BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-05-2014, 12:33 AM   #89
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ‘22 Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
get on that 1M exhaust or aftermarket! PM me if you want to know exactly what needs to be done. I would say it can be done for about $1000-1500
I love my exhaust though!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:59 AM   #90
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jada07515
No steering rack staying the same as I can't find out enough info on fitting etc, plus the steering rack is 1300!
Get one from ebay uk

Will be only a few hundred at most
Please link me!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #91
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
You're out of your mind thinking nobody would buy it for more than that.
And your experience of the UK car market is what exactly.......?

Look I applaud the guy for spending what's he spending on it, it's his car, his money, his choice.

But, the simple fact is, that here in the UK such a seriously modded car will NOT be worth more than the equivillent standard car.
(and whatever the history, mileage and spec is now irrelevant given the drastic mods to it)

If he's not bothered by that fact, and the car is going to be a long term keeper, that doesn't really matter.
      01-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #92
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam
Quote:

Look I applaud the guy for spending what's he spending on it, it's his car, his money, his choice.

But, the simple fact is, that here in the UK such a seriously modded car will NOT be worth more than the equivillent standard car.
(and whatever the history, mileage and spec is now irrelevant given the drastic mods to it)

If he's not bothered by that fact, and the car is going to be a long term keeper, that doesn't really matter.
Why are we still talking about this? This is someone's build thread, not a debate on used car values. I respect your standpoint and agree that 90% of the time what you are saying is true in the US, but lets start a new thread and discuss used values for modded cars. OP is doing a lot of work on this car and is making much more than a cosmetic conversions with this build. Lets respect him.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #93
jada07515
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Thanks I know and agree partly to what your saying, the project has been a success and doubt I'll be selling it anytime soon...for now I will enjoy the car and worry about resale value when it comes to selling up, no one knows what it has cost me anyway as I have friends who did the work for me at half the price of a normal body shop
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #94
jada07515
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
Get one from ebay uk

Found a few e92 m3 steering racks but can seem to see how and if it is a straight swap? Anyone here done it
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #95
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Quote:

There will always be a buyer.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #96
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Quote:
Get one from ebay uk

Found a few e92 m3 steering racks but can seem to see how and if it is a straight swap? Anyone here done it
I know 1m and m3 are identical parts

I'll have to re-check parts in a bit but i THINK ps pumps are different 135>1M... But a pump is a pump and they go to same location, just possibly the hydraulic lines

And the tie rods are identical part numbers so they'll bolt up (all the same length/width for everything)

And the 1M subframe is same as 135
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #97
Curare86
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:

I'll have to re-check parts in a bit but i THINK ps pumps are different 135>1M... But a pump is a pump and they go to same location, just possibly the hydraulic lines

And the tie rods are identical part numbers so they'll bolt up (all the same length/width for everything)

Theres some issue with active steering though isnt there? Seem to remember a 335 to m3 steering rack conversion on n54tech that said it turns like a non-power-steering car at low speed. Handles fine once going. I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #98
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc
Quote:
Quote:

There will always be a buyer.
+1.. Obviously it doesn't add the full value, but at least what the part is worth parted out individually logically?

Also if it's well known+the build thread is available clearly for transparency, it entices the enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #99
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86
Quote:

Theres some issue with active steering though isnt there? Seem to remember a 335 to m3 steering rack conversion on n54tech that said it turns like a non-power-steering car at low speed. Handles fine once going. I think.
Well the m3/1m is non active, so if your 335/135 had active steering, something wouldn't mesh i'd assume?

I know this has been discussed/researched in detail in past threads, i cant find them at the moment though
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:57 PM   #100
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well the m3/1m is non active, so if your 335/135 had active steering, something wouldn't mesh i'd assume?

