BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Lightbulb Headlight/Xenon experts please read......

Installed the BMS Arc angel eye upgrades last week. Install was quick and easy and I was very pleased with the results for the low price of only 25.00 bucks.

After the install, I went to the car wash and cleaned up the ride. 20 seconds after I pull out of the car wash I get the adaptive headlight fault signal in the cluster. I thought that was a little wierd. About a couple minutes later I got a low beam headlight fault signal in the cluster.

Got the car home a few minutes later and tried to trouble shoot the problem. I checked all the connections inside the passenger housing to look for any connections that I may have knocked loose during the install, found nothing loose. I switched the AE H8's from the driver side to the passenger side, no change. I switched the Xenon bulbs from the driver side to the passenger side, no change. The driver side still worked and the passenger would only turn on the AE's.

I spoke to one of my local german buddies that has a friend who works at a BMW dealership. His friend told him that my problem was the ballast control must have shorted when I was washing my car possibly because I didnt seal the back of the passenger headlight cover. I thought to myself that that could have happened so I ordered a ballast from Ebay and had it shipped express.

I received the ballast 3 days later and tried installing it today when I got home from work. After removing the original ballast from the passenger headlight, I installed the new one. I put the key in the ignition and hit the start button, no change. The drivers side light functions as it should but the passenger side only turns the AE's on. I really wasn't surprised because when things happen like this they just never get fixed the way they should.

I then started thinking that I may have received a bad ballast from ebay. I then removed the drivers side ballast and installed the drivers side ballast in the passenger side and installed the one I received from ebay in to the drivers side. Key in the ignition, hit the start button. None of the lights turn on with this configuratuon. I was pretty confused at this point so I decided I would put the original drivers side ballast back in to the drivers side headlight so I would still have at least one functioning headlight. I installed everything back the way is was before I started the install today and checked to confirm the drivers side was still working. Second surprise, AE's work properly but now BOTH of my headlights dont come on.

I uninstalled both ballast to inspect them. I noticed on inside of the of both of the ballasts where they slide in and connect to the headlight housing there is a black mark where it looks like something shorted. I am guessing that there is something that is causing my passenger side headlight to short out the ballast on that side.

I have NO idea what to due at this point. If I go to BMW to have them look at it, I know they will either try and charge me the price for a complete new headlight or tell me that I need new bulbs and a ballast which I know is not the problem.

Sorry for the long thread but I wanted to be as detailed as possible to get a clear answer if there is one.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Nobody has any ideas??

Nick
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post
Nobody has any ideas??

Nick

I have been thinking about your problem. Here are my thoughts:

Maybe there is something inside the headlight(maybe another ECU or electrical connection) that completes the HID/Xeon circiut. I think one thing is clear... you have three good ballasts now! I think it is something else.

Have you check for something as simple as a fuse? Pull the glove box and take a look for sny blown fuses.

IF the fuses are good - I would then start checking the wiring diagrams. You are going need to follow the "juice" to make sure it is going to the right ECU's. Battery, headlight switch, ecu's, ballast, bulb, ect.

You might go to BMW's online service site and register for a day and download the schematics and any TSB's for the headlights.

IF all else fails... I would go visit a BMW that you normally do not go to - and bring a case of beer and start getting chummy with the shops Master Foreman.

Sorry... that is all I can think up at the moment.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I have been thinking about your problem. Here are my thoughts:

Maybe there is something inside the headlight(maybe another ECU or electrical connection) that completes the HID/Xeon circiut. I think one thing is clear... you have three good ballasts now! I think it is something else.

Have you check for something as simple as a fuse? Pull the glove box and take a look for sny blown fuses.

IF the fuses are good - I would then start checking the wiring diagrams. You are going need to follow the "juice" to make sure it is going to the right ECU's. Battery, headlight switch, ecu's, ballast, bulb, ect.

You might go to BMW's online service site and register for a day and download the schematics and any TSB's for the headlights.

IF all else fails... I would go visit a BMW that you normally do not go too - and bring a case of beer and start getting chummy with the shops Master Foreman.

