BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Hate Rims!!Help!

Why does it take longer to clean the rims than it does to clean all other parts of car combined.?
Shoot, only takes half hour to wash and like 15 minutes for each rim!
I currently wash rims with car wash solution on rag, then get all over with a rim brush.
Sure you know after the initial process then you gotta move the car to get the areas covered by the brake calipers next.
I know not to use any chemicals on them.
Anyone have any suggestions or methods they reccommend to quicken the process?
I also beat the shit out of my knuckles and hands even with the brush.
I know from my 3 series once you let the rims go there's no comming back. Gotta keep em clean or seems they are hopelessly dirt ridden. Feel like a slave to my rims.
Thanks again for the advise.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

I use one of these on the inside of the wheel, but from the outside together with Meguiars wash..

http://www.microfiber-products-online.com/noname1.html

Reaches all the way through to the inside of the wheel.

I use it every time I was the car (once a week) and because the handle is soft plastic, it does not damage the outer parts of the wheel scrubbing back and forth. The outside of the wheel I do with a soft sponge. My wheels look like new and it takes less than 2 minutes per wheel and certainly does no damage to my hands.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
Linoleum87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 AW 135 M sport

Do you have a good sealant on your wheels? I use poorboy's world wheel sealant, and the brake dust comes off extremely easy.

Clean them up really well, put a couple of coats of sealant on them, and then you'll cut your cleaning times drastically after that.
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
225/40/18 255/35/18
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
geta brush it makes it wayyyyyy easier.
      05-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Endre
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 3.2 (321hp)

Garage List
2008 E82 120d  [10.00]
Swissvax - Autobahn! The dirt just fall off.
120d, M-sport, H&R springs,Remus Exhaust, 135I kidneys, 18"BMW performance with Toyo T1R.(summer) 17" style 207 with Michelin Xice(winter), 17" M3 replica with Toyo R888 (Track), Hardwired H/K GPS 810. SOLD! Now driving E36 M3 3.2 (321Hp)
Track and Autox
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgad View Post
Why does it take longer to clean the rims than it does to clean all other parts of car combined.?
Shoot, only takes half hour to wash and like 15 minutes for each rim!
I currently wash rims with car wash solution on rag, then get all over with a rim brush.
Sure you know after the initial process then you gotta move the car to get the areas covered by the brake calipers next.
I know not to use any chemicals on them.
Anyone have any suggestions or methods they reccommend to quicken the process?
I also beat the shit out of my knuckles and hands even with the brush.
I know from my 3 series once you let the rims go there's no comming back. Gotta keep em clean or seems they are hopelessly dirt ridden. Feel like a slave to my rims.
Thanks again for the advise.
You are correct that some regular maintenance is going to be needed to keep them looking top notch. I have two products that may help you work a little quicker. The E-Z Detail Brush helps you get into tight areas and break up contaminants. Another product that may really hep you is a wheel sealant. After you clean the wheels apply a thin coating of sealant. A product like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant will bond to the wheels and provide a clear barrier between your wheels and the environment. This helps prevent brake dust and road grime from bonding to the wheel. This makes future cleanings much easier and should save you some time.

Let me know if you have any questions about these products or anything related to detailing.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
jmcgraw013
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Cv

+1 Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant - you can practically spray off the brake dust. I also wipe the wheels off with a dry MF every couple of days between washes.

'11 135i Cabriolet
Crimson Red, CPO, Savanna Beige Lthr, High Gloss, Shadowline
DCT, Prem Pkg, Sp Pkg, Value Pkg, Sirius, Alarm, CA, 264's
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
mchaskell
Traveler
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thumbs up

AutoZone sells the Microfiber Wheel Cleaner Brush, part #AZCOCC. It runs about eight bucks and cleans great. It is the only one I found that fits between the rear caliper and rim and you can clean all the wheels in about 5 minutes.
      05-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

I've been using the brush at this link for the past 6 years on all of my rims. Since I'm a sucker for double spokes I've used it on the Type 68M (E46 SP Wheel) and Type 135M (E46 ZHP wheel).

It's really cheap ($4.95) yet pretty durable (I can go 6 months with one during 2 a week washings).

