BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Question Was he blowing sunshine up my . . .

I'm one of those trogledytes that wander over to the local football stadium, drink beer, eat raw meat and watch overpaid professional athletes hit each other. (I'm pretty sure now Sedona Red will be a similar color to the Chiefs' home jerseys ; -)

In the parking lot after the game some of the denizens of the ladder right below us on the evolutionary scale were doing beer bong hits next to our parking spot and up pulls a 335i with Nebraska plates.

So I wander over to talk to the owner (the guy I saw driving the car) and found out he was a salesman for an Omaha dealership (the owner was the passenger when I saw it pull up). I told him it was a nice car plus a little more small talk and mentioned that I was interested in the 135i.

He went into 'Joe Isuzu' mode instantly. Told me I needed to get on the waiting list as they expected less than 3 allocated to their dealership a month (hmmm - I believe this was one of two dealerships in Omaha).

(Oh and here's a link to a Joe Isuzu add: http://video.aol.com/video-detail/is...uzu/3285928522 )

He also told me he drove a 135 in Chicago. I was prepared to quiz him on a number of things but it was painfully evident he didn't know low speed understeer from lift throttle oversteer, what a shame.

But as the title of the post explains: Was he trying to blow sunshine up my butt? Did he really get to drive the 135i?

Paging Irv Robinson: Irv have you had a turn behind the wheel of the 135i?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
stevearmstrong
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14 f22 M235i, 07 e92 335i

a dealer i was talking to in OH said he attended a training event in chicago where they showcased the 135. he said he did not get a chance to drive it though.

i guess it's possible that some of them drove it but doubtful
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Told me I needed to get on the waiting list as they expected less than 3 allocated to their dealership a month (hmmm - I believe this was one of two dealerships in Omaha).
i doubt that the 135i will be a volume-limited model. has anyone else heard what dealer allocations are supposed to be like?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32 View Post
i doubt that the 135i will be a volume-limited model. has anyone else heard what dealer allocations are supposed to be like?
yes very limited in the beginning
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
stevearmstrong
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14 f22 M235i, 07 e92 335i

the two dealers i spoke with said anywhere from 4-7 a month.

this was in line with previous allocations for new vehicles...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

I don't know the reputation of the dealership this guy was from - but based on what I saw of him I wouldn't do business with them. I don't know what their monthly sales are either (which could dictate their allocation).

I didn't get any vibes that this guy was telling me the truth and doubt seriously that he got a drive. But we know the car was at these Center events and I just wonder if any Center employees got some seat time.

I'll leave the name of the dealership out of it for the sake of internet etiquitte. However, Caveat Emptor and all that . . . ; -)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
imported_tdc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

NO ONE got to drive the 135i during the BMW Experience course.

This guy is full of it.

Plus, allocation for vehicles all depends on previous sales so if they are limited to only 3 then that means they can't sell cars for diddly-squat.
      09-23-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
NO ONE got to drive the 135i during the BMW Experience course.

This guy is full of it.

Plus, allocation for vehicles all depends on previous sales so if they are limited to only 3 then that means they can't sell cars for diddly-squat.
Well - that ensures that if I see anything from that dealership, I'll RUN AWAY ; -) Thanks tdc!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I can't speak for Irv, but my sales guy is at the same dealership with Irv, and has never mentioned the car being in Chicago. I was told he saw it in Florida.
      09-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #10
imported_tdc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

The BMW Experience was held nationwide in various regional locations.

It began in S. Florida in Miami the second week of June but it tours around the country.

Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, and Philadelphia were the six cities for the 2007 BMW Experience tour.

So while it is possible this guy attended the Chicago event, they still did not let anyone DRIVE it.
      09-23-2007, 11:01 PM   #11
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything in my garage

Garage List
Well, since there is only one dealership in Omaha (not two) and they have the best deals you will likely find in most of this country, you are missing out. I would have to say that sales staff at any dealership are not the ones that you want to deal with anyway, it is the sales managers, and that dealership has the best around. I personally drive past four BMW dealers (and 4 hours drive time) to do business with them and laugh at all the people who get raped on pricing and poor service on these message boards.