Sorry... that is all I can think up at the moment.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Thanks Dack,

I have checked all the fuses and they all checked out fine. I agree with everything you wrote above except for the "three good ballast", you did mean "bad" ballast right??

I ordered another ballast ofrom ebay.de last night so I should have it in a couple days.

Dakelone, are the euro 1 series lights plug in plug in the US spec 135i. Is any coding needed? Also, is there a certain year e81/e87 that will fit e82's (i.e LCI or pre LCI??)

Thanks in advance!
-Nick
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Sorry Nick - after talking to you and re-reading your post... I now understand none of your lights(or ballasts) work. Both your headlights are out now and you have three dead ballast.

So... something on that right side ust be shorting the ballast out. I guess you could use a VOM (volt/ohm meter to make sure it is not the bulb. Measure the driver's side first for ohms. Then the right side. Humm... other than another (new) ballast... I think it must be something either in teh headlight or in that wiring. I

DOES anyone else know what controls the HID's? Power->Ballast->Bulb = LIGHT! Do the AHL ecu's do anything with controlling the XEON's???

Sorry I am not much help here, Nick.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
lol same issue..the cover on the back of the light wasnt put on correctly..your getting a new headlight! put oem bulbs back in and take it in and hope that your covered! see my post below

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ht=green+light
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemeld_135 View Post
lol same issue..the cover on the back of the light wasnt put on correctly..your getting a new headlight! put oem bulbs back in and take it in and hope that your covered! see my post below

So... a new headlamp fixed your car ??? Did you install new AE after the repair?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
yeah i put oem bulbs back in and took it to the shop and they replaced the WHOLEEEE headlamp ..he said when he pulled the xenon bulb out water just poured!! out .. and put bulbs back in but made sure i put that back cover on correctly and had no issues since
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
yeah i put oem bulbs back in and the replaced the WHOLEEEE headlamp ..he said when he pulled the xenon bulb out water just poured!! out .. and put bulbs back in but made sure i put that back cover on correctly and had no issues since

So.... sounds like there must be some way water gets into the headlamp and blows up the bulb/ballast system. Hummm...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Well I dont think it will be as easy for me as it was for you. BMW's in Germany only carry a 2 yr / 30,000 mile warranty. Soooooo, that means im OUT of warranty. What a perfect time for this to happen ayyy Looks like I will be getting a set of euro 135i lights off of ebay.de after all.

The dissapointing part of this whole thing is that it happened because I wanted to upgrade my AE's with a $25.00 set of bulbs. If I would have left them alone it would have more than likely never happened. Makes me kind of scared to ever open them up again. The sad thing is that I dont even know how I put the back cover on wrong for them to get water in there. Correct me if im wrong but the back cover shouldnt snap on both sides if its not seated correctly, right?

Nick
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Well I dont think it will be as easy for me as it was for you. BMW's in Germany only carry a 2 yr / 30,000 mile warranty. Soooooo, that means im OUT of warranty. What a perfect time for this to happen ayyy Looks like I will be getting a set of euro 135i lights off of ebay.de after all.

The dissapointing part of this whole thing is that it happened because I wanted to upgrade my AE's with a $25.00 set of bulbs. If I would have left them alone it would have more than likely never happened. Makes me kind of scared to ever open them up again. The sad thing is that I dont even know how I put the back cover on wrong for them to get water in there. Correct me if im wrong but the back cover shouldnt snap on both sides if its not seated correctly, right?

Nick
hey ya never know if it is the same issue, but it sounds like exactly what happen to mine. Wont hurt to take it in and play like you don't know anything ( ps.. don't say I took it to get washed lol )

yeah it just snaps in but at the bottom of the cover there's two bump outs on the cover that have to fit in the two pockets under the bulbs..BUT the two metal clips snapped over the cover like normal.. that's what I did wrong ..doesn't mean you did the same..
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Hi Nick,

Ok, I went by my friendly BMW dealer today. They really treat me right. I talked to the shop miester. He said inside the headlight there ARE wires. And IF you have moister in the lamp housing... this could have shorted out your ballast(ECU). And yes, while there are those footwell modules that control the adaptive(turning) feature of teh lights - it is most likely the headlight that is bad. He said you really will not know until you put a new part in. And he said there are quite a few different headlight for each model - so be sure to order the correct one for your car.