5" handle extends all the way to the back of the wheel (18" rims). Since I've been using these I only draw blood on my knuckles from the rotors when I'm not paying attention. Considering I'm OCD with my rims and it usually takes me 30 minutes to do all four that still happens every other week (my scabs have scabs).

http://www.topoftheline.com/supspokslotb.html

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I bought a microfibre wash mitt for my wheels and use my car wash. I find the mitt can get most of the areas to clean and my nuckles don't get killed. I have been keeping them waxed and find that makes a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Thanks for all the advise!!
Will def try some of you tips.
Hopefully Ill have more time now for driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
chloeelvis
Registered
Rep
Drives: cool

good advice

all of the advices are all great. i can learn too much from these good advise.
      05-26-2010, 01:13 AM   #13
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Chemical Guys is the ONLY site you need for all your washing and detailing chemicals, period. They have a wheel deep cleaner, its orange. Im too lazy to link it right now but search for it. You spray it on with the wheels wet, let it sit, itll change color as its working. I use a longer bristled brush for in between the spokes and around the inside, then a shorter bristled brush for the faces and sides. Takes me bout 1 min to wash each wheel. Then I detail it a bit after all is dry.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #14
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Is there an 'attach-it-to-a-drill' version of the E-Z Detail Brush?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
You are correct that some regular maintenance is going to be needed to keep them looking top notch. I have two products that may help you work a little quicker. The E-Z Detail Brush helps you get into tight areas and break up contaminants. Another product that may really hep you is a wheel sealant. After you clean the wheels apply a thin coating of sealant. A product like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant will bond to the wheels and provide a clear barrier between your wheels and the environment. This helps prevent brake dust and road grime from bonding to the wheel. This makes future cleanings much easier and should save you some time.

Let me know if you have any questions about these products or anything related to detailing.

Greg @ Detailed Image

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
Is there an 'attach-it-to-a-drill' version of the E-Z Detail Brush?
There are several different products that you can use with a drill. My only concern is that if you are using a drill you can be adding tons of micro-marring to the wheel. If contaminants get caught in the foam pad used with drill based products you can repeatedly grind it in to the wheel which will not look good. This is why we choose to not carry this type of product. The E-Z Detail Brush I recommended is not fool proof either but I do think it's a lot safer since you can rinse it out as you go and you don't generate nearly as much direct force on the wheel as a drill will. If you have any other questions please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #16
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Thanks Greg.

With all the knooks and crannies in my wheels my hands are exhausted by the time I've done 4 wheels. Then I get lazy and don't want to wheel-wax them. But you are probably right and I just need to tough it out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
There are several different products that you can use with a drill. My only concern is that if you are using a drill you can be adding tons of micro-marring to the wheel. If contaminants get caught in the foam pad used with drill based products you can repeatedly grind it in to the wheel which will not look good. This is why we choose to not carry this type of product. The E-Z Detail Brush I recommended is not fool proof either but I do think it's a lot safer since you can rinse it out as you go and you don't generate nearly as much direct force on the wheel as a drill will. If you have any other questions please let me know.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #17
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I use P21S and let it sit for about 15 min then blast it off with a power washer (from far away). Give a quick once over with microfiber mitts from Griots and I'm on my way.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Dood please dont go to the trouble of getting some shit for ur drill...

Here, i am less lazy today, here is my wheel cleaning setup...

Spray the wheel after u rinse it, let it sit a minute or so..
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Sticky_W...p/cld_105c.htm

Brush the outsides and whatever u can reach as well as the calipers with this..
http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-wheel-brush.html

Get in between the spokes and the insides of the rim, just move it around and twist...
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Gerbil_S..._p/acc_b01.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #19
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
Thanks Greg.

With all the knooks and crannies in my wheels my hands are exhausted by the time I've done 4 wheels. Then I get lazy and don't want to wheel-wax them. But you are probably right and I just need to tough it out....
I also suggest checking out the:
DI Accessories E-Z Detail Brush

Full Size Price $21.99
Mini Size Price $14.99

It definitely helps clean the wheels quicker. Also if you want a faster way to apply durable protection I highly recommend the Optimum (OPT) Opti-Seal.You buff on this protection and it dries clear so there is no removal necessary. I use it on my wheels, glass, paint, etc. It's the fastest way to get solid protection by far.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

I agree with what everyone has suggested:

-sealant after a perfect clean
-don't wait too long between cleans - a gentle wipe every few days
-I like P21s Wheel Cleaner (Gel Version) - cost a bit more, but works well and is
less harmful
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0