I want some people's opinions!

Thanks,

Babak
I did exactly the same thing Babak. I'm 100% glad that I did it too. :smile: I live my experiences thru the fellas on 1addicts...for now. Everything seems to say a brand new coupe will be here by the end of 2011.
      01-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions!

Yes, the returns on the investments will exceed the discounts offered on cars right now. If the economy doesn't get much worse than it is right now, I'll get around 20%-30% on the investment. It seems crazy, I know, but I don't want to put people to sleep explaining the details. Let me know if you need one And yes, I'm not dreaming, the specific circumstances offer good returns.

Besides, the main point is that since I'll be moving to the US, I'll get to do European Delivery and experience Europe as well. The only thing potentially telling me to just go ahead and get the car now is if people think a new one will be out right after I buy. Even though I'm sure the current one will still be an amazing car once the new one is out, I don't want to see it on the road thinking I should have waited an extra 6 months or something.

So, anyone else think we'll have a coupe by 2011/12 or do you all think it'll take longer than that for the coupe version?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Cars are an expense, not an investment.

If you don't need to buy a car right now, don't. Invest the money. Especially if you're very confident in the investment.

There will always be a cool car for sale in the future. And we usually have plenty of warning when there's a redesign in the offing.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Alright I guess I'll do that; I can definitely use a car right now, but I can still use public transportation (I'm a student with a 1.5h commute to college). But I guess I'll just keep doing that until I move to the States.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #10
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright I guess I'll do that; I can definitely use a car right now, but I can still use public transportation (I'm a student with a 1.5h commute to college). But I guess I'll just keep doing that until I move to the States.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Well, whether you can do without a car is a good question -- especially as a commuting student. Honestly, though, if you can manage without a car for now, do so. It's almost always better to save more money now. And you seem to have a no-car plan in place.

Where in the U.S. are you planning on moving? Some places a car is an absolute necessity, others not so much.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

When I bought my 1, I save my money until I knew I could definitely afford it. I could have invested the money or paid off some other bills but I didn't.

My mindset is that I want to plan for the future and live my life today. It's not an easy thing to balance. I am glad that I purchased the car when I did. The enjoyment I gain from driving it and owning it outway any thoughts I had about waiting.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Well, whether you can do without a car is a good question -- especially as a commuting student. Honestly, though, if you can manage without a car for now, do so. It's almost always better to save more money now. And you seem to have a no-car plan in place.

Where in the U.S. are you planning on moving? Some places a car is an absolute necessity, others not so much.
I'm going to either Los Angeles or San Francisco. I haven't really seen much of San Francisco so I don't know, but I'd like to visit next year to check it out. I'll get the car a month or two after I move there though. I want to go to law school there, so either UCLA or UC Berkeley.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to either Los Angeles or San Francisco. I haven't really seen much of San Francisco so I don't know, but I'd like to visit next year to check it out. I'll get the car a month or two after I move there though. I want to go to law school there, so either UCLA or UC Berkeley.
San Francisco should be fine without a car. Los Angeles without a car would be bad -- might as well live on a farm in Iowa.

And, for the love of god, don't go to law school. Litigators are a dime a dozen. The number of attorneys I personally know who are not satisfied with their career choice is distressingly high.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #14
HighQ
Quality is everything
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: you mad

If I was intrested in a particular car (like you are with the 1 Series Coupe), I would turn away from my darling and get somethin else if I was buying at the time of the end of production/start of new model. It's a shame to buy a car that's near the end of his life cycle like it is to buy a car that hasn't seen at least a full year of production. I am sure there will be a lot of other great cars to choose from when the time has come.

Maybe you will have to buy an american car to be allowed in the USA. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 05:48 AM   #15
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I figured out long ago that I was not going to get wealthy off a paycheck so I bought a car well below my budget and invested the rest. My 135i is BMW # 5 that came out of the investment profits plus I have bought other vehicles/toys/property along the way with the profits.

I see posts here where some guy wants the sports package but can not work it into his financing since he is so close to his limit and I just shake my head.

Anyway keep your mind set and you will do well. Also read Rich Dad Poor Dad, it is pretty much what I did but the book was not around when I developed my finical plan.

And about the 2012 car you want with the profits. I never dreamed I would do so well off my investment so you may be surprised what you can get if your investment skyrockets. Also, in a few years there will most likely be other cars that interest you.
      01-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #16
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 997 C2

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2002 Mercedes ML 320  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions!

Yes, the returns on the investments will exceed the discounts offered on cars right now. If the economy doesn't get much worse than it is right now, I'll get around 20%-30% on the investment. It seems crazy, I know, but I don't want to put people to sleep explaining the details. Let me know if you need one And yes, I'm not dreaming, the specific circumstances offer good returns.

Besides, the main point is that since I'll be moving to the US, I'll get to do European Delivery and experience Europe as well. The only thing potentially telling me to just go ahead and get the car now is if people think a new one will be out right after I buy. Even though I'm sure the current one will still be an amazing car once the new one is out, I don't want to see it on the road thinking I should have waited an extra 6 months or something.

So, anyone else think we'll have a coupe by 2011/12 or do you all think it'll take longer than that for the coupe version?

Thanks again!
Do you want to manage my portfolio?

Gone: 2008 135i/2006 330i Arrived: 2006 997/Black/Sand Beige Leather/6MT/Sports Chrono Plus/19" Vorsteiner V-308s/Factory Nav/Sports Steering Wheel/Contrasting Mats/Heated Seats/Bose /V1/iPod adapter/Parrot Bluetooth/50% all around/Black "911" script/"Gundo Hack"/AWE black chrome tips/H&R adjustable front and rear sways/Rennline shift knob
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #17
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse View Post
Do you want to manage my portfolio?
Hahaha. This isn't with stocks or anything; its with real estate, and due to my circumstances the returns are much higher than what is typical with real estate investments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]

And about the 2012 car you want with the profits. I never dreamed I would do so well off my investment so you may be surprised what you can get if your investment skyrockets. Also, in a few years there will most likely be other cars that interest you.
Thanks a lot for your advice! I'll check out the book right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerBearing View Post

Maybe you will have to buy an american car to be allowed in the USA. :biggrin:
Haha; in that case I think I'll pass up the US opportunity! (just kidding)
Appreciate 0