BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
msos
always been a BMW fan.........
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Porsche 997

Question Track Wheel-Tire recommendations running Stock Suspension?

Just recieved 2011 135i with DCT and in about a month (after break-in) I want to take it to a track event (Drivers Ed.....no racing, timing etc.) to get to know the cars capabilities better in a safe place. Considering the following I would really appreciate your recommendations and thoughts:

My driving style is to use about 70-80% of the cars capabilities on the track

Previous track toys: Audi RS4, 3rd generation M3, Ferrari 360- all completely stock worked just fine for me......I did not even do different tires.........

Understanding the 135i stock Run Flats are NOT track friendly.........I want to get a track set of tires/wheels that I will put on the car just for track events only.

I have MSport Package,and wanted to know if I need to do anything else other than sticky tires for track day # 1......anticipating needing suspension mods after 1 or 2 events........ but for now I wanted to try and get a better feel for the car first with just good sticky rubber.....Am I wrong in this approach??
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

At 70-80% you'll be fine with the stock tires at most tracks. I took mine to Roebling Road and was really surprised at how much grip they had. You will probably find other aspects of the car to be more limiting, like the soft suspension, oil/water temps, and brakes, especially in a hot climate.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
msos
always been a BMW fan.........
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Porsche 997

at the events I attend I am usually on track for no more than 20-30 minutes at a time...........with at least a 1hour cool down in between sessions......with stock brakes, tires, fluids etc.....in all my prior cars never had issues with overheating etc........

As the road test reports I have seen on 135i all seem to say on the track it could do with better suspension........I was thinking rather than use runflats and beat them up on the track.......I would put track tires on possibly eliminating the need to do the suspension upgrades.........but from what you are saying it sounds like the suspension needs upgrading more importantly than the tires or equally as important.......
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

You may want to look at my earlier writeup about Roebling: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5849329

At that track, suspension alone made little difference. Suspension and tires made a big difference. Hard to say what tires alone would do. I suspect increased body roll would limit the gains on stock suspension.

I had no issues with temps, but I was running in mild weather, and I wasn't using much of the 6-7000 rpm range, which I'm sure helps keep the temps down. There's so much torque in the lower gears there's not much point in winding to 7K anyway.

Roebling is also pretty easy on brakes, even though I was getting on them at an indicated 150+.
Appreciate 0