BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #23
FleaDog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I am not surprised at all. In my experience, when you're around folks who earn $500K+, cars and keeping up with the jones' are one of the least of their worries.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #24
mprhead5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleaDog View Post
I am not surprised at all. In my experience, when you're around folks who earn $500K+, cars and keeping up with the jones' are one of the least of their worries.
true.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #25
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

I have had to visit the state of Arkansas many, many times.

My advise to you?...

Get the hell out of Arkansas!
But after reading your post, please don't come to California... LOL. :wink:
      04-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #26
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #27
thesmokingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

wow bet this thread didn't turn out the way you had hoped huh. Just wanted a little support and now look what you got

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #28
GT3
Track addict
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post

you need people to consistantly tell you what a great car you have?

you have a beast of a car...enjoy it and stop worrying about others...

just my 0.02
Amen!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #29
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymond View Post
So, I live in an area where car enthusiasts are about as rare as beach front property in Arkansas. That being said the area of Arkansas I live in is very affluent for Arkansas (Wal-Mart, Tyson, Suppliers to Wal-Mart and the University of Arkansas) and people have nice cars. This area is without a doubt the biggest bunch of nice cars per capita without knowing or caring about cars that I have ever been too.

With that being said nobody really notices my car. The only time people have ever asked about my new car is in Fayetteville, where the college kids know what it is and ask things about it.

So – anytime, and I mean ANYTIME I am near any “nice car” known for performance in this area…I get a strong desire to drop them like a bag of dirt, (within as much of the law possible of course) stoplights, corners, basically wherever there car will be exploited. I have been waiting for a long time for the 1 to come to the US, and living in an area where nobody has a clue to appreciate what I do makes me want to rub my 1 all over there face at every chance I so desire.

To each his own of course, and I understand why people would not want the 1 series for a multitude of reasons. I love this car so far, and rubbing it in people’s faces whenever I choose has been a pretty fun thing for me in this sad car area.

Thanks for listening! I needed to have this rant. :smile:
Hmmm...not much a rant, downright disappointing. I was looking forward to a breathless diatribe followed by dozens of heated, disapproving, condescending responses. Oh well, guess I'll look elsewhere for some entertainment.:wink:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #30
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
I have had to visit the state of Arkansas many, many times.

My advise to you?...

Get the hell out of Arkansas!
But after reading your post, please don't come to California... LOL. :wink:
The job economy is WAAAAYYYYY to good here. Or I would.

Yeah. Thanks for suggesting I couldn't live in your great state that will break off into the ocean in the next 30 jahre.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #31
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmokingone View Post
wow bet this thread didn't turn out the way you had hoped huh. Just wanted a little support and now look what you got
It didn't? I got off my chest what I needed to. And then everyone had their own take, it's called an internet forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #32
thesmokingone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
It didn't? I got off my chest what I needed to. And then everyone had their own take, it's called an internet forum.
ha yea my bad then, your right

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #33
GT3
Track addict
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surname View Post
Hmmm...not much a rant, downright disappointing. I was looking forward to a breathless diatribe followed by dozens of heated, disapproving, condescending responses.
LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #34
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
...nobody has a clue to appreciate what I do...
Please, do tell. What do you do? I really, really want to know. :iono:
      04-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #35
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:

Yeah. Thanks for suggesting I couldn't live in your great state that will break off into the ocean in the next 30 jahre.
Impossible...the fault is of the lateral variety.
      04-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #36
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Driver View Post
Please, do tell. What do you do? I really, really want to know. :iono:
To appreciate what i do - As in appreciating the 1 more than 99.99% :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #37
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I wish I get that here. I dont want people to know what car I have. I am always afraid of leaving the car unattended for long at public parking. Who knows what kind of ahole will want to key it.
      04-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #38
Dan203
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprhead5 View Post
apperantly once you can afford a bmw, racing from light to light once in a while is a cardnal sin.
Hell that's one of the main reasons I bought this car. I love stop light races. Especially against Mustangs, which seem to be everywhere.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #39
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:

Did you already forget about your tornados this season? California is 5th largest economy in the world. How 'bout Arkansas? Sure, job growth is good there... it's always good when you start from nothing. Average real estate values there?... near worthless compared to most states. If you have a skill, you can escape Razorback country while you still can.

BTW, largest earthquake in history was in Arkansas area... the New Madrid fault!!
      04-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #40
happywalmartcustomer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
To appreciate what i do - As in appreciating the 1 more than 99.99% :thumbup:
You might want to work on being a little more precise in your post so you don't have to clarify responses down the road. Things like "without knowing or caring about cars that I have ever been too," "at every chance I so desire," and "sad car area."

Like the former poster, I thought you were talking about your career when you said "appreciate what I do."

Similarly, given that you say you aren't street racing I'm confused what you're implying with "rubbing it in people’s faces whenever I choose."
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #41
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywalmartcustomer View Post
You might want to work on being a little more precise in your post so you don't have to clarify responses down the road. Things like "without knowing or caring about cars that I have ever been too," "at every chance I so desire," and "sad car area."

Like the former poster, I thought you were talking about your career when you said "appreciate what I do."

Similarly, given that you say you aren't street racing I'm confused what you're implying with "rubbing it in people’s faces whenever I choose."

Point taken, I was emotional and hot and bothered when I first wrote it as I am passionate about my new bimm. :wub:
Holla
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #42
ansun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8i 135i

Crazy southern folks with their crazy southern weather
Appreciate 0