You will probably need a new Xeon bulb and headlight for the passenger side. And then go from there.

I did have the parts guys look up a EU spec headlight (clear corners). They aren't cheap at 680 euros for the Dynamic headlights(AHL). Non dynamic are less. The Ballast sell for 300 euros each! So there parts ain't cheap. Those prices were with the German 19% sales tax.

You might be best off looking on Ebay.de for a deal.

I think once you get your new ballast(2nd one) from ebay.de plug it into the driver's side and hopefully ONE of your headlamps will work. Then you will know it is your headlamp and ballast on the passenger side.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #13
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
A member on this forum is selling Euro Spec Xenon lights with bulbs and ballasts (non-adaptive) for 845$ a pair 905$ shipped to the States.

PM me if you would like more information and I can get you hooked up.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #14
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Hi Nick,

Ok, I went by my friendly BMW dealer today. They really treat me right. I talked to the shop miester. He said inside the headlight there ARE wires. And IF you have moister in the lamp housing... this could have shorted out your ballast(ECU). And yes, while there are those footwell modules that control the adaptive(turning) feature of teh lights - it is most likely the headlight that is bad. He said you really will not know until you put a new part in. And he said there are quite a few different headlight for each model - so be sure to order the correct one for your car.

You will probably need a new Xeon bulb and headlight for the passenger side. And then go from there.

I did have the parts guys look up a EU spec headlight (clear corners). They aren't cheap at 680 euros for the Dynamic headlights(AHL). Non dynamic are less. The Ballast sell for 300 euros each! So there parts ain't cheap. Those prices were with the German 19% sales tax.

You might be best off looking on Ebay.de for a deal.

I think once you get your new ballast(2nd one) from ebay.de plug it into the driver's side and hopefully ONE of your headlamps will work. Then you will know it is your headlamp and ballast on the passenger side.

Good Luck,
Dackel
Dackel,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me figure this out. I should have an update for you in a couple days. Once again thanks for going out of your way to help a local forum member!!

Nick
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #15
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

e46m3to335i

I have a question for you; how hard is it to replace the ballast? Do I have to remove the front bumper? By the way I lived in Langen for 2 years, just between Frankfurt and Darmstadt.
      03-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Hi all,

I will let Nick (e46M3to335i) give you the update. but I believe he has his headlight problems solved.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:06 AM   #17
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Headlight is now fixed. When the water got in to my headlight it shorted at the connector between the ballast and the connector of the wire that runs from the xenon bulb to the ballast. I replaced the ballast and the thick silver wire and now it works perfect. Woot woot. Thanks for all the help for everyone that tried!!

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:08 AM   #18
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
e46m3to335i

I have a question for you; how hard is it to replace the ballast? Do I have to remove the front bumper? By the way I lived in Langen for 2 years, just between Frankfurt and Darmstadt.
Yes you do have to remove the front bumper to replace the ballast, there is no way you could get to it without removing the bumper. The bumper only takes 5 minutes to remove really. Other than that, its pretty easy.

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #19
JL135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Yes you do have to remove the front bumper to replace the ballast, there is no way you could get to it without removing the bumper. The bumper only takes 5 minutes to remove really. Other than that, its pretty easy.

-Nick
My car is facing the same problem now. I need to replace the silver wire also! How would I proceed in replacing this wire? Did BMW do this for you? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #20
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL135i View Post
My car is facing the same problem now. I need to replace the silver wire also! How would I proceed in replacing this wire? Did BMW do this for you? Thanks.
- Remove the front bumper
- Remove the headlight assemble that is malfunctioning
- Remove the ballast that is attached to the headlight assembly
- Replace the silver wire

Reverse steps for re-installation.

-Nick
Appreciate 0