That said, stay away and leave the best deals to the rest of us who know better.:smile:
      09-24-2007, 03:33 AM   #12
IrvRobinson2
Banned
Rep
Drives:

the car was at the Chicago BMW Experience Event, but...like everyone else said, no one was allowed to drive it. I was supposed to go but I was really busy those days. As far as I know, there is no 135i in Chicago right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 06:51 AM   #13
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post
the car was at the Chicago BMW Experience Event, but...like everyone else said, no one was allowed to drive it. I was supposed to go but I was really busy those days. As far as I know, there is no 135i in Chicago right now.
Thanks Irv (and everyone who's chimed in).

It's a shame dealers get personnel like the guy I talked to yesterday, working for them. Again I was leary of this guy from the beginning of our conversation. He also seemed to want to exercise total control over answers to my questions. As an example, I asked the owner of the car if he had any issues with oil temp, and the salesman answered before the owner could speak.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 06:55 AM   #14
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Well, since there is only one dealership in Omaha (not two) and they have the best deals you will likely find in most of this country, you are missing out. I would have to say that sales staff at any dealership are not the ones that you want to deal with anyway, it is the sales managers, and that dealership has the best around. I personally drive past four BMW dealers (and 4 hours drive time) to do business with them and laugh at all the people who get raped on pricing and poor service on these message boards.

That said, stay away and leave the best deals to the rest of us who know better.:smile:
One post to your name and it's this one, praising a dealership to high heaven? Am I the only one who finds this suspicious?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 08:20 AM   #15
mlevere1988
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i; 89 325is

WolfPack,

Where in Iowa are you from?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #16
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post

Could you be any more obvious?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #17
BtheMoneW
Private
Rep
Drives: MKIV 1.8T

Sounds like the guy was trying to excite you and "sell you" on it hoping to earn your business. As for the driving(:bs, I know a sales guy at my local bmw dealer who attended the event...nobody got to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #18
TN_1er
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, the CA at my dealer went to the Dallas event and no one got to drive it....hell, they had to put their cameras and phones in a box before they could even see the thing to prevent people from taking pictures of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #19
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Sounds like this guy knew as much as a guy I spoke to on the weekend.

It was a salesguy from a Mitsubishi dealership, and when the wife mentioned how I was looking at the 128 he began telling us how he was "getting the first 135 that comes in"

Of course then he went to say how the price is supposed to be 35k (cdn) for a 135 and 28k for a 128...and how he's friends with the manager at the BMW dealership and blah blah blah...until he got to saying how "BMW is AFRAID to bring the 1-series to N/A, because they think it will ruin their reputation here, and blah blah blah...":bs:

The whole I just sat back and smirked at how retarded this guy was being by trying to act like he knew everything about it.

Of course, that was the same guy that tried telling us that an Outlander would get 36-37 mpg HWY....when the EPA rating on the sticker was 33...which means you'd be lucky to actually see 26-27 on the hwy...:bs:

I can't wait till he gets a call and finds out that his $35k 135 is actually 40k+...

EDIT: I forgot to mention, according to that guy BMW has a kit for the 335 coming out that will bump it to 550hp... and that it costs 12 g;s, but won't void warranty... my thoughts: ":bs:"
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #20
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khobin~ View Post
EDIT: I forgot to mention, according to that guy BMW has a kit for the 335 coming out that will bump it to 550hp... and that it costs 12 g;s, but won't void warranty... my thoughts: ":bs:"
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 12:56 PM   #21
thej's
Registered
Rep
Drives:

there is only one BMW dealership in omaha, another in lincoln. my dad and i put our names on the wait list about a month ago for omaha and they told us there were not very many names thus far. so if he is right about the limited # i still feel ok about my chances
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #22
Wolfpack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everything in my garage

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevere92 View Post
WolfPack,

Where in Iowa are you from?
Mason City. Up in the Northland.

One post yes. I am a lurker and only post on message boards occasionally. I check for new info, but hate to see people post what they don't know or make silly comments. It is amazing what comes up on some posts. I have an issue with most dealerships and their staff, but this comment hit close as it is the one dealership I have found to consitantly deal in a direct and honest manner.

I am a long time BMW CCA member and instructor and try to help with driving issues when they come up.

And I have my name on the list with a group planning a 6 pack Euro delivery day come spring.

I'll shut up and wait for some new information.