I know this has been discussed/researched in detail in past threads, i cant find them at the moment though

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=274622

sorry I'm confusing active steering and servotronic. the servotronic is the issue it seems

Last edited by Curare86; 01-05-2014 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #101
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

This thread has some info on the 1M steering rack.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=steering+rack
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #102
crex
Captain
Rep

I believe I read the power steering pump in the 1M/M3 provides more boost/assistance at low speeds. The steering would be heavier in the 135i if the M3 steering rack was swapped over and this wasn't accounted for.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #103
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
I believe I read the power steering pump in the 1M/M3 provides more boost/assistance at low speeds. The steering would be heavier in the 135i if the M3 steering rack was swapped over and this wasn't accounted for.
the power steering pumps do differ by part number. However, at the same time this sounds like a servotronic software issue to me, not something mechanical. After all, there is a retrofit part number for servotronic for the 335i...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 12:59 AM   #104
jada07515
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So it seems it's a direct fit bar unplugging the servo tronic?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:21 AM   #105
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So it seems it's a direct fit bar unplugging the servo tronic?
I'm getting a list of what parts are different

iirc, the lower steering column is 1m/m3 specific.. Whether it matters? No clue.. Would the non m one attach without issue? Or have different teeth? It would be a strange thing to change between models.

Ps pump is 1m specific, but all the lines are shared between n54 motors, so what the change is = ?..
The servotronic stuff i don't know enough about besides it's rough effect.. Or is it just higher pump pressure to cope with the quicker ratio?

Then i think just the rack itself

The upper steering rack adjustable bit is common for all e8x/e9x though.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 04:16 AM   #106
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:

iirc, the lower steering column is 1m/m3 specific.. Whether it matters? No clue.. Would the non m one attach without issue? Or have different teeth? It would be a strange thing to change between models.

Ps pump is 1m specific, but all the lines are shared between n54 motors, so what the change is = ?..
The servotronic stuff i don't know enough about besides it's rough effect.. Or is it just higher pump pressure to cope with the quicker ratio?

lol flinchy all you do is collect parts lists. when are you actually going to make your n54 swap happen
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 06:43 AM   #107
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86
Quote:

lol flinchy all you do is collect parts lists. when are you actually going to make your n54 swap happen
Cant do much without them haha

Waiting for alex@abr's holidays to end then getting the order of pistons/rods/valves/studs placed and shipped out (i think almost a month there+shipping) then machining and reassembling + a few more parts like gaskets, ac lines, clutch, baffle etc etc

Yeah it's costing a bit (lot) more than i expected, needed more parts than was immediately obvious, and had to save and hunt, but that's all a part of the game right?

In looking at this power steering stuff, i may need to get the 135i pipes/cooler if they're actually different to n52 in shape etc (can at least to check between the two in person)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #108
crex
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare86 View Post
the power steering pumps do differ by part number. However, at the same time this sounds like a servotronic software issue to me, not something mechanical. After all, there is a retrofit part number for servotronic for the 335i...
My understanding was the 135i came standard with hydraulic steering with servotronic. Active steering was an option on the 135i. "Servotronic adjusts the amount of steering assistance to suit the current speed, enhancing driver comfort by lowering the effort needed to turn the steering wheel." So in that case, you may be correct and it is just a software issue. So would we need to swap out the servotronic unit and power steering pump from the 1M. The 1M pump maybe capable of generating more assistance/ psi or it requires the 1M servotronic control unit.

I definitely want to do this if it is possible.

*Just did a look up and the 135i does not have servotronic. The 135i adjusts steering boost based on engine speed unlike servotronic which adjust steering assistance based on vehicle speed.

Last edited by crex; 01-06-2014 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: mistake
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #109
Da_Meister_22
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 & F85 X5M

Garage List
Wow great build, props!!!!

AW F10 ///M5
AW F85 X5///M
BootMode3 STG 2///Project-Gamma Intakes///ActiveAutowerke DPs///Maxton-Design Body Kit
@MeisterAutosport @RatedMClub @RatedMRally
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #110
jada07515
Second Lieutenant
Rep

well the rear is complete and fitted perfectly with inner wheel arches, just the bmwp carbon spoiler to go on, front bumper all sprayed and dry ready to go on tomorrow. i will probably be picking it up on sat as i dont want to go get it when its dark outside because i want to show it off ha ha

few mock up pics along with the lovely 1m interior - just waiting on a few centre console bits to finish the puzzle

sorry but iphone quality pics

Appreciate 0